Which team was better? Miami 2002 or USC 2005?

POLL: Which team was better: Miami 2002 or USC 2005

• Miami 2002

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • USC 2005

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
Both defending national champions that lost in their respective national championship games.
Miami, the defending national champion, went 12-1 losing to Ohio State in double overtime in controversial fashion (they got jobbed) in the national championship game. The Hurricanes had a 34-game winning streak end that night. Some of the Miami’s outstanding players were: Ken Dorsey, Willis McGahee, Kellen Winslow, Jr., Jonathan Vilma, Vince Wilfork, and Sean Taylor.
USC, the two-time defending national champion seeking an unprecedented third straight national championship, went 12-1 losing 41-38 to Texas in the national championship game in what many consider the greatest college football game of all-time. The Trojans had their 34-game winning streak end that night. USC had a pair of Heisman Trophy winners in their backfield in quarterback Matt Leinart and running back Reggie Bush. Some other outstanding players for the Trojans were: LenDale White, Steve Smith, Dwayne Jarrett, Darnell Bing, Sam Baker and Taitusi Lutui.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Probably USC. But they were both excellent teams. Probably the two best championship losers of the modern era along with 2016 Alabama.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Did Taitusi Lutui have a nickname?

I'd go w/USC.
Actually his nickname was "Tiny" while being listed at 6'4" 330.

If you're talking the USC team that blew out Oklahoma, I'd pick them over Miami 2002. If you're talking the 2005 USC team that lost to Texas, I'd pick Miami 2002. USC 2005 defense had a lot of talented but inexperienced players, and a poor Pac-10 conference that year covered up some of their lack of execution. For example, I think if Frostee Rucker played assignment football, and didn't bite so hard on the fake handoff from Vince Young, he tackles Young, and Texas might not win the game.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
USC won the 2004 title. That's it. They played in 2 BCS championship games during the days of the BCS - 2004 and 2005. They lost in 2005.

And yes, technically that 2004 title was vacated.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
2002 Miami

USC should have lost to Notre Dame and played quite poorly but won against Arizona St and Fresno.

Miami was so good that them losing was a bit of a shock.
I wasn't shocked at all when USC lost because I'd watched Texas play several games.

As far as Miami and the pass interference, let's look at it another way: Miami had first and goal at the TWO......and failed to score. If you can't fall six feet, you don't deserve to win.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.