12 SEC team schedule

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Why dn't we just go ahead and say, "I don't want Alabama to win championships anymore. I would rather be entertained with better games each week of the season."

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I agree....by the end of the year we have played - A&M, LSU, State, Auburn, UGA, and some combination of OU, Michigan, Clemson, ND, tOSU, UGA again, etc -- plus bowl eligible teams in UT, Mizzou, Ole Miss.....

Sorry -- that's plenty hard enough for me......and this is a "soft" schedule (SMH)

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
The next TV vendor will contract with the top 50 teams and require they only play each other. The vendor will pay each team $150m

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
There will be new bidders with deep pockets that will change the paradigm of college football. The disrupters are amazon, Netflix and google.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There will be new bidders with deep pockets that will change the paradigm of college football. The disrupters are amazon, Netflix and google.
Even so, they will follow a proven model. The single team model is proven - it is a proven failure.

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
It’s not something that I want but entertainment is changing dramatically and college football will chase the money too.

A rift might develop within the Power 5 conferences, between revenue producers and mouths to feed. Existing tensions flare out with the financial pressure. Why do Clemson and Florida State want to support Wake Forest and Syracuse? Ditto for Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State with Rutgers, and Texas with every team in the Big 12 that is not Oklahoma. Ties formed for cable footprint might not endure.

Major schools are open to new possibilities. One that would make a lot of sense is a smaller college football league among the sport’s powers.

A league would maximize revenue, producing the most audience-friendly games. The money would be smaller, but far fewer teams woudl share it. The haves could still be haves. Combining forces would give the conferences better leverage. Instead of undercutting each other, they can create content scarcity the way the NFL does.

A four-conference, 32-team league, for argument’s sake, could look like this. It could be 40. It could be fewer.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/next-round-college-football-realignment-look-like-nfl

Last edited:

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Again this isn’t what I want but I don’t want to be blindsided....

Let’s list some things we know to be true.

• The DVR and on-demand services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime have significantly eroded the number of people who watch scripted entertainment live. As this number continues to decline, sports—which most people will only watch live—become more important every year as an advertising delivery vehicle. Sports guarantee a captive audience.

• As states begin to legalize sports wagering in the wake of last week’s Supreme Court ruling, more people will watch live sports because they have action on the games.

• More people will cut the cord. Perhaps they’ll buy a skinny bundle such as Dish Network’s Sling TV or YouTube TV. If they have Sling TV, which has a basic package that costs $20 a month, they now can buy a $120 antenna that will grab broadcast signals from the air and make them available on the Sling apps on every device in a user’s home. Given the price and availability of this technology, it stands to reason that the trend will continue and far more people will have access to broadcast television than cable television—which will continue to appeal to hardcore viewers.

https://amp.si.com/college-football/2018/05/24/wwe-tv-deal-conference-media-rights-contracts

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
This would never work, let’s start by playing 9 conference games and 3 power 5 games. Conferences still need OOC games to gauge the strength of conferences year to year. Otherwise, how would we know what teams should be in the playoffs? I am not in favor of putting just four conference champs in the playoffs.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
It’s time for the SEC to think outside the box with each team playing 12 SEC games each season. The SEC has a built in monopoly of football rivalry so there’s no need to share the revenue.

When the rest of the power five adopts this strategy then the season becomes a playoff so we eliminate the need to expand the playoff system to more than four teams.

The SEC needs to demonstrate this proof of concept before the current TV contract expires. The next TV vendor ( google, amazon, netflix) will triple revenue by focusing on intra conference games of the top 50 teams
Sounds like the PAC 12. I think it is a bad idea.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.