Would Saban have the Falcons winning?

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
No.

Saban is not a pro head coach, his style just doesn't translate that way. Hes the greatest college coach of all time, but coaching the two are as different as apples to hand grenades, even if people think its the same exact job.

Bellicheck is the closest to saban at that level, and that has a ton to do with Tom Brady, at least on the back end of the pats dynasty run.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
After watching the falcons play this year and how bad they are struggling with great personnel I was wondering if y'all think Saban could turn them around.
Thoughts?
Coach Saban would have been a winner in his Miami tenure, but the owners and other powers that-be,did not allow Coach Saban to Draft who he wanted.
If Coach Saban had Drafted Drew Brees they would have won a lot of games.
Politics drove Coach Saban to Mal Moore. :)
That worked out great for us, Miami, not so much... ;)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
cant win without the players. they have zilch on defense. 3 starters out
I am tired of this excuse. Yes they have 3 starters out. At the trade deadline, they didn't even attempt to go look for any replacements at that position. They keep saying over and over they are fine. They are clearly not fine. The Falcons are supposed to have this defensive guy and they are terrible on defense and have been since Quinn got here. Sark has been "better" this year than last year, but at times has looked exactly like last year. Trufant is terrible and is supposed to be the best DB on the team. The radio homers here still think the Falcons have a shot at the playoffs. Here is a secret, they don't.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The newest rumor will be Saban will coach the Falcons next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I am tired of this excuse. Yes they have 3 starters out. At the trade deadline, they didn't even attempt to go look for any replacements at that position. They keep saying over and over they are fine. They are clearly not fine. The Falcons are supposed to have this defensive guy and they are terrible on defense and have been since Quinn got here. Sark has been "better" this year than last year, but at times has looked exactly like last year. Trufant is terrible and is supposed to be the best DB on the team. The radio homers here still think the Falcons have a shot at the playoffs. Here is a secret, they don't.
Its not an excuse though. Its reality. I blame the front office for not making good moves and some bad drafting over the years... but it's tough to compete when you lose 3 defensive starters at the same time..

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think Saban would do better than what they have now, but I don't think he could dominate in the pros the way he has in the college game.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Coach Saban would have been a winner in his Miami tenure, but the owners and other powers that-be,did not allow Coach Saban to Draft who he wanted.
If Coach Saban had Drafted Drew Brees they would have won a lot of games.
Politics drove Coach Saban to Mal Moore. :)
That worked out great for us, Miami, not so much... ;)
Not sure he would have over the haul because Pro players don't want to hear about it and what they have to do to maintain.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I don’t think the prima donnas in the NFL would like getting yelled at and such like we all know happens at Bama. ;)

On a serious note, his style works wonderfully in college. I don’t think he’d be a good fit in the nfl. I think that’s one reason he got out.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I don’t think the prima donnas in the NFL would like getting yelled at and such like we all know happens at Bama. ;)

On a serious note, his style works wonderfully in college. I don’t think he’d be a good fit in the nfl. I think that’s one reason he got out.
We like to think playing team ball at Bama builds character and prepares someone for dealing successfully with life. And it certainly does. But I would argue that Saban's primary motivational tool is the payday that comes with signing with the pros. After they've gone pro, the coach can tell the players what he would like for them to do, but he can't lay down the law like a college coach can.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
As far as the yelling and stuff I'm sure he can adjust with NFL players... especially having given it a brief try years ago .Bill Belichick does a good job at it and he's probably grumpier than Coach..

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
No.

Saban is not a pro head coach, his style just doesn't translate that way. Hes the greatest college coach of all time, but coaching the two are as different as apples to hand grenades, even if people think its the same exact job.

Bellicheck is the closest to saban at that level, and that has a ton to do with Tom Brady, at least on the back end of the pats dynasty run.
Saban did a very good job at Miami. He took a 4-12 team and went 9-7, garnering support for NFL Coach of the Year. The next year Miami even received support for making the Super Bowl. And his defense improved from #18 to #4 statistically but because of the QB fiasco where he was left with an injured Culpepper, Joey Harrington and Cleo Lemon as QB starters, they finished 6-10. His defense was so good that they shutout NE 10-0 with Tom Brady QBing, the last time they have been shutout, and boat-raced Chicago who finished 13-3 and went to the Super Bowl. The year after he left they finished 1-15. Thus, the years before and after his tenure Miami was 5-27 and the his 2 years he was 15-17. IMO, he did a very good job with the promise of being much better if he could get a decent QB. I know other franchises in his division were afraid of what he would do, especially NE. The reason he caught so much flack from the Miami fan base and the Miami media (part of the media's "hurt" was because of their relationship with him) was because they knew he was a very good coach and hated to see him leave. They're still upset.

He also stated after he came to Alabama that he appreciated the NFL player and had no problems coaching them. IMO, the primary reasons he returned to college ball was because he would have much more control over the organization, including personnel (not that the Brees issue was the driving force here, just an example). And though it sounds corny, I believe him when he says he enjoys the greater effect that a coach has on college kids' lives than on pros. The last reason primarily because of his father's influence. He didn't return because he was an NFL failure.

In summary, he did a very good job in the NFL. A good job that was recognized at the time. Of course 2 years is not close to being definitive.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.