Can we win next week with Mac playing the WHOLE game?

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Didn't say he was faking it - it might hurt..... Just said he's likely not to put himself out at this point. He's walking fine -- according to the video I saw before the game.....he was walking across the field and didn't seem to have trouble. I realize it's not the same as football walking, running, etc. But.....

I'm a bit concerned that the quarterback that's more hurt is the one that's having to play....and the one that's not hurt as much isn't.

But perhaps "ridiculous" is a bit "ridiculous" to throw out there.....
First law of holes: when you’re in one, stop digging...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
But not his name ;)

Was actually there Sept. 21, 2004 and was talking to my cousin about the stupidity of having our best players in during a blowout saying that was when players got hurt. I distinctly remember yelling why’s Brodie in there right before he got hit...poof goes the season. Certainly don’t want a repeat performance [emoji208]RTR[emoji208]

Was saying the same thing before Prothro’s career ended right before my eyes. That was horrible!!!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Oh and to those who are trying to misunderstand my point....Jalen stayed for the right reason and I respect him for it. My point is simple, he got hurt and may not want to risk further injury by coming back too soon.

And since “too soon” is up in the air along with tweets from him and his Dad, he may be hesitant to play in pain. That is logical. Not sure why some of you can’t see that.

Which backs up my feeling that Tua may be forced to play in pain because of it. Unless Coach was lying about Jalen’s recovery time, Jalen should have been closer to being ready

But I do love how quickly some of you get personal so fast

Last edited:

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Oh and to those who are trying to misunderstand my point....Jalen stayed for the right reason and I respect him for it. My point is simple, he got hurt and may not want to risk further injury by coming back too soon.

And since “too soon” is up in the air along with tweets from him and his Dad, he may be hesitant to play in pain. That is logical. Not sure why some of you can’t see that.

Which backs up my feeling that Tua may be forced to play in pain because of it. Unless Coach was lying about Jalen’s recovery time, Jalen should have been closer to being ready

I ran into my cousin after the game yesterday and he stays in the same hotel as the team. He said Jalen was in a boot when he saw the team in the hotel lobby Saturday morning. I don't know what that means in terms of how severe his injury is, but I would assume that it means he wouldn't, nor shouldn't, be playing unless absolutely necessary.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I ran into my cousin after the game yesterday and he stays in the same hotel as the team. He said Jalen was in a boot when he saw the team in the hotel lobby Saturday morning. I don't know what that means in terms of how severe his injury is, but I would assume that it means he wouldn't, nor shouldn't, be playing unless absolutely necessary.
Any players who had foot injuries typically will wear boot when they're not practicing. In fact. Expect to see Brown in boot for a while.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I would really like to see Mac play the entire game against the Citadel. What kind of success would we have with Mac playing and starting the game and allowing Tua to rest the knee? We all know if Tua plays next week he will be limping. I realize the Citadel is not Miss St, but Auburn and Georgia will both be aiming for the knee to try to get Tua out of the game.
Yeah, we could win. BUT...
I would like to see Tua play the first series.
If Jalen is well enough, I'd like to see him play a little.
Mac should play the rest of the game. Playing with the first team should help Mac considerably.
I want Auburn to see Tua and Jalen this week to give them something to prepare for.
On the other hand...
If Mac goes all the way, Auburn would not really know how Tua and Jalen are progressing...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Figuring Saban said it was a 1-2 week recovery time. I guess Saban has a shovel too, right ?
Saban was trying to make sure that future opponents had to prepare for Jalen's game, as well.

It is possible to recover from Tightrope surgery (if that is what he had) in 2 weeks, but it generally takes 6-8 weeks. This is much better than the recovery time with fixed screws or without surgery altogether. Thing is, everyone is different, and the recovery time depends on how bad the injury was before the leg was stabilized with surgery.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Don't anybody freak out but.......

Jalen not playing again until the second half of a title game versus Clemson and then coming off the bench because Tua couldn't play the second half, winning the national title with passing, and causing a QB controversy going into 2019.......would be the most Alabama thing in the history of Alabama football.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Don't underestimate the wishbone. I remember the game against Georgia Southern and they ran 300+ yards over the Tide. I don't want Tua playing at all in that game. Of course, CNS has never listened to me before on game strategy, so it will only be a coincidence if he does now. Hope Jalen can play some and Mac is a good QB. He had a tough assignment against Miss St D with all their 5th year and 4th year Seniors. I think he will do a lot better against the Citadel D.
I think this defense will be able to handle it a lot better than that defense did...... a lot more speed now

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Saban was trying to make sure that future opponents had to prepare for Jalen's game, as well.

It is possible to recover from Tightrope surgery (if that is what he had) in 2 weeks, but it generally takes 6-8 weeks. This is much better than the recovery time with fixed screws or without surgery altogether. Thing is, everyone is different, and the recovery time depends on how bad the injury was before the leg was stabilized with surgery.
It certainly appears to be more than a "simple procedure" if indeed that is what was done in Jalen's case. If the tightrope procedure was done then it could definitely require a much longer rehabilitation period than we first thought and he would not likely be attempting to practice and play at up to this point. Difficult to know the extent of the injury and the procedure that Coach Saban spoke about.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Google Tightrope Surgery and watch the video -- this is not a simple "procedure." 8 weeks is usually the norm for recovery....I think he must have severe ligament damage in some form to have this surgery. I just got out of a boot after 6 weeks and my ankle hurts like....

As for personal, when you questioned JH's motivation and integrity, you made it sound personal. After all he has done for Bama -- including giving up a year of eligibility to stay -- I think you ought to reconsider your statement. The man has put it on the line for UA -- even when he didn't play well he was still competing.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Google Tightrope Surgery and watch the video -- this is not a simple "procedure." 8 weeks is usually the norm for recovery....I think he must have severe ligament damage in some form to have this surgery. I just got out of a boot after 6 weeks and my ankle hurts like....

As for personal, when you questioned JH's motivation and integrity, you made it sound personal. After all he has done for Bama -- including giving up a year of eligibility to stay -- I think you ought to reconsider your statement. The man has put it on the line for UA -- even when he didn't play well he was still competing.
I thought there were strict rules against insulting current players on this board.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I thought there were strict rules against insulting current players on this board.
I have no idea why Jalen would refuse to play if able. If he can play, he will play.
If Jalen was my son, I'd be a little concerned about putting him on the playing field if he was so injured it would limit his escapability and thus increase his chances of getting hurt, but that depends on a mucher deeper knowledge of his injury, his playing ability, knowledge his family and his coaches have but we lack. One of the remarkable things about Jalen throughout his time at Alabama has been his toughness, coolness under pressure and willingness to do what it takes to support the team. My faith in Jalen is complete. If he can play, he'll play if the team needs him.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've read this thread start to finish this morning...

We've got a qb who has won for Bama big time, and has accepted second string status with the class and maturity some on this board don't seem to even understand. I can't imagine implying he's dogging it at this point.

Meanwhile, we've got another extended thread suggesting the first stringer qb is playing scared.

Let's hope the team doesn't pay any attention to this kind of stuff. I used to hope the team would occasionally read Tidefans to see their fan support, now, maybe it's better if they stay away.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I've read this thread start to finish this morning...

We've got a qb who has won for Bama big time, and has accepted second string status with the class and maturity some on this board don't seem to even understand. I can't imagine implying he's dogging it at this point.

Meanwhile, we've got another extended thread suggesting the first stringer qb is playing scared.

Let's hope the team doesn't pay any attention to this kind of stuff. I used to hope the team would occasionally read Tidefans to see their fan support, now, maybe it's better if they stay away.
Absolutely agreed. +1

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Calm down everybody. All I'm saying is .... when healthy he was all in.....now that he's hurt, he may not see the value in playing before he's ready. OR - playing hurt. For timeline purposes I'm going by what Coach Saban said AFTER the surgery. 1-2 weeks. So, all of you who keep pointing out the kind of surgery it was, etc -- I was strictly going by what Coach was saying. So, if he was wrong or lying -- I do apologize for using his words as evidence.

He played his 5th game -- because he was healthy and able to. Now that he's hurt -- I just don't know if he sees it in his best interest to play again this year.... he might (hope he does) -- but he may not. That's ALL I'm trying to say. I think when all is said and done -- his career here may be over. I hope I'm wrong -- I was just throwing it out there.

Does that mean it's an insult? Some may see it as smart.....i'm not sure I don't see it that way myself. But, right now -- it is starting to look like Tua and Mac -- but I sure hope I'm wrong.

This tweet also has me thinking he may be done this year...... but again, hey, I may be reading into things!

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1059589147629891586

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1059596458058498048

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.