B1G West Champion 0-3 in OOC games.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not sure Northwestern has to beat TOSU to keep the Big10 out of the playoffs. If TOSU wins the conference then I think the big12, Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame are the top 4. TOSU should not have gotten absolutely whooped by Purdue.
Depends - OSU gets in ahead of WVU, but not OU.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree with Earle, the SEC needs a realignment with auburn to the East and Mizzou to the West and drop the "traditional rivalry game".

In my fantasy world I would go back to a 10 team conference, drop Vanderbilt, USCe, Mizzou and Arkansas. Play all other 9 teams every year, winner takes all.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Everyone knew the power was in the east, even that has become a little diluted. I hear people say Bama hasn’t played anybody, that’s when I show them this -

At least the B1G has a winning record against other power 5 conferences. The ACC, BIG 12 and PAC 12 are horrible

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Maybe if ND ever joins the B1G they could be put in the West to try and balance things out a bit.
Will never happen, if ND joins a conference and that's a huge IF, it would be the ACC considering all their other sports are in the ACC already and already play ACC teams in football

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Texas and Oklahoma should never have been in the same division when the BigXII had divisions.
It would have aided the conference greatly if they had done that. However, in 1995/1996, when this deal was going down, Oklahoma was mediocre to awful. Texas was pretty good, and Nebraska was a juggernaut. Oklahoma had not been elite since the mid to late 80s. So they went with geography. But what really hurt was that they did not protect any cross division games, including Nebraska vs. Oklahoma. They could have at least protected one cross division game. But since Oklahoma was awful, and Nebraska dominant, they wanted no part of that. And no other games really made sense to protect.

IMO, the Big 12 had something great when it was formed and they allowed it to self destruct. They could never all get on the same page and work together.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Will never happen, if ND joins a conference and that's a huge IF, it would be the ACC considering all their other sports are in the ACC already and already play ACC teams in football
I don't know why ND is in the ACC in other sports since ND is located nowhere near the Atlantic Coast. Then we have a team like Rutgers located near the Atlantic Coast playing in the B1G. I think geographically the two of then should switch.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't know why ND is in the ACC in other sports since ND is located nowhere near the Atlantic Coast. Then we have a team like Rutgers located near the Atlantic Coast playing in the B1G. I think geographically the two of then should switch.
Somewhere around the early 90s or so, maybe sooner, Notre Dame made the decision that it was no longer feasible to maintain its Independent status in all sports. It needed a conference to park all sports besides football. Initially, it went with the Big East because they were adding several teams like Miami, Boston College, and Pittsburgh in order to have football. But, in order to do that, Notre Dame had to make a deal and the deal was to give the Big East 3 of its football games each year. This worked out fine until the last round of expansion which decimated the Big East. So Notre Dame had to shop around again. I'd be curious just how close they came to making the decision to join a conference in all sports, because IMO, the ACC is the only league out there that would have been willing to take them on in a partial status. Of course, the ACC had more clout than the Big East did, so they got 5 Notre Dame football games each year.

Anyway, long story short, Notre Dame is where it is because they don't want to fully join a conference in football. The ACC was the only league out there that was willing to take them on in a partial status.

I still have no clue as to why Rutgers was invited to the Big Ten.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Somewhere around the early 90s or so, maybe sooner, Notre Dame made the decision that it was no longer feasible to maintain its Independent status in all sports. It needed a conference to park all sports besides football. Initially, it went with the Big East because they were adding several teams like Miami, Boston College, and Pittsburgh in order to have football. But, in order to do that, Notre Dame had to make a deal and the deal was to give the Big East 3 of its football games each year. This worked out fine until the last round of expansion which decimated the Big East. So Notre Dame had to shop around again. I'd be curious just how close they came to making the decision to join a conference in all sports, because IMO, the ACC is the only league out there that would have been willing to take them on in a partial status. Of course, the ACC had more clout than the Big East did, so they got 5 Notre Dame football games each year.

Anyway, long story short, Notre Dame is where it is because they don't want to fully join a conference in football. The ACC was the only league out there that was willing to take them on in a partial status.

I actually like their scheduling ability. They have played ACC, SEC, PAC12 and BIG10 teams this year along with a service academy. Their being independent allows them to do that and I wish Alabama could play a team from every conference every year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I actually like their scheduling ability. They have played ACC, SEC, PAC12 and BIG10 teams this year along with a service academy. Their being independent allows them to do that and I wish Alabama could play a team from every conference every year.
It is a great set up for them. They have games they are not willing to give up, namely USC, Stanford, and Navy. So only being beholden to 5 conference games allows them greater flexibility in scheduling.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
...I still have no clue as to why Rutgers was invited to the Big Ten.
The B1G had to be making a strategic bet that Rutgers would be able to attain and then maintain success in revenue sports. If they did, Rutgers’ proximity to the largest media market in the country could increase eyeballs on B1G televised games and enhance the value of their media contracts. That’s the only way I can make sense of it; the bet just has not paid off so far...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The B1G had to be making a strategic bet that Rutgers would be able to attain and then maintain success in revenue sports. If they did that, their proximity to the largest media market in the country could increase eyeballs on B1G televised games and enhance the value of their media contracts. That’s the only way I can make sense of it; the bet just has not paid off so far...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are correct, but it will never pay off. The B1G should have done a little more research. Rutgers grads, and NJ residents in general, simply do not care about college sports. Even when Rutgers was winning big under Schiano, they didn't travel well.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

They wanted that massive New York state/city market but nobody in New York for the most part cares about Rutgers or college football.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Probably the same thinking regarding Maryland: DC market. But, Maryland stinks at football and DC is a pro sports town.
Thing is - they are in the market for the Big Ten Network and it has increased the footprint by millions of automatic subscribers. It increased that network's revenue, thus the conference's revenue. So it still makes sense financially, but it will never makes sense for the sports.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
If Alabama loses to Georgia in the SEC final will one loss Georgia and Alabama both get in along with undefeated Clemson and ND?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.