Can we win next week with Mac playing the WHOLE game?

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I have never liked our two week prep for the auburn game. I know Saban is trying to make the point that we take all games seriously but I believe we have pushed too hard on the game before the game.

One year, to make a point, Saban even Kept the first team in awhile to make a point . It seems we always key a key player or two hurt before auburn. We really push the team to stay focused.

Then, we play right against auburn and auburn let’s it all hang out and have fun. Last year, on the opening drive, we crossed mid- field and had a fourth down and a foot but punted. I thought that set the tone for the game.

Even Jess has mentioned something needs to change becUse the results have been iffy at best. Unless it’s a really bad auburn team, we struggle to win.

I would play the second string as much as possible and not play Tua at all. We have nothing to gain or prove this game and everything to lose. Our goal should be 100% focused on aurburn. I can tell you know auburn will have their best game of the season. Combine that with another iffy performance by Bama and who knows.

Not sure what the answer is but for the last 10 years we have really struggled against auburn.
What an incredibly ignorant post. Not sure if serious.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have never liked our two week prep for the auburn game. I know Saban is trying to make the point that we take all games seriously but I believe we have pushed too hard on the game before the game.

One year, to make a point, Saban even Kept the first team in awhile to make a point . It seems we always key a key player or two hurt before auburn. We really push the team to stay focused.

Then, we play right against auburn and auburn let’s it all hang out and have fun. Last year, on the opening drive, we crossed mid- field and had a fourth down and a foot but punted. I thought that set the tone for the game.

Even Jess has mentioned something needs to change becUse the results have been iffy at best. Unless it’s a really bad auburn team, we struggle to win.

I would play the second string as much as possible and not play Tua at all. We have nothing to gain or prove this game and everything to lose. Our goal should be 100% focused on aurburn. I can tell you know auburn will have their best game of the season. Combine that with another iffy performance by Bama and who knows.

Not sure what the answer is but for the last 10 years we have really struggled against auburn.
I get the concern of playing this kind of team the week before Auburn. Auburn is spending 2 full weeks preparing for Alabama. Alabama cannot afford to do that because you are playing a team with a very different offense, and that requires focus. The good news - that prep won't all be wasted as Auburn uses some similar principles in their offense. I don't get the concern about getting starters injured. That could happen any time. You can't play or coach worried about that.

The reality - Alabama teams this good do not lose to Auburn teams that come in to Tuscaloosa with 4 losses. It just doesn't happen. You are going to beat Auburn - soundly. Relax and enjoy the ride.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
In the last 10 years Alabama has 6 double-digit wins: 36, 28, 49, 11, 16, 18. A couple of those were against good teams ranked 15 and 16.

The 3 losses were to highly ranked teams: number 2, 4 and 6. And 2 of those required incredible good fortune for AU, the last one required a crippled Bama defense and an offense that was at the breaking point but unfortunately had not fully broken such that a remedy should be applied.

IMO, Bama has performed OK, 7-3 with 6 double digit wins, though not optimally and has encountered some bad fortune. AU has has 3 very good teams and 2 more good teams over the past 10 years.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I saw a report it was his qyuad not knee. Hopefully just a bruise, looked like helmet hit him right in the front of his thigh. Hurts but not a killer. Still Tua should sit for citadel, we can beat them with Mac, if not we need to quit football. Our run game and defense should be able to beat them pretty easy. Our Backs need some runs, they have been to quiet this year. They need to stretch those legs for AUBS and UGA and playoff.
I've taken a shot to the the upper leg like that a few times when I was younger. It REALLY hurts to begin with and then it's really sore for a few days. With our medical treatment the quad muscle should be fine before the Citadel.

You are entitled to your opinion, and some probably agree with you, but CNS doesn't, based on his Monday presser.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I get the concern of playing this kind of team the week before Auburn. Auburn is spending 2 full weeks preparing for Alabama. Alabama cannot afford to do that because you are playing a team with a very different offense, and that requires focus. The good news - that prep won't all be wasted as Auburn uses some similar principles in their offense. I don't get the concern about getting starters injured. That could happen any time. You can't play or coach worried about that.

The reality - Alabama teams this good do not lose to Auburn teams that come in to Tuscaloosa with 4 losses. It just doesn't happen. You are going to beat Auburn - soundly. Relax and enjoy the ride.
Auburn should have five losses. Texas A&M choked the game away two weeks ago when they had a commanding lead.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

For the fifty years I have been aware of the Auburn game it is difficult to to point to a time when Auburn didn't show up ready to play regardless of their season. Under Coaches Bryant, Stallings and Saban, Bama has had the most talent most years but that hasn't prevented the Barn from winning their share with Kick Six and Kam Back being only the latest in a long line.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
For the fifty years I have been aware of the Auburn game it is difficult to to point to a time when Auburn didn't show up ready to play regardless of their season. Under Coaches Bryant, Stallings and Saban, Bama has had the most talent most years but that hasn't prevented the Barn from winning their share with Kick Six and Kam Back being only the latest in a long line.
When has Bama not shown up ready to play? Both programs have had games where they did not play well, but has either ever not shown up ready to play? Last year Bama was winning with 3 min left in the 3rd qtr with a crippled D, a one-legged O at J-H against the hottest team in the nation - a team who would have almost surely would have been the first to make the CFP with 2 losses if they had won the SECC game. Bama was ready to play but did not play well late.

Some act like AU is a mediocre program - it is not. When they have momentum they can be very good, especially at home. Their team and fans become disinterested and quit when things aren't going well but they are rabid when they have momentum.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I saw a report it was his qyuad not knee. Hopefully just a bruise, looked like helmet hit him right in the front of his thigh. Hurts but not a killer.
Could be a blessing in disguise really. He should have been taking better care of his knee all along (not jumping on it, etc...) and if his quad hurts like heck, it might be a constant reminder to be careful. That and hopefully the offensive line appreciates that their most important job is protecting Tua, they can't let him take that many shots.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

This is not a good take for few reasons.

Our game plan against Auburn has been iffy at times because of Saban was known to be conservative against teams like LSU, MSU and Auburn. He believed that his defense could win the game and didnt felt the need to score over 30 points.

This is one thing I agree with you on.

However, he learned his lessons from those losses the team suffered over the years and the funny thing is... the losses he had were due to critical mistakes or the team got lucky bounces that Bama didnt get. If he had been aggressive, he would probably had more undefeated seasons.

This year is different. SABAN said that offense were probably going to win games more than defense. He was right. But the last two games or three... defense stepped up and I wonder if he is willing to risk conservative approach against Auburn... I dont think so. He wants us up as much as possible so he can rest Tua and others for Georgia game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
A "long line"? How about 12 out of 43. Alabama is 31-12 vs AU under Bryant (19-6), Stallings (5-2) and Saban (7-4 likely to shortly be 8-4, 8-3 since the run began.). 11 of the 12 losses were to the following AP ranked Auburn teams:

1958: #2
63: 9
69: 12
70: 11
72: 9
82: unranked
93: 6
95: 21
07: 25
10: 2
13: 4
17: 6

AU has had numerous good or better teams over the past 60 years, 43 of those years under CPB, CGS, CNS. Overall Bama is 36-24 since 1958. 11 (1997-2007) of those 60 years were under some of the most severe scholarship sanction affected years ever. Bama was 3-8 during those years. Bama is 33-16 otherwise.

Last edited:

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017
Listening to CNS today I think Bama will focus on our execution and assignments and try to improve in all facets of the game. By focusing on what we do rather than what the other team does is what its all about. THE PROCESS....I doubt Tua plays much or any of the second half but he has things he needs to work on to give us the best chance at winning a championship. Auburn and GA will bring pressure and Tua has to step up into the pocket and dump the ball off. We didn't do a good job of taking what MSU was giving us.....

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
We need to stop whining about how Tua should sit for this week game. Saban already said no and Tua will play. Honestly.... I'm not in favor for Tua to sit. As a coach and player, every game matters to them, while to fans, some games matter to them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
If Saban says he can play, and Tua says he's ready to go, then let her rip...............

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
A "long line"? How about 12 out of 43. Alabama is 31-12 vs AU under Bryant (19-6), Stallings (5-2) and Saban (7-4 likely to shortly be 8-4, 8-3 since the run began.). 11 of the 12 losses were to the following AP ranked Auburn teams:

1958: #2
63: 9
69: 12
70: 11
72: 9
82: unranked
93: 6
96: 21
07: 25
10: 2
13: 4
17: 6

AU has had numerous good or better teams over the past 60 years, 43 of those years under CPB, CGS, CNS. Overall Bama is 36-24 since 1958. 11 (1997-2007) of those 60 years were under some of the most severe scholarship sanction affected years ever. Bama was 3-8 during those years. Bama is 33-16 otherwise.
We agree 36-24 since 1958 while Alabama over that period has won 12 National Championships to Auburn's 1. That is why the game is called the greatest rivalry in College Football.

I didn't say Bama didn't come to play but they have played tight in games when Auburn played aggressive as a team that had nothing to lose. Both teams have won games they should not have won in some unusual circumstances. I would not be surprised to see that again this year even though we know Auburn doesn't play well on the road

The list may seem long for me because over the years it has become harder and harder to lose to them!

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I would really like to see Mac play the entire game against the Citadel. What kind of success would we have with Mac playing and starting the game and allowing Tua to rest the knee? We all know if Tua plays next week he will be limping. I realize the Citadel is not Miss St, but Auburn and Georgia will both be aiming for the knee to try to get Tua out of the game.
Mac is 3rd team QB and that would mean that that CNS has confidence in his abilities to go in. I do think that Mac can handle that job for a week. He looked a little iffy there for a short time last week. Butterflies I would guess. He was a good HS QB...so he has been there. A lot more fans at the game..but he has been there.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You mean when the nation's best defense put Auburn at their own five-yard line?

I think what set the tone was Auburn driving 95 yards for the TD. It's hard to justify the play at the Auburn 48.

What Jess has said is that Saban does NOT take the Auburn game "more seriously" than the other games - to coach's detriment. He's made the point that Saban does not place the emphasis on beating Auburn and doesn't quite seem to understand the obsession of fans in the state over the Iron Bowl.

Auburn will fold like yesterday's laundry.

Alabama is 7-3 against Auburn in the last ten years, two of the losses were at JHS.
Two of Auburn's three wins came when we had a game the week before and they didn't.

Our wins have been by 36, 5, 35, 49, 11, 16, and 18.

Three wins by five TDs or more, five by TWO TDs or more.

We were 3-7 from 98-07 and 7-3 from 08-17.

Not sure of the deal here.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
We agree 36-24 since 1958 while Alabama over that period has won 12 National Championships to Auburn's 1. That is why the game is called the greatest rivalry in College Football.

I didn't say Bama didn't come to play but they have played tight in games when Auburn played aggressive as a team that had nothing to lose. Both teams have won games they should not have won in some unusual circumstances. I would not be surprised to see that again this year even though we know Auburn doesn't play well on the road

The list may seem long for me because over the years it has become harder and harder to lose to them!
The more pertinent number is that AU is 12-31 vs the three coaches who won those NCs, the coaches you mentioned by name. That's 28% - not very good. That's domination by Alabama - what do you want?

Bama played tight at the beginning of some big games vs multiple teams under Coach Bryant and Coach Saban, they usually played well though. Bama seemed as though they could hardly breathe vs Texas at the beginning - they wanted it so badly. But they straightened out quickly enough. No one is perfect, not even Bama under the greatest of coaches. No one is going to win every time vs other good teams. Bama's record holds up well vs most. Bama is 25-7 vs top 10, 14-5 vs top 5 and 6-1 vs num 1 in the past 9+ years. It's not perfect but better than anyone else. 31-12 is domination of a top 15 program.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.