Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Article MSU preview: Bulldogs could be Tide’s biggest regular-season test

MSU preview: Bulldogs could be Tide’s biggest regular-season test
    by Jess Nicholas
    TideFans Editor-In-Chief
    November 9th, 2018 01:13 AM

Alabama head coach Nick Saban was asked about Mississippi State quarterback Nick Fitzgerald this week in a post-practice interview, and to most Alabama fans, Saban’s response was just coachspeak.

Saban talked about the matchup problems Fitzgerald offered, and pointed out his recent resurgence as a passer and not just a runner. Again, coachspeak, right?

Not really. A week after Alabama – as predicted – beat LSU soundly, the Crimson Tide probably will face its toughest test of the regular season when the Bulldogs come to town. This is a physical football team with a quarterback who at least has the potential to do big things. On top of that, Alabama is coming into this game fresh off its annual slugfest with LSU, and the physical pounding both teams usually take in that matchup explains greatly some of Alabama’s struggles with Mississippi State and LSU’s struggles with Arkansas. Those little things just matter.

Read More Here

Last edited by BamaNation; November 9th, 2018 at 10:26 AM.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: MSU preview: Bulldogs could be Tide’s biggest regular-season test

Thanks Jess, I also expect our closest call of the regular season. PATs could be big in this game!!!
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

"Get off my lawn." Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Thanks Jess. I’ll actually be at this game. I actually expect great things from this team as they finally get to come home. This team needs rest though. It’s now win and survive time. I believe we will be fine.

Jess, you're saying what many have come to expect from this game: tough test. MSU always shows up and shows off against us, and we're usually sleep walking after playing LSU.

Good assessment, but I'm hoping for a Tua and Quinnen show. Either way, as long as we win we're good. Tua Good!!

BamaNation Third Team Lovthablues's Avatar

This game could go one of two ways! If we "sleepwalk" through this game like we have in years past it will be close. If we are ready mentally and physically it could be a blowout!
    • Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Thanks for the analysis, Jess. Good write up.

I hope Bama has no injuries in this game. Tua must be protected.

Hopefully our defense, especially linebackers, can stop the run game with Fitz.

Glad the game is in Tuscaloosa. Can the crowd bring cow bells?

BamaNation First Team BayouBama75's Avatar

Thanks for the write-up. I think the 28-13 might have been the score if it were in Starkville but I believe in Tuscaloosa the Tide will rise and the receivers will have a big day. I think the Tide will win by 24+ points if Tua stays healthy. But I will take any win..... I'm going to this game so I hope to see some Tide fireworks.....

I'll be there as well...I think we cover. Nick Fitz is good, but Mack/Dylan are going to spy him and take away most of this yards up the middle...He can't throw, not against us enough to change the game. Bama 45-17. RTR!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouBama75 View Post
    Thanks for the write-up. I think the 28-13 might have been the score if it were in Starkville but I believe in Tuscaloosa the Tide will rise and the receivers will have a big day. I think the Tide will win by 24+ points if Tua stays healthy. But I will take any win..... I'm going to this game so I hope to see some Tide fireworks.....

BamaNation First Team OakMtn4Bama's Avatar

Hopefully, we can break receivers loose, score a couple early, and get MSU out of their comfort zone.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Jess does his homework and I'd be hesitant to question his extrapolations, but I just have trouble buying that Miss. St. is the best team we've faced to this point.

He also doesn't mention "home court" advantage. That was a huge issue in the first quarter against LSU and I think it'll help with the offense's production in this game.

But I do agree with his last point for sure: at this point it's just about winning!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Jess does his homework and I'd be hesitant to question his extrapolations, but I just have trouble buying that Miss. St. is the best team we've faced to this point.

He also doesn't mention "home court" advantage. That was a huge issue in the first quarter against LSU and I think it'll help with the offense's production in this game.

But I do agree with his last point for sure: at this point it's just about winning!
    LSU beat them (at DV) pretty handily. I don’t think any comparison can be made without accounting for HFA.
    Georgia/Barn last year etc I could give more examples, but MSU probably beats LSU at stark Vegas.
    Bama however has no such problem. Game might be closer at StarkVegas but it won’t be close tomorrow, as long as most of the previously injured are back to speed.
    I’m going with the bookies on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks so much for your write-up, Jess. I have a feeling that Bama is motivated by what happened last year in Starkville and we may do better than many expect. However, that is predicated on staying healthy. Mainly, we just need to win however close it is and not have anyone else hurt. Roll Tide!

BamaNation All-American sanjosecrimson's Avatar

Jess, I posted in the LSU game preview that by the end of the game our LBs and Secondary will be better than LSU whom you listed as better than our unit. we all know what happened in that game.

regarding this game, I will say again, our LBs overall esp. with the improvement of the ILB corps is better than MSU unit.
    not to trivialize your preview, but there is a reason Vegas has Bama as a 24.5 point favorite. they know the hangover from the LSU game every year, but with Tua and this offense and the way our defense has step since the Missouri game, this team is very focus esp. playing at home for the rest of November.

I see the game tight in the 1st half and then Bama takes over after halftime.

38-14.