LSU/MSU Defenses Compared to Barn/Dawgs and Beyond

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
OK, sounds like many believe LSU and MSU had the best defenses we'll see. I hope that's the case.

It's not fun watching Tua get so much pressure and hits, but both of these units have show others a "blueprint" of how to at least slow us down.

LSU had the back seven to slow our passing down and MSU had the DL to get pressure, but I think their DBs did a great job on our receivers too.

Now, going forward, we know the Barn and Jawga will surely try to replicate this plan, but, do they have the players to implement this plan of getting pressure to Tua and do they have the DBs to cover if they do?

Bonus question: What adjustments does Locks need to make on play calling???

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
Both GA and AUB have allowed more YPG (both pass and rush) than MSU. MSU is a top ten defense (#8 to be precise). It should be noted however, that there are two other top ten, solid defenses that may make it into post-season. Clemson is #5 and Michigan is #1.

I'll leave the more nuanced analysis to the professionals.

Last edited:

Chechem

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2018
Deep South
Refs allowed DBs of MSU to grab our receivers in 1st half. Should have been penalties.

Later in the game the rush disrupted Tua's throwing.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
One thing for certain, the threat of Tua running much has gone away since the Arkansas game. In passing situations, Auburn & UGA will know where Tua will be. They will try to light him up at every opportunity. Tua has to take the short dump off or get rid of the ball and the oline has to play better.

That said, I believe Auburn has the better defensive front but a highly suspect secondary. Georgia defense is the opposite. Auburn might be able to get some pressure with their front seven. Georgia will need to blitz.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Both GA and AUB have allowed more YPG (both pass and rush) than MSU. MSU is a top ten defense (#8 to be precise). It should be noted however, that there are two other top ten, solid defenses that may make it into post-season. Clemson is #5 and Michigan is #1.

Clemson has played literally no one worth of consequence; Michigan's best wins look worse and worse. I don't think their defenses are any better than MSU or LSU.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
OK, sounds like many believe LSU and MSU had the best defenses we'll see. I hope that's the case.

It's not fun watching Tua get so much pressure and hits, but both of these units have show others a "blueprint" of how to at least slow us down.

LSU had the back seven to slow our passing down and MSU had the DL to get pressure, but I think their DBs did a great job on our receivers too.

Now, going forward, we know the Barn and Jawga will surely try to replicate this plan, but, do they have the players to implement this plan of getting pressure to Tua and do they have the DBs to cover if they do?

Bonus question: What adjustments does Locks need to make on play calling???
Go up by three scores then turn it over to the defense. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
Clemson has played literally no one worth of consequence; Michigan's best wins look worse and worse. I don't think their defenses are any better than MSU or LSU.
I think that's absolutely fair in the case of Michigan. Clemson though...we actually have two common competitors (Louisville and TAMU) with which we can make somewhat of a comparison. Looking at the relative scores of our teams for those two games, I think it's fair to say they're legitimate again this year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
LSU and MSU are on another level. I still think our offense shot itself in the foot against both, but they are legit defenses. Georgia isn’t on the same level as them, and Auburn is even further behind.

We need to get healthy. I’m not sure Tua can get any healthier without lengthy rest. But it would help greatly to get all our WRs and OL back.

However, our defense is proving to be the typical Nick Saban unit. ​And our kicking game has stabilized.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Of course, Clemson's also been blowing the roof off people several weeks running, so keep in mind a chunk of what little yardage they're giving up is coming against their backups in junk time.

We'll be playing D's that will challenge us.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Of course, Clemson's also been blowing the roof off people several weeks running, so keep in mind a chunk of what little yardage they're giving up is coming against their backups in junk time.

We'll be playing D's that will challenge us.
Have you seen how bad the ACC (ie: Clemson's competition) has been?

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Every defense from now on (except , of course, Citidel) will be very good and give us problems. We HAVE to protect Tua. We've done a good job of that until today.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You know, we've played better D's the last two and the Barn and Georgia will provide a test too, but we haven't been the same on offense since Smitty got hurt. Don't believe he caught a pass today, other than one that I remember.

Did MSU play us with two safeties today? I know we didn't take many deep shots today, but if you can pressure like MSU did with its DL, you can take away alot more from Tua with the back seven.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Have you seen how bad the ACC (ie: Clemson's competition) has been?
Yeah, sure, but do you feel like MSU had been playing a lot of offensive powerhouses?

It's beyond useless to argue whether Clemson or MSU or LSU or whoever has the better defense, so not going there, but we'll play some more challenging defenses. Defenses that have the capability to shut us down for long stretches like we had happen today barring better playcalling from Locksley and co. and/or stellar individual efforts from players.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017

Michigan of late can Clemson better than Clemson ever could. I'm still guessing they'll drop another one before the playoffs. OSU is certainly capable.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Georgia’s defense isn’t in the same zip code as MSU. I think a lot of the MSU downplaying and UGA up playing is mostly due to folks looking at their records instead of watching the games and listening to scouts, former players, and coaches.

UGA has a hard time creating pressure with their line and their Dbs are very lost against decent receivers. MSU’s defense has an all star dline and some very good lbs.

Point is we should score our normal against UGA. MSU we scored about around what many experts and realists believed.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Both Michigan and Clemson have defenses that are as good or better than Miss St. Michigan does not scare me because their offense is just average, relying a lot on the run which we should be able to stuff. Clemson could score some points on us though so we need a healthy Tua to beat them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.