UCF fans irate at being ranked below a 2 loss Kentucky team.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Sad little bunch they are.
I agree with you. Here is the truth. You have to play your conference games but the OOC games can get the job done. I will list a couple of MAC teams OOC and say that if UCF went unbeaten with this they would get some consideration for the CFP

Northern Illinois plays Iowa, Utah and FSU.
Central Michigan plays Kentucky, Kansas and Michigan State.
Kent State plays Illinois, Penn State and Ole Miss.
Bowling Green plays Oregon, Maryland and Georgia Tech.
Akron plays Nebraska, Northwestern and Iowa State.

Yes Central Florida it can be done. You can play four Power Five teams if you think you belong there. That is the rub, you don't schedule four of them because you know you be lucky to split four games. 1. Schedule four Power Five teams and show the world you are doing all you can be expected to do. 2. Then go undefeated and watch the respect come to you without whining.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Colley Matrix head ND as #1 in 2012 - AFTER Bama throttled them.

IOW, it's beyond meaningless.
That Colley Matrix is a strange connivance of data. A few years ago I kept up with 25 computers for a season and selected the ten best performers for the season. Colley was NOT among the top half. It had a chance but it kept doing crazy picks at least in two or three games each week. I can't remember what they were but as an example it would have Miss State beating Bama this week and maybe Syracuse knocking off Notre Dame. You can't go out on a limb picking huge upsets unless you have ESP and Colley does not have ESP.

I agree with you. Here is the truth. You have to play your conference games but the OOC games can get the job done. I will list a couple of MAC teams OOC and say that if UCF went unbeaten with this they would get some consideration for the CFP

Northern Illinois plays Iowa, Utah and FSU.
Central Michigan plays Kentucky, Kansas and Michigan State.
Kent State plays Illinois, Penn State and Ole Miss.
Bowling Green plays Oregon, Maryland and Georgia Tech.
Akron plays Nebraska, Northwestern and Iowa State.

Yes Central Florida it can be done. You can play four Power Five teams if you think you belong there. That is the rub, you don't schedule four of them because you know you be lucky to split four games. 1. Schedule four Power Five teams and show the world you are doing all you can be expected to do. 2. Then go undefeated and watch the respect come to you without whining.
They’d play the least of those conferences though. They’ll line up Kansas, Vandy, and Maryland all day.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have said many times on here that the Group of 5 conferences should be in a separate division with their own NC Playoff. There are 60 teams in their 5 conferences. Let them have their own playoff committee and bowl alignment to determine their NC. They can still schedule Power 5 or FCS Division teams as out of conference games if they so choose. Adding Independents would give this division 64 teams.

1. AAC
2. Mid American
3. Sunbelt
4. Conference USA
5. Mountain West

Independents: Army, New Mexico St, Liberty and U Mass

Last edited:

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Why should they care. All they have to do is declare once again that they are the champions and have another parade.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Yup, KY would almost certainly beat UCF if they played.

If UCF wants respect, earn it. Playing a dozen cupcakes doesn't prove anything. Half of the SEC would go undefeated against that schedule...
I'm acquaintances with a couple that are huge UCF fans. The wife graduated from UCF, and the husband graduated from the University of North Florida. Husband also roots for Ohio State, South Carolina, and UCF. They both think UCF is better than Alabama because of the one game where UCF beat Alabama, and because they currently have the nation's longest winning streak. He also believes that most of the Power 5 football is a sham, and that whole system is rigged against the likes of UCF and others.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm acquaintances with a couple that are huge UCF fans. The wife graduated from UCF, and the husband graduated from the University of North Florida. Husband also roots for Ohio State, South Carolina, and UCF. They both think UCF is better than Alabama because of the one game where UCF beat Alabama, and because they currently have the nation's longest winning streak. He also believes that most of the Power 5 football is a sham, and that whole system is rigged against the likes of UCF and others.
My BiL graduated from UCF and works for UCF. He believes that UCF deserves a share of the title last year, but he has told me several times that Alabama would totally dominate them this year. My point - all UCF fans feels like they deserve some recognition for what they have done, but not all are delusional.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
My BiL graduated from UCF and works for UCF. He believes that UCF deserves a share of the title last year, but he has told me several times that Alabama would totally dominate them this year. My point - all UCF fans feels like they deserve some recognition for what they have done, but not all are delusional.
I'd say they have gotten their recognition, but some of them (like my acquaintance) make it sound like that the CFB committee would rather take the current Arkansas team over a two-year undefeated UCF team. Much like Boise State, they have to literally keep winning 10+ games each year while increasing the level of competition for the next 5-10 years before anyone will take them seriously. It may suck for them as a program, but that's what it requires to be considered a typical good team with some level of respect.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have the solution. UCF should declare themselves Ahead of Two-Loss Teams in the CFP Championship. The Florida Legislature could make a Ahead of Two-Loss Teams in the polls Championship and have a statewide parade. I think Better than 2-Loss teams car tags would be a big seller.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
"Because we beat the team who beat the team that won the title".......

Here are some other national champions using this logic:

1982 - Alabama
1983 - Florida
1985 - Tennessee (beat the team who beat the team who won the title)
1989 - Southern Mississippi (beat the team who beat the team..)
1990 - Minnesota (beat Iowa who beat Illinois who beat Colorado)
1993 - Boston College

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
UCF......... University of Crying Foul.......... beat a team that is relevant. Not some 3 loss AU in a meaningless bowl game. Beat a team that is relevant when it is relevant, like in the regular season. Everyone knows outside of the CFP most teams do not care abut bowls anymore, they are truly meaningless. We all know good teams get beat in meaningless bowls every freaking yr. UCF be careful what you ask for, you may just get it. Ask all the teams that screamed we want Bama, asked them how that turned out for them LOL

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.