Excellent TV program on NOVA: Last B-24

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I got to see a B-17 close up, on which my brother was a navigator during WWII. I was surprised at how cramped it way. OTOH, when my BIL was the director down at KSFC, we got to tour a shuttle while they were refurbing it. It was even tighter. They were gluing tiles back on the bottom. I asked about that and was assured that it wasn't a big deal, that they came off all the time. It was Columbia...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I got to see a B-17 close up, on which my brother was a navigator during WWII. I was surprised at how cramped it way. OTOH, when my BIL was the director down at KSFC, we got to tour a shuttle while they were refurbing it. It was even tighter. They were gluing tiles back on the bottom. I asked about that and was assured that it wasn't a big deal, that they came off all the time. It was Columbia...
I hope you get a chance to watch this documentary, Earle. Especially with your family military history involving these aircraft.

In the documentary, they point out how much sturdier the B-17 was than the B-24. Very interesting.....

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Enjoyed the program, too. We lost a family member “flying the hump” over the Himalayas in WWII, body never recovered. He’s listed on the wall of the missing at the National Memorial Cemetary in Hawaii. It’s real, him missing, we still wait. Only two members of the family are still alive that knew him, but we wait. It’s strange.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.