Link: Rivals got catfished with a fake recruit.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Rivals got catfished with a fake recruit.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barst...-star-prospect

High Schoolers Create Fake Recruit With Alabama Offer, Manti Teo's Recruiting Website To Rank Him A 3-Star Prospect

I’m on the record of being a big supporter of the current recruiting system. It may be a bit weird that grown men are analyzing everything about a group of high school boys, but those fellas are very good at what they do. Predicting the future is hard and the recruiting industry (247Sports, Rivals) are very good at it. No team has won a national championship in the 21st century without a roster that has more blue-chip recruits (4+ stars) than not.

There are flaws to the process, though. With thousands of kids needing to be rated, one can fall through the cracks:
    It should be noted that 247 had a profile, but they did not rank him, and since their process is automated, they get a pass. Rivals looks silly as all get out over this.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Re: Rivals got catfished with a fake recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    https://www.barstoolsports.com/barst...-star-prospect

It should be noted that 247 had a profile, but they did not rank him, and since their process is automated, they get a pass. Rivals looks silly as all get out over this.
    I thought I remembered this happening before and sure enough in the article it said it happened 2 years ago. His name was glorious, Unique Brissett II.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I thought I remembered this happening before and sure enough in the article it said it happened 2 years ago. His name was glorious, Unique Brissett II.
    I'm not sure he got the services to bite though, and a 247 reporter was the one that sniffed him out.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

BamaNation All-American Snuffy Smith's Avatar

According to SB Nation Rivals had him posted which then fed the 247 composite rankings before they figured it out.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...iting-rankings

It looks like “Carringer” claimed an offer from Syracuse back in November, judging by some of the account’s old Twitter mentions.
    And no one that covers Syracuse (insert joke about people not caring about Syracuse football here) noticed this?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

I understand Georgia’s #1 class ranking on rivals a little better now!
    to 16 and beyond........

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    I understand Georgia’s #1 class ranking on rivals a little better now!
    247 is the standard. Scout hasn’t been good since the merger with ESPN (if they ever were) and Rivals, well, this thread speaks for itself.

IMO, do away with the composite. It’s classic GIGO.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    According to SB Nation Rivals had him posted which then fed the 247 composite rankings before they figured it out.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...iting-rankings
    They’re right. This isn’t on 247. 247’s composite aggregates rankings from the other major services automatically.

This is Rivals’ screw-up, and theirs alone.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    247 is the standard. Scout hasn’t been good since the merger with ESPN (if they ever were) and Rivals, well, this thread speaks for itself.

IMO, do away with the composite. It’s classic GIGO.
    247 bought Scout last year IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation First Team

Rankings are largely based on who is recruiting the athlete. If a player gets offers from Alabama they are likely to get a higher ranking. Alabama doesn't recruit them because they are 4/5 star recruits. They are 4/5 star recruits because Alabama is offering them. It also has to do with what recruiting events they are attending. I heard of a player who was a 4 star recruit and committed early to a major school. He didn't attend one of the big recruiting showcases and without playing another snap since his ranking was last updated he was dropped to a 3 star.

Take the ratings with a grain of salt. They are manipulated by the rating services for marketing purposes. This article is a good example.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Rankings are largely based on who is recruiting the athlete. If a player gets offers from Alabama they are likely to get a higher ranking. Alabama doesn't recruit them because they are 4/5 star recruits. They are 4/5 star recruits because Alabama is offering them. It also has to do with what recruiting events they are attending. I heard of a player who was a 4 star recruit and committed early to a major school. He didn't attend one of the big recruiting showcases and without playing another snap since his ranking was last updated he was dropped to a 3 star.

Take the ratings with a grain of salt. They are manipulated by the rating services for marketing purposes. This article is a good example.
    There is such thing as a "Bama bump", but a player does not become a 3 or 4 star player because he gets an offer. He becomes a 3 or 4 star player because he is fast, strong and talented relative to his peers. Now, if you are saying that the colleges do more work than these services in evaluating talent, then I agree. But the schools don't determine their ranking - their talent determines their rating.

The one exception is the player on a small school in an obscure part of the country. Everyone misses them unless their parents do a whole lot of extra work to get them recognition - schools, recruiting services - everyone. They could have 5 star talent and go completely unranked, even with film uploaded to HUDL.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post

If you want any chance of winning a championship you better be siging a lot of 4* and 5* players. You can take it with a grain of salt at most places but the top 10 programs know they need a lot of these highly rated kids. While the services are not full proof they do let us know who we can expect to see in the play-off in most cases.
    Last edited by RTR91; February 17th, 2019 at 03:44 PM.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    If you want any chance of winning a championship you better be siging a lot of 4* and 5* players. You can take it with a grain of salt at most places but the top 10 programs know they need a lot of these highly rated kids. While the services are not full proof they do let us know who we can expect to see in the play-off in most cases.

The biggest part of that criteria is the school recruiting them. The good schools are likely recruiting better players but it's all a crap shoot. Alabama does a great job finding the best guys and evaluating talent effectively. Their top recruits are 4 and 5 star largely because Alabama had made them top targets because they are good at evaluating talent. The rating services don't rate the players before the schools look at them and then the schools target the 4 and 5 star rated players.

Last edited by RTR91; February 17th, 2019 at 03:45 PM.