12 SEC team schedule

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Here’s the problem. The changing dynamics will destroy college football as we know if we do nothing. My objective is to strengthen the SEC by leveraging conference rivalries to demonstrate how financially viable 12 conference games would be to a new vendor.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
10 game conference schedule.

1 P-5 game

1 "Really Need the Check" school.
^^^this^^^

Move MO to West and *u to East (accommodates DSOR)

6-2-2 format with ut and *u as Bama's permanent crossover opponents (accommodates TSIO and UA-*u)

Remaining five East opponents played twice every 5 years thusly:

1. UGA-Home, UF-Away
2. UF-Home, UK-Away
3. UK-Home, SC-Away
4. SC-Home, VU-Away
5. VU-Home, UGA-Away

Last edited:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I like it how it is, we have been in every CFP so why mess with it at all? In the end the best team wins the Title, so far 4 in CFP as is has been spot on getting the title game right.

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
I like it how it is, we have been in every CFP so why mess with it at all? In the end the best team wins the Title, so far 4 in CFP as is has been spot on getting the title game right.
I like the four team playoff also. The downfall will be expanding to 8 teams.

Declining game attendance will force schools to drop cupcakes altogether. Stadium renovation is moving toward less seats and better amenities

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I like the four team playoff also. The downfall will be expanding to 8 teams.

Declining game attendance will force schools to drop cupcakes altogether. Stadium renovation is moving toward less seats and better amenities
Personally I think the downfall will come when Netflix has the games decided by baking show challenge. Although it may not be as fun as the Amazon Prime top 25 round robin football ninja warrior format.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
It’s time for the SEC to think outside the box with each team playing 12 SEC games each season. The SEC has a built in monopoly of football rivalry so there’s no need to share the revenue.
When the rest of the power five adopts this strategy then the season becomes a playoff so we eliminate the need to expand the playoff system to more than four teams.

The SEC needs to demonstrate this proof of concept before the current TV contract expires. The next TV vendor ( google, amazon, netflix) will triple revenue by focusing on intra conference games of the top 50 teams
Won't ever happen.

The Big 12 is learning that too many conference games is not healthy. OU faces West Virginia in their last regular season game...and then plays them again the following week in their conference championship game. :biggrin:

Here's to hoping that OU loses one of those. :cool:

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
It’s time for the SEC to think outside the box with each team playing 12 SEC games each season. The SEC has a built in monopoly of football rivalry so there’s no need to share the revenue.

When the rest of the power five adopts this strategy then the season becomes a playoff so we eliminate the need to expand the playoff system to more than four teams.

The SEC needs to demonstrate this proof of concept before the current TV contract expires. The next TV vendor ( google, amazon, netflix) will triple revenue by focusing on intra conference games of the top 50 teams
So you're going to tell Florida they can't play FSU anymore, Georgia they can't play Georgia Tech anymore, & South Carolina they can't play Clemson anymore. Good luck with that (hint, it won't happen).

As others have pointed out, the proposed model is precisely part of what has rendered the Big 12 a secondary player in the national title race. The decade prior to them switching to round-robin schedule in 2011 they played for title 5 times, winning it once. In the 7 years since they made the switch, they've played for the title zero times and made the cfp only twice. Clearly this is not the only reason for the disfunctional Big 12's regression, but it's naive to think it has not been a factor.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Go back to 10 team conferences, play 9 conference games
doable, but if that ever happens then I would suspect Alabama and Florida going independent because it would be a huge drop in money with the death of the SECN

Let Mizzou and Arkansas join the Big XII.
Will never happen. Texas is too much of a cancer.

. Vanderbilt to the Sunbelt
Possible, but it would hurt the depth of competition in the SEC baseball schedule

USCe to the ACC.
Will never happen. South Carolina has more animosity vs the ACC than Mizzou and aTm have towards the BIG 12. Plus again you are killing Baseball SOS.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
We've already lost way too much when you don't have Texas vs. Texas A&M, Oklahoma vs. Nebraska, or Missouri vs. Kansas anymore, among others.

The farther away form tradition you get, when it comes to college sports, the quicker you hasten their demise. You're killing the very thing that made them so popular in the first place. Money certainly talks. But I would hope the various conference leaders and college presidents would refuse such a fracturing of the sport any further than it already is.

There is going to be a market correction, I get that. Things will have to change. But there should never be a need to blow up college football and thus the rest of the sports, for some cookie-cutter NFL style 64 team super league.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The only way to have no controversy in College football with a 4 team playoff is to have 4 Superconferences 12 game schedules + Conference championships. 10 conference games (7 and 3) and 2 OOC games. Everyone outside of the P4 is not a FBS team.

SEC:

West:
UA
AU
Arkie
LSU
aTm
OM
MSU
Mizzou

East:

UF
UGA
UT
Vandy
USCe
UK
NCST
Duke

BiG 10

East

tOSU
Mich
MSU
PSU
Rutgers
Syracuse
Pitt
Indiana

West

Wisc
Minn
Neb
Iowa
ISU
ND
NW
Illinois

ACC

Atlantic

BC
Clemson
FSU
Miami
Wake
UCF
USF
GT

Coastal

WVU
Cincy
UNC
Maryland
Virginia
VT
Louisville
Temple

West

North

Washington
WSU
Oregon
Stanford
ORGST
Colorodo
Kansas
Kansas St

South

Texas
Oklahoma
Okie lite
USC
UCLA
Arizona
ASU
Cal

Will it happen? Probably not, but very few would be able to argue SOS for conference champs since everyone most likely has to go through hell to win a conference, and doesnt have the luxury of FCS or very weak P4 teams.

But a big part of the problem that exists in scheduling is due to the Big XII (Texas) strongly being against current members facing former members. The Big XII does a lot of clapping at the SEC but I dont see Texas proactively pursuing a ATM series

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am not sure the tradition of "historical rivalries" means much any more and will be less meaningful as the younger fans replace all of us. I do think college football as we have known it since the 1950's or 60's or 70's is on the way out to be replaced by something that will not be about tradition but about the "almighty dollar". I am quite sure I will not be around to witness this.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I am not sure the tradition of "historical rivalries" means much any more and will be less meaningful as the younger fans replace all of us. I do think college football as we have known it since the 1950's or 60's or 70's is on the way out to be replaced by something that will not be about tradition but about the "almighty dollar". I am quite sure I will not be around to witness this.
The only historic rivalries Im aware of that was killed by the almighty dollar (that actually meant something) are aTm/ Texas and OU/ Nebraska. But lets be real, had Florida had an unfair advantage with airing highschool games on an exclusive network then I dont think many here would wanna stay in the SEC.

Point is there was just as much to do about competitive advantages as there was to do with financial advantages when the 4 teams left the Big XII.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The only advantage college football has over any other sport is rivalries
That is not entirely true. They have a built in fan base - students and alumni. No matter where their lives take them, they follow their school's sports programs.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
That is not entirely true. They have a built in fan base - students and alumni. No matter where their lives take them, they follow their school's sports programs.
This is the primary advantage and it is powerful. of course, rivalries are very important too.

Other thoughts:

Controversy is not necessarily bad. Also, it would not be removed with automatic qualifiers which are contemptible given the great disparity in conference strength. There will always be real flaws combined with general discontentment in any system. The current one is preferable to any other that I've heard proposed.

I've already lost much interest in regular season MLB, college basketball, NBA and NHL because of the how meaningless it is. I've also lost a good bit of interest in MLB's post season because the best team rarely wins, this season and last being refreshing exceptions. Even the NFL's reg season has lost value. The 4 team CFP has caused a little bit of diminished interest in the reg season because it is the only thing that now matters. The bowl season has been crushed. College football has it as close to perfect as it is likely to get. IMO, the SEC should not add a conf game but add one more P5 game. Thus they would have 10 and with 1 G5 and 1 FCS. But this would be a minor, though welcome, tweak.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is the primary advantage and it is powerful. of course, rivalries are very important too.

Other thoughts:

Controversy is not necessarily bad. Also, it would not be removed with automatic qualifiers which are contemptible given the great disparity in conference strength. There will always be real flaws combined with general discontentment in any system. The current one is preferable to any other that I've heard proposed.

I've already lost much interest in regular season MLB, college basketball, NBA and NHL because of the how meaningless it is. I've also lost a good bit of interest in MLB's post season because the best team rarely wins, this season and last being refreshing exceptions. Even the NFL's reg season has lost value. The 4 team CFP has caused a little bit of diminished interest in the reg season because it is the only thing that now matters. The bowl season has been crushed. College football has it as close to perfect as it is likely to get. IMO, the SEC should not add a conf game but add one more P5 game. Thus they would have 10 and with 1 G5 and 1 FCS. But this would be a minor, though welcome, tweak.
How often do the best 2 teams play in the NC in college football?

The argument that the best team wins more in college than the NFL is not as clear cut as many think. In the 4 years of the playoffs I can say only 1 time have the clear two best teams have met in the NC maybe twice if you count last year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The argument that the best team wins more in college than the NFL is not as clear cut as many think. In the 4 years of the playoffs I can say only 1 time have the clear two best teams have met in the NC maybe twice if you count last year.
Agreed, but the best 2 teams got a chance to play in that game all four of those years. That is what is unprecedented in this sport. But I agree that it has decreased the "value" of other bowl games.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I think a good case can be made that the 2 best teams have played in each of the past 3 seasons: Bama/Clemson, Clemson/Bama, Bama/UGA. In fact, a good case can be made that OSU and Bama were the two best teams in 2014, though they played in the semifinal. I do strongly believe that the likelihood of having the best team in one of the top 4 is great and that due to the nature of college football that that superiority has a high chance of resulting in 2 wins.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.