Southern California fires

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I think the state and national park foresters should have more freedom in determining whether to burn off excess brush in an effort to help control some of these big fires. However, I legitimately think there are no easy options to help control these fires.

The biggest reason is weather patterns. Compared to the South, it is incredibly dry out west, and connected to this is the limited "rain season" California gets. Generally speaking, most of California's rain comes from November-March, and it tends to not rain from March-November. There are certainly exceptions at times, but California definitely does not get rain year-round. When it is El Nino season, there will be much more rain during the normal rain season, and it's opposite during La Nina season - below average rain amounts.

Many of these wildfires start in areas that has no roads to it, not even dirt roads. So, in order to get men on the ground to fight them, they have to almost allow the fires to grow. They also will parachute firefighters in, but many of them are not experienced parachuters, and that depends on the conditions on the ground as well. The state will drop other liquids from the cargo planes, but when these fires have larger real estate than the entire city of Tuscaloosa, there isn't much you can do until the weather conditions change to help fight the fires. These wildfires can start without a match or a cigarette; these fires can start with high winds and hot temperatures. I'm pretty sure these winds were the Santa Ana winds - they pull the hot air from the deserts at this time of the year, which contributes to the wildfires.

When it comes to using your sprinkler systems, there are local and state laws that ban watering of your personal property on certain days. Due to the recent droughts, those laws have expanded. It's the state's way of addressing its severe water crisis, a battle between cities whose populations have ballooned in the last 40-50 years, and the farmers who are expected to keep up with its yields for feeding the entire country and major parts of the world.

Like I said, I'm not sure there's an easy solution that'll satisfy everyone' The President's comments were incredibly inappropriate for the public, but we all know he doesn't care. Criticizing a bureaucratic policy on an issue publicly when people are losing all of their material possessions and their lives through a natural disaster is not ever appropriate. It may only be appropriate in private discussions with the affected public government entities after the disaster is over, and there is a review of what the government can do better to either better serve the affected people, or prevent the disaster from occurring altogether.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
https://www.chicoer.com/2018/11/17/shop-burns-guitar-makers-survive/

Longtime guitar builder Charvel survives Camp Fire in Paradise

He’s built guitars for notable musicians such as Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, Warren DeMartini of Ratt and even Eddie Van Halen. Eddie Van Halen even paid a visit to their Paradise home years ago and bought 10 guitars from Wayne Charvel. A framed copy of the check signed by Eddie Van Halen was among the items burned in the shop.
“All the fixtures and jigs I spent making and designing are all gone,” Wayne Charvel said.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Obviously, not everyone is in a position to do what these guys did. Nor should anyone take unnecessary risks...especially if they are responsible for other family members, including the 4 legged variety.

I do find this interesting and applaud these fellas for being proactive.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Obviously, not everyone is in a position to do what these guys did. Nor should anyone take unnecessary risks...especially if they are responsible for other family members, including the 4 legged variety.

I do find this interesting and applaud these fellas for being proactive.

Very interesting. Something similar happened in the Smokies too. A man turned on the sprinklers and it saved a Gatlinburg condo complex.

https://www.wate.com/news/local-new...omplex-from-fires_20170818082138111/792914095

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
90 years old and a heart of gold.....inspiring!

Businessman Gives $1,000 Checks To Every Student At Paradise High School

A San Diego businessman wanted to do something to help young people affected by the Camp Fire, which decimated the city of Paradise, Calif., earlier this month.

So Bob Wilson came with two suitcases full of $1,000 checks – enough for each of Paradise High School's 980 students and 105 staff members, including teachers, janitors and bus drivers.

On a rainy Tuesday night, the students and staff from a town now dispersed showed up at nearby Chico High School, where Wilson handed out the checks — $1.1 million in all, according to The Associated Press.

Wilson, 90, made his money in commercial real estate and shopping centers, and he's also a partner in operating six Fish Market restaurants in California.
He remembers high school as a formative, positive time. "High school had a great impact on my life," he told the AP. "In fact, I would say it was the first, last and only truly carefree time."

Wilson told NBC News that he explored other ways of distributing money to students, like gift cards, but ultimately just decided to give students the money directly, so they can spend it how they choose.

"I made the decision within two or three minutes of reading the news, that I would like to give these kids something," he told NBC. "So they could have some good times and I could put a smile on their faces and maybe lift their spirits."

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Watching the weather channel yesterday evening and now they have to worry about flooding and mudslides due to the vegetation being destroyed. They were installing concrete barriers to try and divert the flood/sludge from certain areas. Good Lord!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.