News Article: Bama fan beaten in bar fight after LSU game, dies in hospital Tuesday

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
PONCHATOULA - Family members of a devout Alabama football fan say he was fatally beaten while out celebrating Saturday night's game in a Tangipahoa Parish bar.

According to police, officers were called to the Ponchatoula Pub early Sunday morning in response to a bar fight with injuries. Police said 46-year-old Robert Bowers suffered serious injuries after being knocked unconscious by two other men at the bar.

Ponchatoula police say a volunteer firefighter provided medical attention until an ambulance arrived and transported Bowers to North Oaks Medical Center in Hammond. He was later moved to University Medical Center where he died Tuesday.

Bama fan beaten in bar fight after LSU game, dies in hospital Tuesday

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Having been in a few bar fights while in the Army I can tell you that there are usually no innocent parties involved. I have no idea what happened here. It is always tragic to see someone's life ended senselessly. But I wouldn't rush to judgement here, either.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
PONCHATOULA - Family members of a devout Alabama football fan say he was fatally beaten while out celebrating Saturday night's game in a Tangipahoa Parish bar.

According to police, officers were called to the Ponchatoula Pub early Sunday morning in response to a bar fight with injuries. Police said 46-year-old Robert Bowers suffered serious injuries after being knocked unconscious by two other men at the bar.

Ponchatoula police say a volunteer firefighter provided medical attention until an ambulance arrived and transported Bowers to North Oaks Medical Center in Hammond. He was later moved to University Medical Center where he died Tuesday.

Bama fan beaten in bar fight after LSU game, dies in hospital Tuesday
Used to live in Hammond. Ponchatoula is a little burg right next to Hammond. That area is full of good ole boys and Cajuns ( although not technically in Acadiana section of Louisiana ), the vast majority of whom will be L8U fans. Not a good place to be if you`ve had a few, are a fan of another school (particularly us ) and are not a gracious winner. That would be a set up for disaster, trust me.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Having been in a few bar fights while in the Army I can tell you that there are usually no innocent parties involved. I have no idea what happened here. It is always tragic to see someone's life ended senselessly. But I wouldn't rush to judgement here, either.
Not to excuse the wrong... but this is why our mommas always said "there's nothing good that happens after midnight." Combine that with alcohol and a bar atmosphere and it raises the warning 100X.

Hope they find the persons responsible and bring them to justice.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Used to live in Hammond. Ponchatoula is a little burg right next to Hammond. That area is full of good ole boys and Cajuns ( although not technically in Acadiana section of Louisiana ), the vast majority of whom will be L8U fans. Not a good place to be if you`ve had a few, are a fan of another school (particularly us ) and are not a gracious winner. That would be a set up for disaster, trust me.
But NOTHING excuses beating someone over a football game. Those who did this will regret their poor decisions for the rest of their lives.

And, I have friends who have been sucker punched in Baton Rouge in a McDonalds while ordering a Big Mac after an Alabama game there, so it's possible this guy did nothing to warrant this at all. But, I'll wait for more information, assuming the authorities do a reasonable job investigating before throwing anyone under the bus.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The LSU fanbase was just too worked up. I suspect the Bama fan was running his mouth in the wrong bar and the alcohol kicked in on both sides. Absolutely senseless. I can only imagine how this affects others.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
There is nothing he could have possibly said or done to deserve being beaten to death. I think a rush to judgement is OK in this case.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I am sure Mr. Bower did some trash talking. That hardly mitigates his being beat to death.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There is nothing he could have possibly said or done to deserve being beaten to death. I think a rush to judgement is OK in this case.
It is never okay to rush to judgement. Never. But I agree that if this was about the game, no matter what this man might have said, those who beat him need to be held accountable.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I've never been a trash talker....especially living in Louisiana. Regardless of why it happened -- I wish people (and men especially) would consider what you are leaving behind ..... and keep your mouth closed and your veins booze free....

The most I did after the game was post: The Sounds of Silence on Facebook...... it just seemed appropriate

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I've never been a trash talker....especially living in Louisiana. Regardless of why it happened -- I wish people (and men especially) would consider what you are leaving behind ..... and keep your mouth closed and your veins booze free....

The most I did after the game was post: The Sounds of Silence on Facebook...... it just seemed appropriate
The only semi-trash talking I do is here, among friends, knowing I'm "preaching to the choir." In mixed company, I refrain, and get no joy out of it whatsoever.

As I said in the other thread, alcohol and tempers do not mix. I love your statement - consider what you are leaving behind. Multiple families have now been destroyed because of this.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Stupid. Just stupid. Perhaps the greatest paradox I've ever encountered is how the human race can be loving, good, and inspirational in one instance, and so hateful, evil, and stupid in another.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree with B1G on this horrible incident. OTOH I am shocked, I say shocked, he would be involved in any kind of altercation in a bar. :rolleyes:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I read part of the thread on Tiger Droppings about this. It may have involved a woman more than the game.

Someone quoted an article that said one of the killers got married on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.