B1G West Champion 0-3 in OOC games.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Duke 27, Northwestern 7. Akron 39, Northwestern 34. Notre Dame 31, Northwestern 21.

This can only be an embarrassment for the B1G West.

------------------------- or -------------------------------

What does this say about the B1G West Division?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
That whole division is a joke. What the hell were they thinking when the split these divisions?
Geography. That's how divisions are usually decided ( except for Mizzou playing in the SEC East). Unfortunately all the good teams are in the East where Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State are traditional powers. Nebraska is the only team in the West that had been considered a football power. Maybe if ND ever joins the B1G they could be put in the West to try and balance things out a bit.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree, tOSU and Michigan should have been in separate divisions. Having tOSU, UM and PSU, typically the best teams in the B1G, is really out of balance. OTOH, at one point, UF, UT and UGA were the top SEC programs and in the same division. In those days the SEC West wasn't very competitive. I guess what goes around comes around.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The Big 12 had Texas and Oklahoma in the same division and it actually helped kill them off. They claimed traditional rivalries the reason as does the B1G. If you put tradition ahead of imbalance then they are correct but I happen to think they are wrong.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If you all will remember they tried separating Ohio State and Michigan when they first split into two divisions after Nebraska joined. Remember the Leaders and Legends divisions?

There was such negativity over how the split affected rivalries and scheduling that they went with geography after Rutgers and Maryland joined.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hey B1G, how did it come about that they let the two divisions be so lopsided. Historically, Ohio State and Michigan were usually the best in the B1G, and among the best in the NCAA. I thought for sure they would have split those two up.
They did it this way to preserve long standing rivalries.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They did it this way to preserve long standing rivalries.
That was the excuse for our keeping both Vandy and UT at first and then just UT, after the expansion. Going forward, I think the SEC has to be reorganized, either into divisions which make more sense or into a round robin. Trying to arrange around rivalries no longer makes sense. In our case, MO needs to move to the west and AU needs to move to the east. Traditional rivalries needs to be dropped. As I've explained before, the AU "rivalry" is a relatively new one. When I matriculated in 1957, we'd been playing them only for nine years, since the series was discontinued in 1907. You could hardly count the last three of those, during the Whitworth regime. I'm one of those who believes that resuming the rivalry has not been good for either school nor for the state. I think it's time to return to logic in conference alignment...

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Now we just need for OSU to beat UM and then be upset by Northwestern...playoffs with no B1G team...now that would be unthinkable...or deja vu all over again???
I'm not sure Northwestern has to beat TOSU to keep the Big10 out of the playoffs. If TOSU wins the conference then I think the big12, Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame are the top 4. TOSU should not have gotten absolutely whooped by Purdue.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.