I think Irv Smith maybe the best TE to play under Saban here. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: I think Irv Smith maybe the best TE to play under Saban here.

No way to tell because OJ didn't have a QB like Tua. When OJ was here we struggled to even throw him a ball every three to four games. When we did include him in game planning he was a complete monster to guard. From an athletic standpoint OJ is superior to Irv. OJ could take a short slant (remember the LSU game) and literally take it 60-70 yards to the house with no one catching up to him. I'm not sure Irv has that type talent.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

2. Advertisement

Some of you are missing the "under Saban here" part of the title.

I would say Irv is better than OJ because he is more complete. He blocks better at this point in his career compared to OJ.

One that doesn't get mentioned much because he only played a year is Colin Peek. Guy got a raw deal from the NCAA, but he was pretty solid in 2009.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

Which of our 1st round TE is the best. #tidefanproblems. Both guys are a true enjoyment to watch. As far as seeing Tua throw to Julio, who knows, we may see that in a couple of years.
    "I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

BamaNation First Team

If OJ had Tua throwing him the ball, I think you would see this very differently. Way different types of offenses. Roll Tide
    RTR! GO CCU!

It's hard to compare OJ and Irv because of the QB and offensive style differences. No doubt that OJ would've been a huge play maker in this offense. I've been praying that we use the TE more in our offense and am so happy to see it now.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I'm like most of you. If OJ had Tua this would be different. But, I love ISJ...he's been the prefect compliment to our 3 speedsters.

But speaking of OJ, he didn't get the touches the ISJ will get with Tua but he cashed in when he got his chances!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T59Nt9jmPNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypu7MMV8Utg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SfBCKv3NeI

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Forgot about the way Smith blocks. He has that in spades. Still, in the pass happy offenses I believe OJ would dominate like nothing we've seen before. Irv is doing phenomenally though, and he may even surpass OJ before it is all over with.

Just checked OJ's stats and compared to Irv's.

In 2016, OJ had 45 catches, 595 yards, and 3 TDs. That's three catches per game.

So far this year, Irv has 26 catches, 448 yards, and 6 TDs. He averages just under three catches per game.

The obvious difference is yards and TDs, which is why we have this impression he's doing more than OJ did in his respective offense.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    I guess that this would be for us "older " members. Ozzie Newsome. Ozzie was a TE at Alabama if memory serves. Were he, OJ and now Irv cut from the same bolt of cloth? Ozzie`s remembered far more for being a great receiver than blocker, I believe.
    This certainly doesnít qualify as under Saban, but if memory serves, Ozzie Newsome played WR at Bama. He was converted to TE by the Browns.

I could easily be wrong about this but what Iím certain of is Newsome was a four year starter and played a couple of years after I graduated. Not all the games were on TV at the time and living in Memphis I couldnít always catch the games on radio. So Newsome could have played TE at Bama.

Coach Bryant called Newsome the best end in the history of Alabama football. High praise indeed from a man who played end opposite Don Hutson.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

He might just have the best statistical season of any tight end here. My understanding is that Ozzie was a SE not TE at Bama so his numbers really ought to be reflected on the WR record book.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

I'm trying to find out how many times both OJ and Irv were targeted to see if there is a big discrepancy. However, I still say this discussion is like comparing apples and oranges because who's behind center and style offense matters, a lot. We're assuming a lot in trying to make this comparison. That the chemistry between OJ and Tua would have been the exact same as Tua and Irv. No one knows. Could have been better, could have been worse. One means more looks, the other means less looks. Who knows? But I guess it's fun to talk about it. I just don't see how any definite conclusion can be made. They both are very good TE's.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; November 8th, 2018 at 10:29 AM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by allybama2009 View Post
    If OJ had Tua throwing him the ball, I think you would see this very differently. Way different types of offenses. Roll Tide
    Wish we could see what an offense would look like with OJ and these four WRs. Four little fast guys and one big guy who can play inline, in the backfield, or flexed wide. Irv is a really good TE. OJ was a freak who we never really utilized to the degree we could've because our QB play in his 4 years was average.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation All-American

We have had some great TE's, we have had some great WR's, but the guys we have now and having Tua as the passer makes any comparison hard to do. Never have we had this much success passing to so many at one time. I like the comparisons but like all our players, I am just really enjoying watching them play. Every era had players, but right now betwen coaches, players and success this is the true GOLDEN era of Bama football. Never has so many had so much success at the same time. As Nissan commercials used to say " Enjoy the ride".