I'm about tired of seeing teams go after Tua's knees

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What’s funny is that while 90% of this board cried incompetence while watching the Big 10 refs called Washington-Auburn and LSU-Miami this year, but I said they were hell of a lot better than SEC refs in big games . And I was told I was crazy.
But yet here we are in another November complaining about SEC refs just like I said earlier in the season.

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
Look at what they did this year to reduce the high speed open field hits.... They added that you can fair catch the ball inside the 20 and you get the ball placed on the 25....1st and 10.

In HS, they added an extra 5 yards to the out of bounds kick penalty just so it would be more appealing to take the penalty that to make the kicking team re-kick.
A targeting hit on a QB at knee level will ruin his career and maybe even his future.
The MSU hit was a crown of the helmet hit (targeting) and the fact that it was at knee level shows intent if anything does. He wanted to HURT Tua..... They were losing and by golly, that QB is going to go out!

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Fairness and equability surprisingly goes out the window when it involves some sort of injury - physical or otherwise - to the top dog.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
If they hit the QB below the knee it's a penalty, but just above the knee is not. I think most would agree that we need the NFL rule disallowing hits below the waist while the QB is in the pocket.

In both cases as soon as the QB starts running the penalty is no longer applicable.
If you do that, you may as well put flags on the QB. It's football, not tiddly-winks. How many QBs have been hurt by our defense through the years? First, there is a difference between hurting another player and wanting to injure another player. I want our defense to hurt the opposing offensive players on every down- hit them hard, bruise them, hurt their feelings. However, no one should try to injure another player. All players I've ever played with or spoken to feel the same. I'm not interested in watching flag football with a replay every other play to make sure they "get it right." It is funny how many people here have always made fun of Big 12 football because it is a no defense league that is soft, but suddenly they want pass interference and roughing the QB and targeting and even new penalties created to protect TT. Big 12 football is crap to me, so if that is what is coming, I hope we at least get a few more years of real football before I am forced to spend fall Saturdays doing something else.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If you do that, you may as well put flags on the QB. It's football, not tiddly-winks.
Then I guess we should drop the facemark and horse-collar penalties and go back to leather helmets? IOW, nice straw man.

One can be concerned with and address player safety without relating the game to flag football.

Further, if you don't like the direction football has been moving, you may as well stop watching now - it's not as if we're going to move away from the focus on player safety.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Then I guess we should drop the facemark and horse-collar penalties and go back to leather helmets? IOW, nice straw man.

One can be concerned with and address player safety without relating the game to flag football.

Further, if you don't like the direction football has been moving, you may as well stop watching now - it's not as if we're going to move away from the focus on player safety.
I'm afraid that I am coming to that realization, which is why I am hoping for a few more years of real football. :biggrin:As far as the crack about no facemasks and leather helmets, there are quite a few people who have said it would probably be safer because guys wouldn't use their helmets as weapons. Maybe technology will allow for simulated football where there will be no injuries at all.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If you do that, you may as well put flags on the QB. It's football, not tiddly-winks. How many QBs have been hurt by our defense through the years? First, there is a difference between hurting another player and wanting to injure another player. I want our defense to hurt the opposing offensive players on every down- hit them hard, bruise them, hurt their feelings. However, no one should try to injure another player. All players I've ever played with or spoken to feel the same. I'm not interested in watching flag football with a replay every other play to make sure they "get it right." It is funny how many people here have always made fun of Big 12 football because it is a no defense league that is soft, but suddenly they want pass interference and roughing the QB and targeting and even new penalties created to protect TT. Big 12 football is crap to me, so if that is what is coming, I hope we at least get a few more years of real football before I am forced to spend fall Saturdays doing something else.
IF football doesn't move heavily in the direction of player protection, there's a very good chance it won't exist in any form in 20 years. At any rate, it's not going to go back to what you seem to worship, so, you're right, just stop watching now...

ACE2

Sep 4, 2016
If you watch closely at the very first offensive play of the game, Tua scrambles and once tackled you can see him kick at the MSU defensive lineman while he is pulling and alligator twisting his leg for several seconds. MSU was going after the knee from play one, I promise you the Barn and Georgia defensive coaches or assistants will let all the players know to impact the knee anyway possible. If you don't think this is the case then you are fooling yourself.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If you watch closely at the very first offensive play of the game, Tua scrambles and once tackled you can see him kick at the MSU defensive lineman while he is pulling and alligator twisting his leg for several seconds. MSU was going after the knee from play one, I promise you the Barn and Georgia defensive coaches or assistants will let all the players know to impact the knee anyway possible. If you don't think this is the case then you are fooling yourself.
You are correct. Unless the officials exercise some of their discretion to curb it, Tua will never finish out the season. The opponents will see to it...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If you watch the John Doe video VS MSU -- when you hear how he talks about the DB changing direction to go directly to the knee.....

This isn't a case of needing to change the rules..... this is old school "North Dallas Forty" stuff we've been seeing the past few weeks. Hit-men targeting a knee.... this isn't a "rule" thing. This is just horribly bad sportsmanship. This is suspension/fine territory

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Without a rule violation there cannot be a suspension.
Driving the crown of the helmet into knee is a clear violation of the targeting rule and has been a point of emphasis since 2014. Of course, that doesn't make a damn, if the officials are paralyzed into holding their goldies in their pockies, which Carville and company have accomplished...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Driving the crown of the helmet into knee is a clear violation of the targeting rule and has been a point of emphasis since 2014. Of course, that doesn't make a damn, if the officials are paralyzed into holding their goldies in their pockies, which Carville and company have accomplished...
My point is that they can drive a shoulder just above the knee and it's perfectly legal. The only way to stop these low blows is make them illegal (while the QB is in the pocket).

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
One thing I REALLY WANT to see is our OL going to Tua immediately to get those .... DLs off of him as quickly as possible. They were standing there while 97 wouldn’t let go. Get proactive fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think it was Steve Spurrier (and this was many football moons ago) who was questioned in a press conference about being accused of his players taking cheap shots or something at the QB. Spurrier said something like (and I'll have to paraphrase here) "If I was trying to take out the qb I'd get my 3rd string LB and have him do it. I wouldn't be telling my first string players to do it."

LOL! It sounds like the Ole Ball Coach has done it before or at least thought about it! LOL!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.