UCF fans irate at being ranked below a 2 loss Kentucky team.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I'm acquaintances with a couple that are huge UCF fans. The wife graduated from UCF, and the husband graduated from the University of North Florida. Husband also roots for Ohio State, South Carolina, and UCF. They both think UCF is better than Alabama because of the one game where UCF beat Alabama, and because they currently have the nation's longest winning streak. He also believes that most of the Power 5 football is a sham, and that whole system is rigged against the likes of UCF and others.
That is an interesting world view, I guess...

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
The only path a school like UCF eventually makes a playoff is a very long path..... First, they would have to schedule (& win or be really competitive) a couple of kickoff classics or regular season games against Power 5 teams. Second, (with a few of those prior mentioned games under their belt with positive outcomes) they will have to join a Power 5 conference that wants to expand (perhaps the Big 12 into Florida....maybe the ACC). No Group of 5 team is ever going to make the playoff under the current playoff structure....maybe...maybe if they expand it to 8 in a decade or so... Lastly, go undefeated or 1 loss in their new Power 5 conference......... This is the only way I see any team from a Group of 5 conference making the current playoff structure.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
UCF might play Stanford next year in Orlando. I say might because it will somehow get canceled due to a hurricane. It has been a running theme the last 2 years.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I have the solution. UCF should declare themselves Ahead of Two-Loss Teams in the CFP Championship. The Florida Legislature could make a Ahead of Two-Loss Teams in the polls Championship and have a statewide parade. I think Better than 2-Loss teams car tags would be a big seller.
Have a parade, give them rings and make license plates. That would make it true, right??? Lol.

Just put em in at #4 so that we can demolish them in the semifinals. Give the whiners what they’re asking for.

Let them learn the old adage, “Careful what you wish for . . .”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
The good news for the defending champs, if you're comparing them to Kentucky schools, is that their strength of schedule matches up favorably with Bellarmine, which doesn't even field a football team, and is only a little shy of the renowned Petrino Dairy Whip toughness gauge.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Before I even read this these schools are the ones that came to mind when thinking of UCF. Utah was the hot new kid on the block screaming for respect and "they were just as good as the big boys" etc. As you've pointed out, they joined the PAC 12 (which is a pitiful conference btw) can't keep from losing at least three games each year. TCU, though a better go at it than Utah, hasn't proven to be the "you see, we told y'all we were just as good as y'alls big boys".

UCF is no different and would be no different.

This is all you need to know.

Utah had two unbeaten seasons in five years.
They joined the Pac 12. They have yet to lose fewer than 3 games in a season.

TCU had five 11-win seasons in six years, including an undefeated season where they won a Rose Bowl.
They joined the Big 12. They've had three 11-win seasons in seven years, one of which they only got because they played
14 games (which they never did in that six-year run pre-Big 12). They have no unbeaten seasons, no appearances in the playoff,
and only once did they have a team anyone considered a possible playoff team.

Anyone can get up for one game a year. Hell, Auburn does that even in the bad years.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Dear UCF.

Be thankful you're ranked that high given you've done nothing, are nothing, and nobody but you cares. But that said, feel free to hold another Mickey Mouse Championship Celebration. If the label fits, wear it!

Regards,
Every other college football team

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Instead of having them play a Power 5 team that doesn't want to be there they should have the two top ranked Group of 5 teams play in a "Group of Five Championship" game. Gives group of five something to strive for that honestly would feel bigger than hoping you can upset an SEC or B1G division champ that lost their title game.
I've always thought that would be a good idea.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I've always thought that would be a good idea.
The problem with that is twofold. First, it takes the two best G5 teams out of a New Year's six bowl. Then it plainly admits they G5 doen't deserve to be in the CFP. Group of Five rejects both those ideas. Now if the G5 Playoff could raise the kind of money a NY6 bowl could then it might be a different story but that is doubtful.

But I like the idea if only to shut them up. I can see UCF or Houston vs Boise or Fresno being a pretty good draw but think if it were Temple or Buffalo vs Nevada or ULM.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I didn’t capture it, but the US NAVY had a great sign aboard the USS CARL VINSON.

Ur Chamionshps’s Fake

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Before I even read this these schools are the ones that came to mind when thinking of UCF. Utah was the hot new kid on the block screaming for respect and "they were just as good as the big boys" etc. As you've pointed out, they joined the PAC 12 (which is a pitiful conference btw) can't keep from losing at least three games each year. TCU, though a better go at it than Utah, hasn't proven to be the "you see, we told y'all we were just as good as y'alls big boys".

UCF is no different and would be no different.
Oh and let me add W Virginia to your list because they were one of the FOUR hot tamales along with Utah, TCU and Louisville. BTW, what has Louisville and W Virginia done since moving up to P5? ACC or B12 championship? Naw, notch yet.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I have the solution. UCF should declare themselves Ahead of Two-Loss Teams in the CFP Championship. The Florida Legislature could make a Ahead of Two-Loss Teams in the polls Championship and have a statewide parade. I think Better than 2-Loss teams car tags would be a big seller.
I like their thinking. So today when I’m smoking meat for the games, I’m going to declare myself the “Memphis in May” world champion even though I didn’t compete in the competition. lol

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In 1998, Tulane went unbeaten.

Tommy Bowden coached that team (Rich Rod was an assistant btw).

Bowden later said that he had not hankered for number one in the new BCS set-up (that was the first year) because he had coached in the SEC (in fact, he was one of those rare guys who coached at BOTH Alabama AND Auburn). He said it was a great accomplishment and fun year, but it was NOT RIGHT and he would not have felt good politicking for votes because, "I coached in the SEC, and I know how hard it is to go undefeated." His point was that yes, Tulane had a great year, but they didn't even deserve consideration as national champions. He left before the bowl game to go to Clemson.

Last year, Scott Frost - who won the 97 national title at Nebraska as starting QB - coached UCF to an unbeaten season. You will notice he has sort of registered his disagreement with their national title claim.

When the coaches of the teams themselves don't even agree with it, you really need to just shut up.

I lived through BYU winning the national title in 1984, and the outrage at the time was huge. But BYU - unlike UCF - did not game the system to try and avoid opponents. They were fortuitous beneficiaries of a unique circumstance. Sort of like Virginia in 1990, who cycled to the top through unusual developments, BYU benefited. (History lesson coming).

Here's what happened (in short):
Miami knocked off #1 Auburn and moved to #1
Unranked BYU (who ended 1983 at #7) shocked #3 Pitt and jumped to 13
Michigan knocked off #1 Miami, putting Nebraska on top
Nebraska lost to Syracuse in the Carrier Dome, moving Texas to 1
Texas intentionally played for a tie against Oklahoma, moving Washington to #1
Washington lost to USC
Two Cinderella independents - BYU and S Carolina - split the "upset vote" that collapsed towards BYU when SCAR lost to Navy
One-loss Nebraska stayed ahead of BYU and then promptly lost to OU
BYU moved to the top and after the regular season EVERY team except Washington had TWO blemishes on their records (OU had a tie and a loss)
BYU beat Michigan, not a good team but a BIG NAME.......the same Michigan that beat Miami

BYU went into the bowl unbeaten and number one and came out the same. It was hard to justify knocking them down after the fact.

However.......BYU was NOT gaming the system, either. BYU played Georgia in Athens in Herschel Walker's last year IN SEPTEMBER (in the heat) and damn near beat them.

But BYU is also proof of what having to play tough games does. In 1985, their first three games were against BC, UCLA, and Washington. They DID win 2 of 3 and get some national respect. They rose to number seven in the country.

And then they lost to 0-6 UTEP on the road....a UTEP with two weeks to prepare against a team that NOW had faced an earlier grind.

And THAT is why UCF is a sick joke who deserves no credit or mention. Even in the case of BYU, once they had to play more than one tough game, they lost to an also-ran. You know....like UCF nearly lost to Memphis.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.