I'm about tired of seeing teams go after Tua's knees

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
Well, if you can't win... just see if you can hurt Tua.
How can the ref's and the replay officials NOT SAY the players going after Tua's knees is intentional?
Isn't it ILLEGAL to hit a quarterback below the waist like that?
LSwho did it and got away with it.....
Now Mr.sloppy state did it and got away with it.

I'm already tired OF EVERYONE ELSE saying Bama is getting all the calls......

I mean.... REALLY... I thought all these NEW RULES were put in place to protect players.....

If ANY quarterback goes down and appears hurt.... can't they VIDEO review it and start putting offending players on the sideline?

I KNOW officials can't see everything...BUT.... the cameras sure can!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
FWIW, the MSU player who knocked Tua out of that game has said that he was not trying to hurt Tua, and that he would never try to purposely injury another player.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
If you are really not trying to hurt someone then you wouldn’t be diving, helmet first, at someone’s knees.

This happens way to often all over college football and rarely gets a flag. NCAA “talks the talk” about player safety but doesn’t “walk the walk”. The NFL goes a little overboard protecting QBs but college doesn’t do enough. There is a good middle ground that the NCAA needs to move towards by, first, getting refs to call the rules as written. That’s 2 games in a row where Tua was illegally hit low and neither were flagged.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you are really not trying to hurt someone then you wouldn’t be diving, helmet first, at someone’s knees.
This is not necessarily true. If you are trying NOT to hurt someone then you would never launch at them. The player launched at Tua. But, in my experience, players who launch are not so much trying to injure the other player as trying to hit them VERY hard.

So, do I think that he was trying to blow up Tua's knee? No. I do not. But do I think that he was trying to blow up Tua? Yes. He was.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

This happens way to often all over college football and rarely gets a flag. NCAA “talks the talk” about player safety but doesn’t “walk the walk”. The NFL goes a little overboard protecting QBs but college doesn’t do enough. There is a good middle ground that the NCAA needs to move towards by, first, getting refs to call the rules as written. That’s 2 games in a row where Tua was illegally hit low and neither were flagged.
Devin White says hello from the locker room in the 1st half.

I think this just all goes back to a lack of consistency in officiating crews because they are not full time professionals.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I would like to think if a player deliberately injured another player in the college game, if that person makes it to the pros karma will catch up to him.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
To think players don't try to intentionally injure other players is very naive. I saw it happen all the time back in high school. Coaches know it happens, too. A lot of them encourage it or stand by idly.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
FWIW, the MSU player who knocked Tua out of that game has said that he was not trying to hurt Tua, and that he would never try to purposely injury another player.
Don't buy it. Folks have been senselessly diving low on him for weeks. I'd take the little post-game scuffle at Bryant-Denny as a sign that many of our players see it the same as me.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Football is a violent, collision sport. Anyone who has played the game knows that basic fact. But there are also unwritten rules like in baseball. There are lines you don't cross. Cheap shots to a star player (or any player for that matter) will be met with retribution.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
He also got into a scuffle on the field after the game because of it and said he was coming back to T-Town to settle it...I'm all for giving someone a chance to explain, but looking at the video, he launches helmet first, with NO HANDS ever being a part of the "tackle." You absolutely cannot convince me that he was trying to tackle Tua...(That's a general statement, not pointed at you B1G.)

Chechem

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2018
Deep South
Well, if the LSU and MSU players were intentionally aiming for Tua's knee THEY WERE INEPT.
It's not that hard to hit a knee when a QB is stationary; MSU hit his thigh, and LSU hit his nards.
I played DE, and I know you don't need a sighting scope to hit a knee.
So I doubt they were intentionally aiming at his knee; rather were trying to sack him - which hadn't happened often before LSU game.

But I admit, when I watched the games, at first I thought they were trying for his knee.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I understand a cheap shot and hate them as much as anybody.

When a team fields a qb who has a sore shoulder, the other team keeps that in mind when they tackle them. If they can hit the shoulder enough, he might be knocked out of the game.

It's a fine line between cheap shots and just playing hard nosed ball.

When a defender launches his body at the knees, lead by the helmet, that's over the line.

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
I live in Knoxville, and I had people this morning comment on MSU targeting his knee. So when your rival fans see it and comment on it, its pretty obvious.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
If he truly wasn't trying to hurt him, there's no need to be on Twitter claiming he wasn't trying to hurt him - no apology would be necessary or expected. The tape doesn't support his claims and he knows how bad it looks. That's a classic example of "I didn't do it" when everyone knows you did it.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I saw where one of our defensive guys tweeted about it, and basically said do that and just remember we have a defense that gets to QB's also. A shot over the bow, go after TUA and you may get it back from us. Not encouraging cheap shots, but if you give em, get ready to get em. The guys are not happy with Tua being cheap shots..

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Then stop watching Alabama games this year because I guarantee you every opponent we play from here on out will try.
This.

If teams think their best chance to win is to rough Tua up and make him think about his leg then that's what they're gonna do. I don't like it but as long as they aren't trying to deliberately injure him (and I don't think that's what's going on) there's not much you can do about it other than hammer the refs and hope to get calls.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.