Does anyone do any hiking?

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
That looks like a beautiful area. The only problem that might keep me from being able to hike a lot is the arthritis in my knee. I’m on Mobic for it, but walking up a hill or other things hurt it. The doctor said it wouldn’t make it worse, but it’ll just hurt. It didn’t bother me too much Saturday, however. But it’ll change up my routine a bit and beats going to a gym everyday like I’ve been doing.
Do a search on Caney Creek Falls. It's a shorter hike than what you just did.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
we are heading over in december so if the weather is nice we will try to check it out.
I went to it from above on another trip and couldn't find a way off the bluff line. Only seeing it from above was a bummer. A trip to Parker Falls would be more fruitful with kids in tow. Sougdahoagdie (sp?) is another one that would be a good one for kids. I took my then 9 or 10 year old there a few years back and she loved it.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
I would recommend a BASIC survival/first aid kit. Mine fits in a small pouch the size of an eyeglass case, weighs next to nothing, and contains: Swiss army knife, button compass, LED flashlight, Bic lighter, a few xtra strength aspirin, water purification tablets, vaseline impregnated cotton balls, a length of duct tape and a length of paracord, and emergency blanket.

I always try to prepare to spend the night out comfortably, even if I am going on a short day hike. You never know when a twisted knee or ankle, or heck getting off trail and getting lost could lead to disaster.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I would recommend a BASIC survival/first aid kit. Mine fits in a small pouch the size of an eyeglass case, weighs next to nothing, and contains: Swiss army knife, button compass, LED flashlight, Bic lighter, a few xtra strength aspirin, water purification tablets, vaseline impregnated cotton balls, a length of duct tape and a length of paracord, and emergency blanket.

I always try to prepare to spend the night out comfortably, even if I am going on a short day hike. You never know when a twisted knee or ankle, or heck getting off trail and getting lost could lead to disaster.
Wait a minute. My frame of reference is all off. You must carry around the world's largest eyeglasses case. Or maybe the blanket is suitable only for a lego figurine.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

I do that too on an actual day hike. She is talking about walking in a park though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, I decided to go hiking at a place that is just a few miles from my house. I went Saturday morning. It was fun. I’ll probably keep doing it when I have time. Luckily, I had hiking shoes already because I’d wear them at my old job during the winter since they are waterproof. I took the advice on the socks. I did take a backpack that I’ve had so I put some water and other things in there just in case. I ended up doing two miles, but it wasn’t all flat so it was good. I look forward to hiking Monte Sano on my break from school.

Lotta good hikes up here on Monte Sano...

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I use my trekking poles for leverage on both inclines and descents and it helps my knee pain significantly, plus gives you some upper body work. I echo Dayhiker, the Bankhead/Sipsey area is full of stunning scenery.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
So what does one do when their hiking boots slip on rocks? Get new boots? Lol. I slipped twice today while hiking with my nephews, and my back is really sore from the falls. It was wet and slippery, so I don’t know if any pair would have been better.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.