Does anyone do any hiking?

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I’m thinking starting to hike a little. Nothing like I’d be gone the whole day but you know, maybe a couple mile hikes. My question is what all do I need to take with me besides water. We have a couple nice areas around our house to do some hiking, but since it’s not something I’ve ever done I want to be prepared.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I’m thinking starting to hike a little. Nothing like I’d be gone the whole day but you know, maybe a couple mile hikes. My question is what all do I need to take with me besides water. We have a couple nice areas around our house to do some hiking, but since it’s not something I’ve ever done I want to be prepared.
We have a 2.5 mile greenway 1/4 mi. from my door so round trip is 5 mi. The course is practically flat and paved so there is no need of a walking stick. I try to keep a good pair of walking shoes and wear coveralls, gloves and a wool hat when it is well below freezing. I hiked with a UAH hiking group for a couple years in the foothills around Huntsville. A walking stick is a must on hilly rocky ground for safety reasons. A snack is nice to have mid-way for a five hour or so hike. I have never taken water although I see many people do. A Fitbit or alternative is great for tracking your progress!

Many years ago we hiked in and out of the Grand Canyon in one day we would have perished but for the oasis at the bottom. Never underestimate the need for water in hot weather.

Good luck. It becomes addictive.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Depending on the terrain, a staff of some sort. It would help with walking conditions and even to defend yourself. Definitely your phone or some sort of GPS. A flashlight during this time of year, everything is different in the dark. Wear something reflective, it could also come in handy. A whistle, ever seen "Titanic?" A camera, never know what you'll run across.

The bright side is that the heavier your pack the more exercise you get!

I could go on forever, but I'm a worrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
We hike a lot...mostly out west but this advice hold true anywhere. Make sure someone knows where you're going, which trail you're hiking, where you plan to start/finish and the time to expect you back. Basically file a "hike" plan with someone.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Several here in Winston and Lawerence counties in the Bankhead forest. Most trailheads are easy and well marked. One beautiful hike is "Little" Natural Bridge in Houston, AL. You can follow this up with some of the birding trails. You can knock out a few in one day.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Seconding Alexander Fan, I'd carry a standard hiking stick. Also, just in case, I'd carry a canister of Halt or a similar pepper spray for unfriendly dogs...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Agee with all comments above. You might want to spend a little extra to get a pair of comfortable and supportive walking/hiking shoes/boots. Also comfortable clothing, hat and gloves if necessary. Also at a minimum apply SPF 30 sunscreen.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I live in Carrollton, Georgia and they just completed an 18 mile greenway in and around the city . Past waterfalls, lakes and pastureland as well as industrial areas and neighborhoods. It’s all concrete paved, so it’s more walking than hiking. I started hiking in the 80’s in the mountains of Hawaii as a good place to take a young lady on an early date. I guess it all depends on where you go and the terrain. There are some excellent trails in and around Cheaha from beginner to very advanced and plenty of information available. Cheaha offers long trails with primitive camping , Bankhead National forest offers some excellent trails. LTTLE RIVER CANYON in northeast Alabama offers excellent hiking. Some very very primitive trails avalable and excellent attractions in the area like Lake Weiss and Desoto Falls. If you are adventurous, around Chattanooga and northward around Falls Creek Falls State Park . Also even further Lake Lure and Chimney Rock , NC offer excellent hiking from intermediate to advanced . Depending on where I go, type of hiking. I always carried a hiking stick, a small pack with a small first aid kit, water, small flashlight, cell phone or walkie talkie, small length of rope, fire starter , handgun if permitted in area, . and maybe a couple of energy bars. I learned first hand while hiking in Hawaii to carry rope. I slid down a small steep ravine while hiking with a friend and twisted my ankle , and couldn’t get back up. Luckily some other hikers came along and threw a rope down to me and helped pull me up . Have carried a small length of rope with me ever since. Once you start, you will love it and will want to see what’s over the next hill . Or hike that point on the other side of a small valley. That’s why I included other areas. CHEAHA is excellent for beginners. In the state park, the trails are heavily marked and some have boardwalks and outstanding views. Outside the park is more advanced.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Will a 9mm work? (Blue font)
Why blue font?

BTW -- I prefer a .40 caliber. .357 magnum is legendary, but requires a big piece to prevent godamighty recoil. To me, .40 cal is the best balance of stopping power, absorption of recoil, and portability / concealability.

Also, the Federal Premium Hydra-Shok is a great load, mainly because it doesn't require a perfect shot. Hit the bad guy better than a graze, anywhere from knee to neck, and he won't likely bother you anymore.

No blue font whatsoever.

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Why blue font?

BTW -- I prefer a .40 caliber. .357 magnum is legendary, but requires a big piece to prevent godamighty recoil. To me, .40 cal is the best balance of stopping power, absorption of recoil, and portability / concealability.

Also, the Federal Premium Hydra-Shok is a great load, mainly because it doesn't require a perfect shot. Hit the bad guy better than a graze, anywhere from knee to neck, and he won't likely bother you anymore.

No blue font whatsoever.
I was just joking at the pesky human part, but I really considered taking my handgun with me. I’ll have my backpack so I’ll probably stick it in there if allowed in the park I’m going to. I have a 9mm, a .38 special and a 380 pistol. The 9mm has the most kick out of those but it holds more rounds obviously.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Why blue font?

No blue font whatsoever.
Love my mp40 shield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I understand.

Purely personal preference, I'm partial to my Glock models 22 and 27.

Old school, but incredibly reliable.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was just joking at the pesky human part, but I really considered taking my handgun with me. I’ll have my backpack so I’ll probably stick it in there if allowed in the park I’m going to. I have a 9mm, a .38 special and a 380 pistol. The 9mm has the most kick out of those but it holds more rounds obviously.
Take the 9mm. Recoil is the smallest part of the picture...

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Based on how you're talking about starting out, I wouldn't buy anything other than non-cotton socks. If you like it, then you can start accumulating gear. I took 2 12 year olds on about an 8 mile hike at Cheaha on Saturday. They just wore their normal clothing. I had the pack with first aid and the like, but they were perfectly fine with regular stuff. If you do get to where you start venturing onto trails in the woods, as opposed to a greenway, read up on the 10 essentials.

I second the advice about itinerary. I usually leave my wife a route along with emergency phone numbers. I tell her when I expect to be back and what time to consider getting worried. I usually leave a copy of my planned route in my car too. This is especially true if it's a backpacking trip. If something bad has happened and SAR is looking for me, it's nice for them to be able to break my window and get my map.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Well, I decided to go hiking at a place that is just a few miles from my house. I went Saturday morning. It was fun. I’ll probably keep doing it when I have time. Luckily, I had hiking shoes already because I’d wear them at my old job during the winter since they are waterproof. I took the advice on the socks. I did take a backpack that I’ve had so I put some water and other things in there just in case. I ended up doing two miles, but it wasn’t all flat so it was good. I look forward to hiking Monte Sano on my break from school.

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
That looks like a beautiful area. The only problem that might keep me from being able to hike a lot is the arthritis in my knee. I’m on Mobic for it, but walking up a hill or other things hurt it. The doctor said it wouldn’t make it worse, but it’ll just hurt. It didn’t bother me too much Saturday, however. But it’ll change up my routine a bit and beats going to a gym everyday like I’ve been doing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.