JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
MSU preview: Bulldogs could be Tide’s biggest regular-season test
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
November 9th, 2018 01:13 AM

Alabama head coach Nick Saban was asked about Mississippi State quarterback Nick Fitzgerald this week in a post-practice interview, and to most Alabama fans, Saban’s response was just coachspeak.

Saban talked about the matchup problems Fitzgerald offered, and pointed out his recent resurgence as a passer and not just a runner. Again, coachspeak, right?

Not really. A week after Alabama – as predicted – beat LSU soundly, the Crimson Tide probably will face its toughest test of the regular season when the Bulldogs come to town. This is a physical football team with a quarterback who at least has the potential to do big things. On top of that, Alabama is coming into this game fresh off its annual slugfest with LSU, and the physical pounding both teams usually take in that matchup explains greatly some of Alabama’s struggles with Mississippi State and LSU’s struggles with Arkansas. Those little things just matter.

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

Chechem

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2018
Deep South
Jess, you're saying what many have come to expect from this game: tough test. MSU always shows up and shows off against us, and we're usually sleep walking after playing LSU.

Good assessment, but I'm hoping for a Tua and Quinnen show. Either way, as long as we win we're good. Tua Good!!

Lovthablues

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2018
Alexandria, Al
This game could go one of two ways! If we "sleepwalk" through this game like we have in years past it will be close. If we are ready mentally and physically it could be a blowout!

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Thanks for the analysis, Jess. Good write up.

I hope Bama has no injuries in this game. Tua must be protected.

Hopefully our defense, especially linebackers, can stop the run game with Fitz.

Glad the game is in Tuscaloosa. Can the crowd bring cow bells? :)

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for the write-up. I think the 28-13 might have been the score if it were in Starkville but I believe in Tuscaloosa the Tide will rise and the receivers will have a big day. I think the Tide will win by 24+ points if Tua stays healthy. But I will take any win..... I'm going to this game so I hope to see some Tide fireworks.....

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I'll be there as well...I think we cover. Nick Fitz is good, but Mack/Dylan are going to spy him and take away most of this yards up the middle...He can't throw, not against us enough to change the game. Bama 45-17. RTR!!!
Thanks for the write-up. I think the 28-13 might have been the score if it were in Starkville but I believe in Tuscaloosa the Tide will rise and the receivers will have a big day. I think the Tide will win by 24+ points if Tua stays healthy. But I will take any win..... I'm going to this game so I hope to see some Tide fireworks.....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Jess does his homework and I'd be hesitant to question his extrapolations, but I just have trouble buying that Miss. St. is the best team we've faced to this point.

He also doesn't mention "home court" advantage. That was a huge issue in the first quarter against LSU and I think it'll help with the offense's production in this game.

But I do agree with his last point for sure: at this point it's just about winning!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Jess does his homework and I'd be hesitant to question his extrapolations, but I just have trouble buying that Miss. St. is the best team we've faced to this point.

He also doesn't mention "home court" advantage. That was a huge issue in the first quarter against LSU and I think it'll help with the offense's production in this game.

But I do agree with his last point for sure: at this point it's just about winning!
LSU beat them (at DV) pretty handily. I don’t think any comparison can be made without accounting for HFA.
Georgia/Barn last year etc I could give more examples, but MSU probably beats LSU at stark Vegas.
Bama however has no such problem. Game might be closer at StarkVegas but it won’t be close tomorrow, as long as most of the previously injured are back to speed.
I’m going with the bookies on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks so much for your write-up, Jess. I have a feeling that Bama is motivated by what happened last year in Starkville and we may do better than many expect. However, that is predicated on staying healthy. Mainly, we just need to win however close it is and not have anyone else hurt. Roll Tide!

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Jess, I posted in the LSU game preview that by the end of the game our LBs and Secondary will be better than LSU whom you listed as better than our unit. we all know what happened in that game.

regarding this game, I will say again, our LBs overall esp. with the improvement of the ILB corps is better than MSU unit.
not to trivialize your preview, but there is a reason Vegas has Bama as a 24.5 point favorite. they know the hangover from the LSU game every year, but with Tua and this offense and the way our defense has step since the Missouri game, this team is very focus esp. playing at home for the rest of November.

I see the game tight in the 1st half and then Bama takes over after halftime.

38-14.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Has State faced a QB like Tua this year? Don’t think so. I’ve got my doubts on how long that secondary will be able to hold up. Something tells me there will be significant areas Tua and the guys can exploit. I’m just hoping the LBs don’t tire because they’ll be super busy.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
If Fiztgerald passes like he has in the last two games, the will indeed be our toughest game of the season.

Thanks for the preview Jess.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Thanks Jess, I hope that last year's close call will be a big motivation to not underestimate Miss. State for our players.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
This will be my first conference game at BDS since graduation in 2005. Layering up and taking my 8 year old.

I can't see Fitz with much breathing room among Mack, Q and Moses. They'd be smart to incorporate the RBs into the passing game and try to hit us in the flats knowing we'll gameplan for the middle of the field.

I hope we can get in a position to establish the run and not lean too much on Tua, but not sure how easy that'll be against State.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Passing Offense of MSU opponents:

KSU-115
ULL-75
UK-117
Fla-97
Barn-78
LSU-103
TexA&M-31
LaTech-70

This is why I’m pumping the brakes a little on the MSU defense. Tua and the Crimson Hydra attack is far more than the cowbells have faced off against. I think the lack of depth will be where it really rears its head.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

KSU-115
ULL-75
UK-117
Fla-97
Barn-78
LSU-103
TexA&M-31
LaTech-70

This is why I’m pumping the brakes a little on the MSU defense. Tua and the Crimson Hydra attack is far more than the cowbells have faced off against. I think the lack of depth will be where it really rears its head.

Wow, that’s very telling. Mond has proven to not be the QB people originally thought. While we have faced some good QB’s, MSU hasn’t faced any.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

KSU-115
ULL-75
UK-117
Fla-97
Barn-78
LSU-103
TexA&M-31
LaTech-70

Preaching to the choir. [emoji41]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.