Reporter - who claimed Tua Tagovailoa ‘overrated,’ compared him to Tim Tebow

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
So we are to believe some maroon who probably never played a down of football outside the backyard over people like Danielson & Dilfer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
So we are to believe some maroon who probably never played a down of football outside the backyard over people like Danielson & Dilfer?

That's one of many reasons there's so much rift between coaches and players and sports writers. Most of them never played competitive sports in their lives.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
This is as crazy as some who say Saban is over rated and over paid. Just look at the numbers, nuff said.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is as crazy as some who say Saban is over rated and over paid. Just look at the numbers, nuff said.
At least "overpaid" is a 100% qualitative and subjective assessment. Throwing motion analysis and his ability to read defenses post-snap are quantitative and this guy's opinion is verifiably wrong.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Lol what is this cat smoking. Tua has the quickest release of any QB I have ever seen. He throws lasers to receivers in stride almost every pass. This dude has invented some alternate reality QB to complain about.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
LOL - fans of several NFL teams want their team to sandbag this year and next year to get Tua. This guy has to have an agenda. No way he really believes that tripe.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I didn't read the article because I don't wanna give the guy a click. But Tua sure didn't lock on the receiver at the end of the national championship game did he?
Well, actually yah - kinda. He'd made up his mind where he wanted to go with the ball before the ball was snapped based on what he had seen from that coverage earlier. He looked the safety off with the intent of going to Smith the whole time.

He goes through his progressions pretty well. Sometimes I think the pedantic criticism is that he trusts his pre-snap reads too much after the play has started. Part of that is thanks to our receivers being so dominant and almost always getting open. When he is willing to he can go through all of his reads with ease. We've seen him do it a number of times.

But the guy's criticism that he just stares down receivers means he hasn't watched all his snaps. He stares down LB's and DE's on RPO plays. Typically those are the zones where the receiver will be running. If that's what he's talking about then he really doesn't know Tua. Multiple commentators have talked about how he fakes, looks off or goes through progressions on just about all of his non-RPO plays.

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
Well, actually yah - kinda. He'd made up his mind where he wanted to go with the ball before the ball was snapped based on what he had seen from that coverage earlier. He looked the safety off with the intent of going to Smith the whole time.

He goes through his progressions pretty well. Sometimes I think the pedantic criticism is that he trusts his pre-snap reads too much after the play has started. Part of that is thanks to our receivers being so dominant and almost always getting open. When he is willing to he can go through all of his reads with ease. We've seen him do it a number of times.

But the guy's criticism that he just stares down receivers means he hasn't watched all his snaps. He stares down LB's and DE's on RPO plays. Typically those are the zones where the receiver will be running. If that's what he's talking about then he really doesn't know Tua. Multiple commentators have talked about how he fakes, looks off or goes through progressions on just about all of his non-RPO plays.
Presnap reads aren't a bad thing. Its why every team in the NFL and college do Presnap motion. And he didn't lock onto the receiver at all. He didn't even look his way till he was ready to release the ball. Locking onto a receiver is looking at him from the get go. Mentally locking onto him vs physically is two different things.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Presnap reads aren't a bad thing. Its why every team in the NFL and college do Presnap motion. And he didn't lock onto the receiver at all. He didn't even look his way till he was ready to release the ball. Locking onto a receiver is looking at him from the get go. Mentally locking onto him vs physically is two different things.
I didn't say pre-snap reads were bad things. They are only bad if what you saw pre-snap doesn't end up being right but you refuse to come off it. Tua has maybe only done that 5 times this whole season.

And he did lock onto Smith. He knew before the ball was snapped that that was where he was going to go. NFL QB's do it all the time. It's not a criticism to say he did it in that scenario. He moved the defense early with his eyes because he knew he wanted to go to Smith. We've seen him do it multiple times sense. He'll look of a LB or safety to get a little more space for his guy. It's not an actual issue for Tua

A negative example of this is someone like Blake Sims who had a really nasty habit of just staring Amari Cooper down and trying to force the ball in there. THAT is really locking onto a receiver.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
His view is his opinion and it is worth less than mine. At least I can see that the ONLY things that Tebow and Tua have in common are their choice of throwing arms and their playing positions. Other than that? Nothing in common. Oh yeah....both were recruited by Bama.

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
I didn't say pre-snap reads were bad things. They are only bad if what you saw pre-snap doesn't end up being right but you refuse to come off it. Tua has maybe only done that 5 times this whole season.

And he did lock onto Smith. He knew before the ball was snapped that that was where he was going to go. NFL QB's do it all the time. It's not a criticism to say he did it in that scenario. He moved the defense early with his eyes because he knew he wanted to go to Smith. We've seen him do it multiple times sense. He'll look of a LB or safety to get a little more space for his guy. It's not an actual issue for Tua

A negative example of this is someone like Blake Sims who had a really nasty habit of just staring Amari Cooper down and trying to force the ball in there. THAT is really locking onto a receiver.
Maybe its our definition of locking onto a receiver that's the issue. When I say and think "locking onto a receiver" I mean he is staring at him the whole time. From what I'm gathering from you when you say it is that mentally he was locked onto the receiver, though not physically (in this case) looking at him.
So we are probably both right ;)

timmer0911

3rd Team
Jan 4, 2005
Mobile, AL

I think he’s crazy! The throwing motion is not even close! On a lighter note, it’s not like he’s comparing him to Kyle Pennington. Lol

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Looking the safety off is the exact opposite of locking on to your receiver... ;)

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
LOL - fans of several NFL teams want their team to sandbag this year and next year to get Tua. This guy has to have an agenda. No way he really believes that tripe.
Probably click bait is his agenda and you guys are clicking away. Me...couldn't care less what he said...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.