Can we win next week with Mac playing the WHOLE game?

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Yes! If CNS decided to rest Tua and Jalen could not play, we would still win big. The 3rd string QB is not put into the game to show what he can do offensively, he is in there to get reps and hand the ball off.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One more note on the Auburn thing:

We are repeatedly told, "Saban hasn't beat an Auburn team with nine wins at Alabama."

But what's never mentioned is Saban beat FOUR eight-win teams that PREVENTED THEM FROM GETTING NINE WINS!!!

In other words, you're blaming Saban for not beating a nine-win team because he KEPT them from getting that ninth win.

Not every Saban win over Auburn is a rehash of 2012.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I also think we will pound The Citadel with Mac under center & with our strong running game leading our offense..

It's hard for any QB to be game ready all of sudden, when they didn't get the starters reps in practice the week before, but, I imagine our coaching staff will have Mac ready if he's our starting QB this week..JMO..

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
One more note on the Auburn thing:

We are repeatedly told, "Saban hasn't beat an Auburn team with nine wins at Alabama."

But what's never mentioned is Saban beat FOUR eight-win teams that PREVENTED THEM FROM GETTING NINE WINS!!!

In other words, you're blaming Saban for not beating a nine-win team because he KEPT them from getting that ninth win.

Not every Saban win over Auburn is a rehash of 2012.
You're absolutely correct but that dosen't jive with the media narrative of nitpicking any little thing they can with our program.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
On the original topic of beating Citadel, we won a few NC's with a QB that was just decent. This team can run and play Defense and beat Citadel if we played a RB at QB. If we cannot handle the citadel doing that we are in a heap of trouble. Would we score 40 no, but we should be able to get 3-4 TD's just running every freaking down. Our line should be able to get us enough push on these guys to run the ball every play and win. This is The Citadel not LSU, oh by the way a FG would have beaten them and Miss St and both are better than the citadel.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
You're absolutely correct but that dosen't jive with the media narrative of nitpicking any little thing they can with our program.
It's not just the media but some Bama fans who frequently point this out. You know, "just trying to be realistic". Some Bama fans seem resentful or in some cases spooked because Saban is not 10-0 vs AU since this unprecedented run began in 2008.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
If Mac Jones had a full week of starters prep he could play and win against Citadel and Auburn both.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Mac would be a game manager at best. Lot of safe throws and he wouldn't take a shot down the field unless necessary. We would become a run first pass second team.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Mac would be a game manager at best. Lot of safe throws and he wouldn't take a shot down the field unless necessary. We would become a run first pass second team.

Nothing I've seen from AU makes me think that wouldn't be enough to get the job done. AU has got beaten by several teams this year that fit that description and neither had our defense or running game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Apparently the answer is an emphatic NO, because Saban is not going to let it happen.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Nothing I've seen from AU makes me think that wouldn't be enough to get the job done. AU has got beaten by several teams this year that fit that description and neither had our defense or running game.
I see I'm one of few that refuse to take Auburn for granted. Auburn will always be the dangerous team to Alabama no matter how they are playing.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Tua took a helmet to his thigh. That can cause a quadriceps hematoma if you are unlucky but hopefully it didn't. The pirate video is somewhat encouraging. The backward acceleration of the thigh from an anterior hit like that could make a knee sprain worse but wouldn't necessarily do that if his knee also moved backwards. Tua was wearing padding over both his quadriceps which helps mitigate the damage caused by an anterior hit. A medial or lateral thigh impact would have been worse (less protected) and a posterior impact could injure the "hamstring" tendons. Any contusion to the quadriceps would still be painful a week later but Tua may still be able to play through the pain and start against the Citadel. I dont expect Jalen to play but I expect Tua to start. We shall see.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I see I'm one of few that refuse to take Auburn for granted. Auburn will always be the dangerous team to Alabama no matter how they are playing.

I understand but AU never beats Alabama when they are mediocre. In fact, there are few real upsets in the series. I know that some will point to the 3 losses in the last 10 years as such, but those AU teams were ranked 6, 4, 2 and hot as fire when the games were played. Though Bama was and should have been the favorite, the lines had what is IMO the typical "Bama distortion". 6 of Bama's 7 wins in the last 10 years have been by double digits.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I recently saw video of Jalen Hurts doing footwork drills in practice.

Anyone who thinks he is faking it, or isn't really hurt, or any such nonsense has some major issues coming to grips with reality. He's clearly the most injured of the QBs right now and he's the one most in need of sitting.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I recently saw video of Jalen Hurts doing footwork drills in practice.

Anyone who thinks he is faking it, or isn't really hurt, or any such nonsense has some major issues coming to grips with reality. He's clearly the most injured of the QBs right now and he's the one most in need of sitting.
Yeah, he is not putting any lateral pressure on his ankle in those drills.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I understand but AU never beats Alabama when they are mediocre. In fact, there are few real upsets in the series. I know that some will point to the 3 losses in the last 10 years as such, but those AU teams were ranked 6, 4, 2 and hot as fire when the games were played. Though Bama was and should have been the favorite, the lines had what is IMO the typical "Bama distortion". 6 of Bama's 7 wins in the last 10 years have been by double digits.
Not really about win and loss. They are the team that plays us hard each year. One slipup and they can have momentum to come back in the game. That's all it takes. Look at Ole Miss-Alabama game where we had lot of bad stuff happening in that game and we lost that game... I think that was two years ago.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not really about win and loss. They are the team that plays us hard each year. One slipup and they can have momentum to come back in the game. That's all it takes. Look at Ole Miss-Alabama game where we had lot of bad stuff happening in that game and we lost that game... I think that was two years ago.
No matter how much my rational mind tells me that this game will be an easy win for Alabama this year, I still worry.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
It's not just the media but some Bama fans who frequently point this out. You know, "just trying to be realistic". Some Bama fans seem resentful or in some cases spooked because Saban is not 10-0 vs AU since this unprecedented run began in 2008.
That’s not it at all, at least from my perspective. I don’t resent anything as far as our record against anyone. As phenomenal as Saban has been though, the simple fact is that Auburn has had more success against him during this run than anyone else in the conference and he has yet to beat an Auburn team that is highly ranked or that has nine wins. Maybe that will change in the future, maybe it will not. One thing is for sure—we won’t find out this year. It is what it is.

And yes, I’ll admit it, we should be 9-2, not 7-4, against them during this past run.(we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in both 2010 and 2013. 2007 and 2017 were somewhat predictable and more understandable losses to me.)

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.