LSU/MSU Defenses Compared to Barn/Dawgs and Beyond

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
They (singing Harbaughs) still need to beat y'all Big!
First, why? What fans say does not impact the game. It is better to believe than worry.

Second, Alabama has 36 sacks so far this year - same as Clemson. Care to guess which defense has faced tougher offensive lines? Yes, Clemson gets after the QB, but Tua and Jalen will both be 100% for that game, and you beat that same front 4 with Jalen at QB last year.

The only team that worries me is Michigan. That defense is good from front to back, sideline to sideline. More importantly - they are playing with an attitude. IMO, that is one defense that will hurt your QB to win the game.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
And the quick wideout screens too! I noticed we didn't take the easier stuff too.

Many have commented this was Locks worse game as a play caller.

It would have been different if we kept pushing the envelope to test Tua IF HE WASN'T GETTING HIT, but at some point you've got to adjust and take what they are giving you.

After Brown went out and our run game suffered, we should have just nickle and dimed them to death with short, quick passes but it seems we never adjusted.
That has been my thinking. Obviously there is plenty of films on MSU tendencies to pressure on passing downs that would enable a game plan that would get the ball out more quickly or add blockers. Six men are not going to block seven with any consistency so adjustments have to be made.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Not sure if you can't run it or you don't run it? You're 100% correct though, you'll need that part of your game! GL B1G!!!
We can't run the ball, and I just don't see us beating UM by throwing it 50 times. Haskins might not finish the game.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Our biggest advantage will come once we get past the barn and UGA...

NO MORE SEC REFS!

The constant holding on our WRs will have a chance at getting flagged. Every other conference, especially Big12 and PAC refs, call that penalty pretty regularly. They are use to more high flying offenses and tend to favor them.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
First, why? What fans say does not impact the game. It is better to believe than worry.

Second, Alabama has 36 sacks so far this year - same as Clemson. Care to guess which defense has faced tougher offensive lines? Yes, Clemson gets after the QB, but Tua and Jalen will both be 100% for that game, and you beat that same front 4 with Jalen at QB last year.

The only team that worries me is Michigan. That defense is good from front to back, sideline to sideline. More importantly - they are playing with an attitude. IMO, that is one defense that will hurt your QB to win the game.
Clemson has 4-5 guys on their DL that will be drafted in the first three rounds of the NFL draft. Sound familiar? Michigan doesn't have that by a long shot. Point blank, I don't trust teams from the Pac, Big12 or Big10 when it comes to elite athletes like I do with the SEC and ACC.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Clemson has 4-5 guys on their DL that will be drafted in the first three rounds of the NFL draft. Sound familiar? Michigan doesn't have that by a long shot. Point blank, I don't trust teams from the Pac, Big12 or Big10 when it comes to elite athletes like I do with the SEC and ACC.
Well, feel free to be afraid of them. I am not.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
OK, sounds like many believe LSU and MSU had the best defenses we'll see. I hope that's the case.

It's not fun watching Tua get so much pressure and hits, but both of these units have show others a "blueprint" of how to at least slow us down.

LSU had the back seven to slow our passing down and MSU had the DL to get pressure, but I think their DBs did a great job on our receivers too.

Now, going forward, we know the Barn and Jawga will surely try to replicate this plan, but, do they have the players to implement this plan of getting pressure to Tua and do they have the DBs to cover if they do?

Bonus question: What adjustments does Locks need to make on play calling???
I think MSU had the best defense we will see this year. Clemson's DL is probably comparable, but they also have not faced an OL or an offense remotely of our caliber yet. The ACC is historically bad. It was a joke for NC State to ever be ranked 16. I would rank AU's DL just below MSU. UGAs DL behind both. UGA has some talent spread around on defense, but they have shown weaknesses at times in both the run and pass.

Locks made no adjustments that were largely noticeable. They consistently brought more than we could block and we were still calling 5 step drop pass plays. Our last TD to Jacobs was a 3rd/4th option, but that swing pass alone could have killed them. No was picking up backs, except when we actually did call a RB Screen and MSU was disciplined enough to rotate over (plus their speed killed those screens). So, good news/bad news: we made no in game change, but we did not show any cards either.

Brown is our key to success running the ball...and I'm going to say Jacobs needs to be option 1A right now. I love Damien, but Jacobs is hitting the hole harder than anyone right now, which is the difference between 2 and 4 yards against speedier defenses.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think MSU had the best defense we will see this year. Clemson's DL is probably comparable, but they also have not faced an OL or an offense remotely of our caliber yet. The ACC is historically bad. It was a joke for NC State to ever be ranked 16. I would rank AU's DL just below MSU. UGAs DL behind both. UGA has some talent spread around on defense, but they have shown weaknesses at times in both the run and pass.

Locks made no adjustments that were largely noticeable. They consistently brought more than we could block and we were still calling 5 step drop pass plays. Our last TD to Jacobs was a 3rd/4th option, but that swing pass alone could have killed them. No was picking up backs, except when we actually did call a RB Screen and MSU was disciplined enough to rotate over (plus their speed killed those screens). So, good news/bad news: we made no in game change, but we did not show any cards either.

Brown is our key to success running the ball...and I'm going to say Jacobs needs to be option 1A right now. I love Damien, but Jacobs is hitting the hole harder than anyone right now, which is the difference between 2 and 4 yards against speedier defenses

Yup. I was watching 3rd quarter and 4th quarter. I was trying to figure out why Locksley didn't make adjustments or at least let Tua audible out of the play... Then I realized something: 1. They probably figured that as long we're up, we didn't need to show our cards since we were playing Auburn after Citadel. I was reading an article about Saban in the other thread... and let me copy this:

"When he was on the football field ... he was focused," Pulice said. "He didn't miss a thing. Nothing."
Tom Ramsey can still recall Saban noticing how an opposing defense was cheating to stop the inside run. So Saban ran it up the middle once. "Pow!" Ramsey said, mimicking a stop for no gain. Then they ran it up the gut again. "Pow!" Ramsey said, again mimicking no gain. Then Saban initiated yet another inside handoff. "Pow!" Ramsey said, only grinning this time because the defense had tackled the wrong ball carrier. By the time they realized it was an end-around, Hulderman was trotting into the end zone.
I'm willing to bet this might be what he wanted Auburn to do... bait them into doing that.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I love it when defenses make plays on us, and yet we still win pretty big. It just shows that even the better teams cannot stop us, slow us and mess with us yes, beat us..... NO. It must drive those teams crazy to get pressure, and sacks and still lose by large margins. Nothing more frustrating than to make plays and still lose, not by a few points but by a large margin. To this day the closet a team has gotten to us is 22 points, that is 3 TD's plus 1. How bad is it when the best they got cannot get within 3 TD's of this team? That has to hurt the opponents mindset. Not until the SECCG or playoffs do I see a team really pushing us for a win. I may be wrong, I have been many times, but this team is spoiling fans.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
You're more afraid of Michigan's defense then Clemons defense?
Clemson's defense this year isn't as good as Clemson's defense last year - and we all saw how that matchup turned out.

Michigan's defense - which has been tested enough to know it isn't smoke and mirrors - is better than both of the aforementioned defenses.

However, Clemson's offense looks to be much improved with Sunshine at the helm. Enough improved to beat Bama? Probably not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Watching the game live, two things about MSUs D stood out to me. They kept their safeties deep 10-12 yards most of the time and a lot of the pressure was coming from the edge. The tackle was blocking his guy but we didn't have a man to get the edge rush. It happened over and over even when Tua wasn't sacked. I also thought the play calling was the worst of the year. Very few of the backs out of the backfield. Scored a TD finally. The back should have been open all day. I think their plan was to not give up the homerun. I don't think we were as patient as we should have been.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Our biggest advantage will come once we get past the barn and UGA...

NO MORE SEC REFS!

The constant holding on our WRs will have a chance at getting flagged. Every other conference, especially Big12 and PAC refs, call that penalty pretty regularly. They are use to more high flying offenses and tend to favor them.
I agree, but it ain't just our WR's... Our DL gets held ALOT..... and no flag.. burns me up, that they get penetration and you can obviously see the hold ( guy has arms wrapped around Buggs or Williams ) and NO flag. SMH..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yes. Clemson has a great d-line. Michigan has a great defense at all 11 positions.
I'd say they're close, but Clemson's offense has been considerably better (8.5 ppg) than UM's against a similar schedule strength (UM is 36th, Clemson is 46th).

I think Clemson is a more dangerous team than UM - I don't think Michigan gets a lot of points against an elite defense. The highest octane offense UM has faced is #30 Notre Dame, with most bing in the lower half of FBS in scoring. Clemson has beaten GT (17th in scoring offense) and Syracuse (7th in scoring offense).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'd say they're close, but Clemson's offense has been considerably better (8.5 ppg) than UM's against a similar schedule strength (UM is 36th, Clemson is 46th).

I think Clemson is a more dangerous team than UM - I don't think Michigan gets a lot of points against an elite defense. The highest octane offense UM has faced is #30 Notre Dame, with most bing in the lower half of FBS in scoring. Clemson has beaten GT (17th in scoring offense) and Syracuse (7th in scoring offense).
That's good info and there is also the "been there and done that" factor that Clemson has in experience in bigger games.

UM, while talented, will be a little star struck if they get into the CFP. Teams that have been there and played in that environment would seem to have an advantage in my opinion.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Michigan's defense - which has been tested enough to know it isn't smoke and mirrors - is better than both of the aforementioned defenses.
Not sure I follow - Clemson has played (slightly) better offenses and has allowed (slightly) fewer points than UM in the process.

Offensive rank of teams Clemson has faced (excluding FCS):
Texas A&M: 60
Georgia Southern: 64
GT: 17
Syracuse: 7
Wake Forest: 45
NC State: 47
FSU: 112
Louisville: 118
BC: 33
AVG: 59th in scoring offense

Offensive rank of teams UM has faced:
ND: 30
Western Michigan: 35
SMU: 41
Nebraska: 41
Northwestern: 103
Maryland: 70
Wisconsin: 69
Michigan State: 118
Penn State: 25
Rutgers: 130
AVG: 66th in scoring offense

I mean, I think they're probably close on the field, but Clemson has been better against better offenses.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Both Michigan and Clemson have defenses that are as good or better than Miss St. Michigan does not scare me because their offense is just average, relying a lot on the run which we should be able to stuff. Clemson could score some points on us though so we need a healthy Tua to beat them.
Like they did last year? Cough...Cough....;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.