How to Fix Our Democracy

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Ah, simple questions. ;)
Haha, of course not...

But it is an aspect of saving our democracy that needs to be addressed. And while I don't want to pay more than I already do under tour current system, I'll happily do so if we can ensure that everyone who has the right to vote also has some skin in the game (pays some federal taxes). I believe it's every bit as important as keeping lobby and corporate money out of politics, as time and again I've seen people get far more involved and far more interested in issues when they've paid part fo their own income towards them...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't like how they lump the entire bottom 50% into a single category. The IRS has slightly more granular data, and the most recent information I can find is from tax year 2016: LINK

It's pretty much impossible to calculate the difference between someone's marginal rate and what their actual tax rate without knowing their AGI. But this is as good as we can get.

I find the line showing percent of AGI subject to reduced tax rate (long-term capital gains and dividends) to be pretty illuminating. The highest income bracket is getting more than 50% of their income taxed at a reduced rate, and the rest is probably in a tax-advantaged pass-through entity. Many of the bottom 50% do get tax credits, but they do not have access to these tax subsidies available to the higher income brackets.

Total revenue on bottom 50% (defined as <$50,000 per your link):
78,659 million (before tax credits)
-15,790 million (after tax credits)

Average* income subject to reduced tax rate: 0.9% (range: 1-1.3%)

Total tax revenue on top 1% (defined as >$500,000 per twofbyc's link):
527,721 million

Average* income subject to reduced tax rate: 27.3% (range: 12.5-53.7%)

* note that these are super rough estimates because I simply averaged the categories without accounting for the relative populations within each. Only on my first cup of coffee here.

Even if you eliminated the tax credits, there's just not much money you can squeeze out of the bottom 50%. On the other hand, I do wonder what this spreadsheet would look like if capital gains were taxed as ordinary income, and if LLC loophopes (including the new ones added by the GOP tax bill) were closed.
What exactly does this mean?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
What exactly does this mean?
I was specifically thinking of an LLC or S corp when I wrote that, but there are a number of tax avoidance strategies that only the very rich can employ, from shell companies to tax opinion letters, and that was the thrust of the point.

A bunch of law professors published an analysis of all the ways rich people can avoid paying taxes under the GOP tax plan: LINK

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.