I'm about tired of seeing teams go after Tua's knees

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I can't see twitter. But the clip in this link makes it far less clear than you are saying. It looks to me like the side of his helmet may have gotten it, but the shoulder delivered the brunt of the blow. But it is a terrible angle from which to say anything for certain.

OK, watching that maybe 50 times, and admittedly having bad eyesight, I will say maybe it was headfirst just above the knee.
Welcome to Tidefans, Emily Litella...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm getting worked up again just seeing that clip.

Thug straight up launched/targeted down low with the sole purpose of using his helmet to spear Tua's knee!!!

It two straight weeks where the 'luck' is that Tua's cleats weren't stuck in the turf or his knee would have been ripped apart/destroyed.

And yet the *insert appropriate adjectives here* Refs just stand there watching these disgusting dirty plays with the flags in their pockets.

I just can't believe it..... and guys it's not just these hits but watch some of the other tackles too where they just go for the leg period to tackle Tua and and then after the whistle has blown they are alligator rolling it (twisting) until he has to kick them off.

It's beyond Bull Manure.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I'm getting worked up again just seeing that clip.

Thug straight up launched/targeted down low with the sole purpose of using his helmet to spear Tua's knee!!!

It two straight weeks where the 'luck' is that Tua's cleats weren't stuck in the turf or his knee would have been ripped apart/destroyed.

And yet the *insert appropriate adjectives here* Refs just stand there watching these disgusting dirty plays with the flags in their pockets.

I just can't believe it..... and guys it's not just these hits but watch some of the other tackles too where they just go for the leg period to tackle Tua and and then after the whistle has blown they are alligator rolling it (twisting) until he has to kick them off.

It's beyond Bull Manure.
Play the same game as they do. If they want to play clean, play clean back but if they want to play knock out the QB then show them how the game is played.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Play the same game as they do. If they want to play clean, play clean back but if they want to play knock out the QB then show them how the game is played.
The more and more steamed I've got over this stuff this week I'm finally coming around to this line of thinking.

I'm all for our Secondary grabbing a fistful of jersey for 20 yards too until that's flagged as well.

These last 2 games have caused me some blood pressure problems.

I can't ever remember so many opposing OL holding, opposing defensive back holding, and Flagrant PF Unnecessary Roughness/Targeting of a Knee plays together in back-to-back games and ALL OF IT go on without being penalized.

It's just beyond my reasoning without going off into conspiracy theories.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I noticed Mack'***** on Fitzgerald in the second half seemed to have a little extra "motivation" to it.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Here are the rules:

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact
With the Crown of the Helmet
ARTICLE 3. No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown of his helmet.

Roughing the Passer
ARTICLE 9.
b. When an offensive player is in a passing posture with one or both feet on the ground, no defensive player rushing unabated shall hit him forcibly at the knee area or below. The defensive player also may not initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit this opponent in the knee area or below.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
To make it funny he should come out with that leg wrapped in bubble wrap, maybe the refs get the hint to watch for low blows. Sends a message and with some humor.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I know people are fired up about this but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I don't want to sink to their level. Legal or not, I just want to beat them straight up. I don't like the way they are going low but I'm not in favor of doing the same. It will not solve anything.

Just take their dirtiest shot and still bury them.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Here are the rules:

ARTICLE 3. No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown of his helmet.

Roughing the Passer
ARTICLE 9.
b. When an offensive player is in a passing posture with one or both feet on the ground, no defensive player rushing unabated shall hit him forcibly at the knee area or below. The defensive player also may not initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit this opponent in the knee area or below.
Seems like b fits the criteria. Defender purposely launched at his knees while he was trying to pass. Luckily, Tua was able to prepare for the hit. If his feet would have been firmly planted...yikes!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I know people are fired up about this but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I don't want to sink to their level. Legal or not, I just want to beat them straight up. I don't like the way they are going low but I'm not in favor of doing the same. It will not solve anything.

Just take their dirtiest shot and still bury them.
This is where I've historically been. And where I generally land, regardless.

But it's similar to how I respond to people in life - if someone attacks me verbally, I'm going to walk away. If however, they attack me physically, I will respond in kind - regardless as to whether it's considered 'right' or 'wrong'.

In this case, if a player is taking an obviously cheap shot at the QB in an attempt to injure him, I'd call the refs over,and point out he behavior, letting them know they'd better deal with it. If they did not, I'd target the opposing QB in similar fashion.

Call it right or wrong, but I'm not letting people injure someone cheaply like that. It could literally end someone's career, so at some point you confront it.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Seems like b fits the criteria. Defender purposely launched at his knees while he was trying to pass. Luckily, Tua was able to prepare for the hit. If his feet would have been firmly planted...yikes!

Both rules were in play. Neither was enforced. Booth could have called the targeting. Clearly made forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
This is where I've historically been. And where I generally land, regardless.

But it's similar to how I respond to people in life - if someone attacks me verbally, I'm going to walk away. If however, they attack me physically, I will respond in kind - regardless as to whether it's considered 'right' or 'wrong'.

In this case, if a player is taking an obviously cheap shot at the QB in an attempt to injure him, I'd call the refs over,and point out he behavior, letting them know they'd better deal with it. If they did not, I'd target the opposing QB in similar fashion.

Call it right or wrong, but I'm not letting people injure someone cheaply like that. It could literally end someone's career, so at some point you confront it.
The issue is that this action wouldn't be confronting it. The opposing QB's and receivers have nothing to do with how their defense is tackling our offense.

To try to send a message by playing "dirty" against an individual who is not responsible for the transgressions is not the route to go.

I get it - by playing their game in the same way the hope would be that the coaching staff or maybe other team leaders will tell their defense to back off- but let's be real, that isn't going to happen in college football. The ante will keep getting upped and somebody innocent - like a QB or a receiver who had nothing to do with the dirty play, is going to get hurt. If you were talking about direct retribution for the dirty players, I could maybe see it - that's why I had no issue with Irv Smith lashing out at Delpit (I think it was him, at least) after he caught the TD versus LSU. A little bit of spice directly back into the face of the perpetrator.

But I'm not in favor of trying to send a message via a 3rd party when that person could get hurt. If they see you going for their QB, they are just going to gun harder for our QB. It's fruitless and beneath our players to stoop to it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here are the rules:

Roughing the Passer
ARTICLE 9.
Thanks for reposting this. I posted it once and one other member posted the entire rule. I guess it gets forgotten every page or so. At least, people keep saying the hit was legal. It was not. It just wasn't called...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The issue is that this action wouldn't be confronting it. The opposing QB's and receivers have nothing to do with how their defense is tackling our offense.

To try to send a message by playing "dirty" against an individual who is not responsible for the transgressions is not the route to go.
It's sending a message to the opposing coach. Don't be naive enough to think he's not seeing this.

And these are teams that are playing - not individuals. If the dirty player gets ejected, it hurts his team, not just himself.

I get it, I totally get what you're saying - I'm just not passive enough to sit there and take it because decorum says it's wrong to exact revenge against a team that's allowing (or possibly even encouraging) its players to try to injure another player.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Here are the rules:

Roughing the Passer
ARTICLE 9.
Yep, seems I remember jonathan allen getting a roughing call against him a couple years ago. The ot used his momentum, held/threw him and allen wound up leg whipping the back of the qb's thighs.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
Here are the rules:

Roughing the Passer
ARTICLE 9.

Can they post this on the video screen before every game? Now, that would be a good task for some enterprising Bama fan computer whiz. Hack the system and post this on the big screen from time to time....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.