What was with Grant Delpit deliberately trying to take Tua’s knee out?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One guy hit high, the other low, like it was planned.
You know, looking at that, it's a wonder they didn't succeed in taking him out of the game, perhaps forever. It's about as dirty as it gets. I guess there's really no point into trying to take LSU's QB out of the game, in any event...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
You know, looking at that, it's a wonder they didn't succeed in taking him out of the game, perhaps forever. It's about as dirty as it gets. I guess there's really no point into trying to take LSU's QB out of the game, in any event...
Which is why most referee's step in front of the QB. I thought he was finished for the year when I first saw that hit. Never were so many so happy that a player got hit in the "goodies." (Where did that nickname come from anyway?)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Which is why most referee's step in front of the QB. I thought he was finished for the year when I first saw that hit. Never were so many so happy that a player got hit in the "goodies." (Where did that nickname come from anyway?)
I would give a pretty penny to see/hear the communications between Shaw and this crew. All our opponents think it's an advantage to have him heading up the officials' office. In fact, he's bent over so far backwards not to appear biased, it's hurt us...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's interesting that some of the players heard the whistle and stopped but the two guys who had Tua in their sights didn't???

When you watch the TV angle replay, Delpit starts to "go low" about 2 steps before he hit's Tua.

That's a good observation about his right leg/cleats not being planted too. It caused him to go down like a sack of potatoes, but that's better than what would have happened if his foot was planted.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here is the last section of the targeting rule: "Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet." The QB, after the play is blown dead fits the definition of "defenseless" player. So LSU managed to walk on TWO targeting calls in that game. Nevertheless, a couple of posters on their boards still have the temerity (or just plain stupidity) to claim we had help from the officials...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yes, could have been multiple fouls there on LSU:

targetting, per rule, hitting with the crown of the helmet

dead ball, late hit/unecessary roughness/personal foul - whatever

We had been whisted for "false start" but the other foul should have been walked off/enforced after our false start and shouldn't have been offsetting because it occurred after the play.

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
I have not heard anything about alabama staff making a complaint about this to the SEC, why is this? I would think you would do this to at least put a bug in officials ears for next game.
I would think there is a process. At the very least it is a legitimate argument that the hit on tua was to deliberately injure. What makes this blatantly obvious is game situation everyone goes for the exposed ball, it was sitting right in front of Delpit and he ignored it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I have not heard anything about alabama staff making a complaint about this to the SEC, why is this? I would think you would do this to at least put a bug in officials ears for next game.
I would think there is a process. At the very least it is a legitimate argument that the hit on tua was to deliberately injure. What makes this blatantly obvious is game situation everyone goes for the exposed ball, it was sitting right in front of Delpit and he ignored it.
Because Saban wouldn't publicly say he made a complaint. He very well could have, and we don't know because it wasn't publicized.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Delpit could've pulled a knife on Tua last Saturday yet if Alabama publicly made a complaint the media would be all over Saban's ass for the audacity to levy complaints while being a contender. That is how the game works and Saban knows it. He saves these complaints for the proper channels.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.