News Article: Bama fan beaten in bar fight after LSU game, dies in hospital Tuesday

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
Who gets married on the day of an Alabama at LSU game? There are 40 Saturdays every year when there is no Alabama football game. Re-reading that last sentence is depressing.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Do have a link where that info is posted? I, for one, have not seen it...
Found it: https://www.nola.com/crime/2018/11/...ht-dies-two-suspects-arrested-police-say.html

As I said 'IIRC' - she wasn't a witness to the event.

Bowers’ daughter, Alexandria Bowers told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune that she and her boyfriend, her father and her female cousin went to the bar to watch the LSU-Alabama football game Saturday night. She and her boyfriend left early because she had to get up early the next day.

Witnesses told her that while her dad and cousin were at the bar, a man took issue with some of the interactions the cousin was having with one of the women at the bar, Bowers said.

...snip...

Alexandria Bowers said she was told one of the men approached her father, tapped him on the shoulder and said, “Your old lady . . .” (referring to the cousin) and then punched him, she said.
As for one of the murderers being a KY / Bama 'fan', I guess you'll have to take my word for it - saw a link to his FB page and saw the images myself, but now he's locked his page down: https://www.facebook.com/zeke.anthony.7?lst=708662603:100001428883910:1541683094

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Thanks - if the police chief said that publicly then it likely went down much like that. Changes this from a drunken accident to murder, IMO.
Yah, I've read several reports that said he was sucker punched, then they jumped on him and hit him more while he was unconscious. SMH

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Sometimes it's the little things you learn - or don't learn - in life that can end up saving or ending your life...

Violence is a part of human nature. Anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves. And violence can very often be a very effective solution to a problem, though - more often than not - a stupid one with larger consequences. That being said, learning how, when, and why to use violence along with learning how to defuse a potentially violent situation can be very useful - especially in places full of stupid people, like bars where people have made themselves stupid with alcohol.

If two drunk guys approach you at a table, you're much more likely to get punched in the face if you stand up and get in one of their faces. If you feel the need to stand, position your chair as you stand between yourself and one of the other guys in order to prevent a flanking attack, aka, a sucker punch. Most people, especially if they're drunk, can't generate power in a punch without heavily stepping into it. Don't let confronters' faces get out of your vision. People's faces typically flush when they're going to yell and go pale when they're going punch. A few extra milliseconds and the knowledge of an incoming punch can make literally all the difference when it comes to defending yourself.

Finally - and this one I've learned the hard way - stepping in between two people or two groups of people in an attempt to prevent a potentially oncoming fight makes you about three times as likely to catch a punch from one of them than if you wait until the fight has actually begun and about 10 times as likely than if you don't get involved at all.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Not LSU, but I have to be honest. I live in Atlanta and have had some terrible experiences with UGA fans. I don't talk much trash (5'10" 170 doesn't really allow it!) but they are...aggressive.

That actually played a role in my not going to the NC game last year, and probably why I will watch the SEC Championship from my house. Sad state, but true...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It is never okay to rush to judgement. Never. But I agree that if this was about the game, no matter what this man might have said, those who beat him need to be held accountable.
In most cases when over consumption of alcohol is involved, it's never "about the game" or any other reason given for the Tomfoolery that unfolded. It's because too much alcohol was consumed and those involved are out of their right mind and do stupid stuff. Which leads to unfortunate things like this. Absent the excessive alcohol, my guess this would have been nothing more than a few words and everyone goes about their merry way.

EDIT:

Just read the above linked article. Yeah, this is something much different. Manslaughter/murder may be what took place here. Oh good lord.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not LSU, but I have to be honest. I live in Atlanta and have had some terrible experiences with UGA fans. I don't talk much trash (5'10" 170 doesn't really allow it!) but they are...aggressive.

That actually played a role in my not going to the NC game last year, and probably why I will watch the SEC Championship from my house. Sad state, but true...
They are the only school I know of which banned tailgating for a year because of their own fans trashing their own campus. They trashed the Quad when they visited during Shula's reign and stole our pennants from the north EZ. Add to it the dumbest school yell of all - "Woof, Woof!"

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

It's why I don't attend LSU/Bama games in Baton Rouge. The overwhelming majority of tiger fans are cool beans, but it only takes one bad apple to ruin your day/night, and in Baton Rouge, there's enough bad apples to go around. It's not enough to outnumber the majority of Tiger fans (who are really good people). But it's enough that the odds of an encounter with one is pretty high. I attended the Bama/LSU game in 2006, had a great time. But that's because I was down there WITH a lot of LSU friends. However, I remember seeing Alabama fans who you could tell weren't there with LSU acquaintances and no way in hell I'd go through or subject my family to some of the stuff I saw.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I have a University of Alabama affinity license plate and a script "A" trailer hitch cover on my pickup truck. The rear end of which was bashed in while parked. Obviously intentional because of those items.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

not many uga fans (or at least obnoxious ones) down on my side of town (east point near the airport).

the only "smack" i talked post nc last year was wearing a bama sweatshirt every day for a week after the game. i made sure to walk the dog a lot that week ;)

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
Having been in a few bar fights while in the Army I can tell you that there are usually no innocent parties involved. I have no idea what happened here. It is always tragic to see someone's life ended senselessly. But I wouldn't rush to judgement here, either.
I'll rush to judgement. I have been busy, haven't heard any full story, nor read past your post on this thread, but murder is murder. I do know 2 guys were arrested. So unless this Bama fan had a weapon and threatened their lives, what reason justifies beating another person TO DEATH?! Hell, even if their lives were threatened, enough is enough. At a certain point he was no longer a threat. Right? Apparently he was continually beaten after that fact,yes? So, I make my judgement, which won't matter. But, one day they will meet their maker and face the judgement that does matter. /End Rant.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'll rush to judgement. I have been busy, haven't heard any full story, nor read past your post on this thread, but murder is murder. I do know 2 guys were arrested.
Whatever, dude. When I posted that it was not clear what happened. But you just go ahead and rant without reading the whole thread if it makes you feel better. SMH

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
Whatever, dude. When I posted that it was not clear what happened. But you just go ahead and rant without reading the whole thread if it makes you feel better. SMH
I won't argue with you. I said what I wanted to say. Even without the whole story, a guy was beaten to death. Anyone with logic would naturally think if the beating was that bad, whatever, if any threat was there, was no longer there before it got to the point it reached this severity. Even before more details were reached, it was safe to say any threat was neutralized. And I wasn't attacking you as a person in any way. I was just saying. It went too far in any circumstance. So, with everything said, I apologise if I came off as attacking you. Didn't mean it in that manner.

Edit: Also apologise for replying before reading your other posts on the subject.

Last edited:

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
I've also wondered since I first heard about this, did this place not have bouncers or anyone to break it up before it got this bad?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.