I'm about tired of seeing teams go after Tua's knees

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
FWIW, the MSU player who knocked Tua out of that game has said that he was not trying to hurt Tua, and that he would never try to purposely injury another player.
That’s why he aimed his helmet at his kneecap. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
He also got into a scuffle on the field after the game because of it and said he was coming back to T-Town to settle it...I'm all for giving someone a chance to explain, but looking at the video, he launches helmet first, with NO HANDS ever being a part of the "tackle." You absolutely cannot convince me that he was trying to tackle Tua...(That's a general statement, not pointed at you B1G.)
May be a “general” statement, but if you look at the replay (I have a dozen times) you can come to no other conclusion. It’s the straight up fact.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Yeah, I read about his tweet to Tua but his words, which 'sounded' sincere, didn't really match his actions so only he really knows.

Here's one view of it
https://sports.yahoo.com/tua-tagovailoa-leaves-game-hit-right-knee-231509283.html
Yeah - just trying to bring him down my smelly butt. Anyone who fails to see the process of the guy launching is either blind, or doesn’t want to see it.
He was aiming for his knee - no other reason to lower the helmet.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
#3 is coming in in an athletic somewhat crouched position and is facing Tua head on. Then he suddenly lowers his head and launches his head and shoulder directly at Tua's right knee. Coming in at that position and facing him head on, his natural tackling position would be to go head up at Tual about shoulder pad level. Not buying this.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
#3 is coming in in an athletic somewhat crouched position and is facing Tua head on. Then he suddenly lowers his head and launches his head and shoulder directly at Tua's right knee. Coming in at that position and facing him head on, his natural tackling position would be to go head up at Tual about shoulder pad level. Not buying this.
That new angle convicts him. He had Tua lined up with his entire body available and he changed his angle of attack. He actually crouched down and launched himself at Tua's knees. That is unforgivable. If I were his head coach, I would throw him off of my team.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Well, if the LSU and MSU players were intentionally aiming for Tua's knee THEY WERE INEPT.
It's not that hard to hit a knee when a QB is stationary; MSU hit his thigh, and LSU hit his nards.
I played DE, and I know you don't need a sighting scope to hit a knee.
So I doubt they were intentionally aiming at his knee; rather were trying to sack him - which hadn't happened often before LSU game.

But I admit, when I watched the games, at first I thought they were trying for his knee.
This is pretty much how I see it. It looked like the guy was trying to tackle his thighs because Lord knows if they tackle high and bump helmets they would get called for targeting. I find it hard to believe that more people don't just see those as hard football plays. Targeting and the replays they use with it are already making the game tougher to watch. I can't believe people actually want more replays and penalties. If people don't want to be hit, they shouldn't play football. We need to protect better, get rid of the ball quicker, or run different plays. It just seemed like football to me. I hope we have a good week of preparation and put Citadel away quickly.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm not too concerned with The Citadell going after Tua but the barn will absolutely go for it. They have nothing to lose and we all remember Nick Farley.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
FWIW, the MSU player who knocked Tua out of that game has said that he was not trying to hurt Tua, and that he would never try to purposely injury another player.
Nice cop out...
Most guys who try to take out an important player uses his own version of that lie.
Ever notice things like that don't happen when their team is well ahead.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I would probably say that if I just got busted on video diving at the likely Heisman winner's crotch or thigh just above the knees with my helmet.

Last edited:

Animal

Sep 7, 2018
Looks like everyone here enjoys the REWARD of having a dual threat QB but doesn't care for the RISK.

All Tua has to do is throw the ball and any hit after that will reap it's just rewards. If he is going to run around all over the field, then he should expect to be hit...and I'm sure HE does.

Bottom line: Tua has the unique position, as a QB, to minimize the chance of being hit/injured.

Some on here calling for penalties for hitting him low - we already know you will be ejected for hitting him high...so what exactly is a defensive player supposed to do to bring down a QB??? Ask nicely??

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Some on here calling for penalties for hitting him low - we already know you will be ejected for hitting him high...so what exactly is a defensive player supposed to do to bring down a QB??? Ask nicely??
You are kidding, right? How about a form tackle somewhere the thighs and neck? Huge area there to work with.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
As much we have complained about the opposing defense going after his knee.... Tua can do his part by getting the ball out of his hand quicker. He struggled to do that against MSU. I don't have the tape in front of me, but there has been few plays where I thought he should've checked down, or throw the ball away. I mentioned two weeks ago how I thought Tua is always looking for homerun plays but he doesn't take advantage of safe play time to time. Tua probably left 14 points on the field. OL also need to do better job of blocking for Tua as well. This is what it is.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Mooooo
Looks like everyone here enjoys the REWARD of having a dual threat QB but doesn't care for the RISK.

All Tua has to do is throw the ball and any hit after that will reap it's just rewards. If he is going to run around all over the field, then he should expect to be hit...and I'm sure HE does.

Bottom line: Tua has the unique position, as a QB, to minimize the chance of being hit/injured.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As much we have complained about the opposing defense going after his knee.... Tua can do his part by getting the ball out of his hand quicker. He struggled to do that against MSU. I don't have the tape in front of me, but there has been few plays where I thought he should've checked down, or throw the ball away. I mentioned two weeks ago how I thought Tua is always looking for homerun plays but he doesn't take advantage of safe play time to time. Tua probably left 14 points on the field. OL also need to do better job of blocking for Tua as well. This is what it is.
Totally agree with this, but even if Tua plays perfectly a good defense in going to get 5-10 shots at him each game. If those shots all come at his knees? Players who hit a QB low should be ejected. College football needs to catch up with the NFL here.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Totally agree with this, but even if Tua plays perfectly a good defense in going to get 5-10 shots at him each game. If those shots all come at his knees? Players who hit a QB low should be ejected. College football needs to catch up with the NFL here.
The hits to Tua's knee the last two weeks would've resulted in fines at the NFL level. It's a QB driven league and they are about revenue. Injured QB's equal bad ratings. Same thing in college football.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.