I think Irv Smith maybe the best TE to play under Saban here. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: I think Irv Smith maybe the best TE to play under Saban here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I'm trying to find out how many times both OJ and Irv were targeted to see if there is a big discrepancy. However, I still say this discussion is like comparing apples and oranges because who's behind center and style offense matters, a lot. We're assuming a lot in trying to make this comparison. That the chemistry between OJ and Tua would have been the exact same as Tua and Irv. No one knows. Could have been better, could have been worse. One means more looks, the other means less looks. Who knows? But I guess it's fun to talk about it. I just don't see how any definite conclusion can be made. They both are very good TE's.
    Going off stats from CFB Filmroom:

OJ 2015 - 47
    OJ 2016 - 56
    Total - 103

Irv 2017 - 17
    Irv 2018 (thru week 8) - 30
    Total - 47
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Mike Williams. Irv is a gift. He may end up being our greatest. But don't forget Williams. What if HE had been used more?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenntiderman View Post
    Mike Williams. Irv is a gift. He may end up being our greatest. But don't forget Williams. What if HE had been used more?
    One of my all-time favorite Bama plays was his TD against ND, where he faked the block and McCarron hit him all alone in the EZ. Simple play, but so good.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Irv is a better receiver than OJ. OJ was faster though. I'm not sure OJ would have made that catch Irv made against LSU.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

BamaNation All-American

OJ is the better athlete. Because of that he probably has a higher ceiling.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Iím just excited even having a conversation like that. TE play has been great over the past 5 years. Wow! Someone mentioned Colin Peek, that cat was great who was of course under utilized.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    This certainly doesnít qualify as under Saban, but if memory serves, Ozzie Newsome played WR at Bama. He was converted to TE by the Browns.

I could easily be wrong about this but what Iím certain of is Newsome was a four year starter and played a couple of years after I graduated. Not all the games were on TV at the time and living in Memphis I couldnít always catch the games on radio. So Newsome could have played TE at Bama.

Coach Bryant called Newsome the best end in the history of Alabama football. High praise indeed from a man who played end opposite Don Hutson.
    You are not wrong. He played Split End at Alabama, meaning he was split wide every play and was basically a WR. Rick Neal was the TE of this era. Ozzie might line up at TE in some packages, but mostly he split wide. And the Browns converted him to TE in the NFL and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    One of my all-time favorite Bama plays was his TD against ND, where he faked the block and McCarron hit him all alone in the EZ. Simple play, but so good.
    And, as an added bonus, we all got to enjoy Musburgface's poorly concealed disappointment...
    "I have never understood why it is 'greed' to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take the money someone else has earned.Ē

- Thomas Sowell

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    This certainly doesnít qualify as under Saban, but if memory serves, Ozzie Newsome played WR at Bama. He was converted to TE by the Browns.

I could easily be wrong about this but what Iím certain of is Newsome was a four year starter and played a couple of years after I graduated. Not all the games were on TV at the time and living in Memphis I couldnít always catch the games on radio. So Newsome could have played TE at Bama.

Coach Bryant called Newsome the best end in the history of Alabama football. High praise indeed from a man who played end opposite Don Hutson.
    Yes, Ozzie was a WR in college...moved to TE in pros due to size and lack of speed.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

I hate the comparison due to what happened off the field but Irv reminds me of Aaron Hernandez. He is the prototype current NFL TE.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    I hate the comparison due to what happened off the field but Irv reminds me of Aaron Hernandez. He is the prototype current NFL TE.
    Very happy with Irv's play, but I am very happy with how our TEs are employed now. Hasn't always been that way. Anybody remember Preston Gothard? Gothard was not as physical as Irv is, but he was a player. We have had some really good TEs in the past too. Go back and watch some old films from the Perkins days. But I love what Coach Locksley is doing for that position. And yeah..Hernandez was a hybrid TE sorta. Until Ro was assigned to keep him from turning up behind center on that quick pitch from Tebow. Eh eh!

BamaNation All-SEC BamaBoySince89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    Irv is a better receiver than OJ. OJ was faster though. I'm not sure OJ would have made that catch Irv made against LSU.
    OJ wasnít used as much as he should have been but I still think heís better than Iíve up to this point. But whoís to say Irv wonít be the best before he leaves Bama

Who want the smoke wit Bama?

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    Yes, Ozzie was a WR in college...moved to TE in pros due to size and lack of speed.
    Ozzie was loved at Bama from the get go. An unusual Freshman athlete. Also.......When Todd threw him the ball, He caught it. Oz played a big part in Bama breaking our bowl game losing streak in 1975 against Penn St. Todd had utmost confidence in Ozzie. As did Jeff Rutledge. Bama DID have a play where he lined up close (like a TE) and Ozzie would go into motion and take a pitch from the he QB and turned up behind the OL. Similar to what Hernandez did at Florida. CPB didn't use that play but maybe a couple of times as I can remember. May be someone here who can remember more than I.