News Article: Bama fan beaten in bar fight after LSU game, dies in hospital Tuesday
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Bama fan beaten in bar fight after LSU game, dies in hospital Tuesday

PONCHATOULA - Family members of a devout Alabama football fan say he was fatally beaten while out celebrating Saturday night's game in a Tangipahoa Parish bar.

According to police, officers were called to the Ponchatoula Pub early Sunday morning in response to a bar fight with injuries. Police said 46-year-old Robert Bowers suffered serious injuries after being knocked unconscious by two other men at the bar.

Ponchatoula police say a volunteer firefighter provided medical attention until an ambulance arrived and transported Bowers to North Oaks Medical Center in Hammond. He was later moved to University Medical Center where he died Tuesday.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Bama fan beaten in bar fight after LSU game, dies in hospital Tuesday

Just horrible ... and senseless

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Thanks for starting the thread. This is a senseless act that transcends the sport. It's a game. I hope they throw the book at them.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Having been in a few bar fights while in the Army I can tell you that there are usually no innocent parties involved. I have no idea what happened here. It is always tragic to see someone's life ended senselessly. But I wouldn't rush to judgement here, either.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    PONCHATOULA - Family members of a devout Alabama football fan say he was fatally beaten while out celebrating Saturday night's game in a Tangipahoa Parish bar.

According to police, officers were called to the Ponchatoula Pub early Sunday morning in response to a bar fight with injuries. Police said 46-year-old Robert Bowers suffered serious injuries after being knocked unconscious by two other men at the bar.

Ponchatoula police say a volunteer firefighter provided medical attention until an ambulance arrived and transported Bowers to North Oaks Medical Center in Hammond. He was later moved to University Medical Center where he died Tuesday.

Used to live in Hammond. Ponchatoula is a little burg right next to Hammond. That area is full of good ole boys and Cajuns ( although not technically in Acadiana section of Louisiana ), the vast majority of whom will be L8U fans. Not a good place to be if you`ve had a few, are a fan of another school (particularly us ) and are not a gracious winner. That would be a set up for disaster, trust me.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Having been in a few bar fights while in the Army I can tell you that there are usually no innocent parties involved. I have no idea what happened here. It is always tragic to see someone's life ended senselessly. But I wouldn't rush to judgement here, either.
    Not to excuse the wrong... but this is why our mommas always said "there's nothing good that happens after midnight." Combine that with alcohol and a bar atmosphere and it raises the warning 100X.

Hope they find the persons responsible and bring them to justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    Used to live in Hammond. Ponchatoula is a little burg right next to Hammond. That area is full of good ole boys and Cajuns ( although not technically in Acadiana section of Louisiana ), the vast majority of whom will be L8U fans. Not a good place to be if you`ve had a few, are a fan of another school (particularly us ) and are not a gracious winner. That would be a set up for disaster, trust me.
    But NOTHING excuses beating someone over a football game. Those who did this will regret their poor decisions for the rest of their lives.

And, I have friends who have been sucker punched in Baton Rouge in a McDonalds while ordering a Big Mac after an Alabama game there, so it's possible this guy did nothing to warrant this at all. But, I'll wait for more information, assuming the authorities do a reasonable job investigating before throwing anyone under the bus.
    The Golden Rule for internet postings:

If you don't have anything nice to say, then say it with class, say it eloquently, and for goodness sake use the English language like your English teacher tried so hard to teach you.

Quote Originally Posted by mdb-tpet View Post
    But NOTHING excuses beating someone over a football game. Those who did this will regret their poor decisions for the rest of their lives.
    I've read varying reports about this already and I'm not convinced it has anything to do with the football game.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I've read varying reports about this already and I'm not convinced it has anything to do with the football game.
    While still a tragedy, I hope you are correct!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

The LSU fanbase was just too worked up. I suspect the Bama fan was running his mouth in the wrong bar and the alcohol kicked in on both sides. Absolutely senseless. I can only imagine how this affects others.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

There is nothing he could have possibly said or done to deserve being beaten to death. I think a rush to judgement is OK in this case.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame RammerJammer14's Avatar

I am sure Mr. Bower did some trash talking. That hardly mitigates his being beat to death.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Good Lord. Ridiculous and senseless. Hope these guys get the book thrown at them.
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.