Is Tua playing scared? Is he playing emotionally hurt?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
One other point on Tua's play - until the MSU game, the pressure generally came off the edge. MSU was able to bring pressure straight up the middle. No QB can play well when the pressure comes straight into his face. Why? Because the edge rushers push up the field, and the tackles let them. They are supposed to let them. The center of the o-line is supposed to hold so the QB can step up into the pocket if/when edge pressure arrives. Tua does that as well as any QB in the game, at any level.

Against MSU, Tua had no place to go. He could not step up, and he could not scramble left or right. The center has to hold. Simply put, your offensive line got beat on play after play RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE. What Alabama fans have to hope is that you get that fixed before the playoffs. For Tua to be Tua, he needs to be able to stay in the pocket and step into his passes. You need better play from your guards against a team with dominant pass rushing DTs.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
People who seemed to know posted that it was a torn meniscus last month. That makes sense.
He's dealing with the pain and bad hits. Wish he'd learn to throw the ball away.
If that's what it is he cannot really hurt it more, but it does HURT...especially when strained or hit. I think he is frustrated...just try playing any sport at an elite level when you are only 60-70%...not a lot of fun. A larger part of his game is his ability to extend plays and the threat that brings...just cannot do that now.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Referring to Bama's game plan being 'Vanilla', I'm wondering how much of Bama's play book has actually been utilized thus far. I feel there is a good amount that has not been needed to win those games up to this point. And may not be needed until the SECCG. Hopefully, Tua AND Jalen will be well on the way to recovery...hopefully.

ROLL TIDE!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
One other point on Tua's play - until the MSU game, the pressure generally came off the edge. MSU was able to bring pressure straight up the middle. No QB can play well when the pressure comes straight into his face. Why? Because the edge rushers push up the field, and the tackles let them. They are supposed to let them. The center of the o-line is supposed to hold so the QB can step up into the pocket if/when edge pressure arrives. Tua does that as well as any QB in the game, at any level.

Against MSU, Tua had no place to go. He could not step up, and he could not scramble left or right. The center has to hold. Simply put, your offensive line got beat on play after play RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE. What Alabama fans have to hope is that you get that fixed before the playoffs. For Tua to be Tua, he needs to be able to stay in the pocket and step into his passes. You need better play from your guards against a team with dominant pass rushing DTs.
Excellent pick up, there. When that pocket got blown up, it was over.

And one thing in addition: Just another point of maturation for Tua is to recognize when this happens he's got the throw that ball away and/or protect that ball with both hands. More than once he was trying to escape the pocket with the ball in one hand. This is one of his (and all great QBs) trademarks that he's always looking to throw and he can get rid of it in a moments notice, but there comes a time when you've got to tuck it and protect it...it's part of his maturation process.

And remember guys: Tua still hasn't played a full season just yet as a starter AND not until the last couple of games has he faced adversity, which causes growth.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
If that's what it is he cannot really hurt it more, but it does HURT...especially when strained or hit. I think he is frustrated...just try playing any sport at an elite level when you are only 60-70%...not a lot of fun. A larger part of his game is his ability to extend plays and the threat that brings...just cannot do that now.
Depends on what type of tear it is. They like to repair (suture) the meniscus if possible. This preserves the integrity of the meniscus long term, but usually means they are non weight bearing for several weeks.

I believe, just from observation and 20 years in sports medicine that it is a torn meniscus that they have already decided can not be repaired and needs to be trimmed out (menisectomy). but I could certainly be wrong. These things are kind of like hang nails. The little fragment can flip up and it's like sand in a ball bearing. It causes pain and irritation. Other times it lays down and causes no irritation, and the knee feels great.

It is usually a pretty quick and easy surgical fix...two little poke holes, 2-3 week recovery. The risk you run in doing it in-season, albeit small, is if something goes wrong, staph infection, etc. This is just my 2 cents.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This happened mainly after Brown went out with turf toe...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Depends on what type of tear it is. They like to repair (suture) the meniscus if possible. This preserves the integrity of the meniscus long term, but usually means they are non weight bearing for several weeks.

I believe, just from observation and 20 years in sports medicine that it is a torn meniscus that they have already decided can not be repaired and needs to be trimmed out (menisectomy). but I could certainly be wrong. These things are kind of like hang nails. The little fragment can flip up and it's like sand in a ball bearing. It causes pain and irritation. Other times it lays down and causes no irritation, and the knee feels great.

It is usually a pretty quick and easy surgical fix...two little poke holes, 2-3 week recovery. The risk you run in doing it in-season, albeit small, is if something goes wrong, staph infection, etc. This is just my 2 cents.
That's what I was thinking...I had one repaired 5 years ago but it took 2 months and another shot to quit hurting. Of course I was 62 and not 19....

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Like any injury it depends on the severity of it. I tore my right one, they put in a couple of plastic like tacks to hold it together to heal, then they dissolve like dis-solvable stitches. Mine did not had to be removed, but over all not painful like the ACL tore I had. But like above, I am not an athlete, they strain things I never use LOL

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Good points. Tua is young and faced 2 good defenses which highlight he is human and has some things he can improve on. Combine that adversity with the painful knee and we have the outcome - a QB who is still awfully good, just no longer on the edge of perfection. He'll learn from this.
Excellent pick up, there. When that pocket got blown up, it was over.

And one thing in addition: Just another point of maturation for Tua is to recognize when this happens he's got the throw that ball away and/or protect that ball with both hands. More than once he was trying to escape the pocket with the ball in one hand. This is one of his (and all great QBs) trademarks that he's always looking to throw and he can get rid of it in a moments notice, but there comes a time when you've got to tuck it and protect it...it's part of his maturation process.

And remember guys: Tua still hasn't played a full season just yet as a starter AND not until the last couple of games has he faced adversity, which causes growth.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Re: Pressure up the middle.

B1GTide makes a great point, and I'd add that we seemed to do very little to adjust to it from a scheme standpoint. This game was begging for us to roll the pocket, but we just didn't/couldn't do it. It was completely a tale of two halves. We dominated the 1st half and really only got stopped when stopped ourselves - bad play call on 3rd & 7 on game's third drive, fumbled handoff exchange, etc. - and otherwise did what we wanted to do. But credit MSU's coaches, they made great halftime adjustments defensively and we never countered.

As for Tua, I think he's fine, just frustrated. This is the 1st game where he really just had a poor to mediocre outing - even against LSU he played pretty dang well even if the numbers weren't astronomical. He'll bounce back. If he gets a little healthier, I suspect we'll see him show out against AU and UGA.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Re: Pressure up the middle.

B1GTide makes a great point, and I'd add that we seemed to do very little to adjust to it from a scheme standpoint. This game was begging for us to roll the pocket, but we just didn't/couldn't do it. It was completely a tale of two halves. We dominated the 1st half and really only got stopped when stopped ourselves - bad play call on 3rd & 7 on game's third drive, fumbled handoff exchange, etc. - and otherwise did what we wanted to do. But credit MSU's coaches, they made great halftime adjustments defensively and we never countered.

As for Tua, I think he's fine, just frustrated. This is the 1st game where he really just had a poor to mediocre outing - even against LSU he played pretty dang well even if the numbers weren't astronomical. He'll bounce back. If he gets a little healthier, I suspect we'll see him show out against AU and UGA.
Tua had 330 yards of total offense against LSU. I also agree about the third drive of the game. We were gashing them running and that mishandled hand off to Harris killed a drive where I knew we would score a TD. Realistically, Alabama could've easily won 38-0 on Saturday but it was a sloppy performance by the offense. Hopefully the team gets refreshed some this week.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Which takes me back to my question during the threads -- Why no side to side plays? No jets, no WR Screens......we did nothing to spread them out. It looked intentional to me -- like we just were not going to try it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Which takes me back to my question during the threads -- Why no side to side plays? No jets, no WR Screens......we did nothing to spread them out. It looked intentional to me -- like we just were not going to try it.
They worked against LSU - not sure why you didn't use them to spread out MSU's defense.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think we came in a bit vanilla on offense. Staff expected to run well on them and shutdown their run (and any hope for them to beat us). Execution was really poor. Probably a sign of a mentally and physically exhausted team. Can't be as basic as we were and look good without high execution.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
They worked against LSU - not sure why you didn't use them to spread out MSU's defense.
The game plan could have been predicated on the fact that it was accepted that Sweat would be able to bring outside pressure and would consistently be blocked past the QB. I had thought that we would then see plays into the gaps vacated by the DE's. The fact that they also had so much success outnumbering the OL up the middle made it difficult to make anything work because there was no pocket at all to speak of. A wounded QB eliminates the QB draw opportunity that would generate big plays like those by TAMU against Bama. As some others have said here the only other option would be to add another blocker to avoid being outnumbered on the inside. I would like to be a fly on the wall with the coaches critique of what they do to avoid this in future games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.