12 SEC team schedule - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: 12 SEC team schedule

Why dn't we just go ahead and say, "I don't want Alabama to win championships anymore. I would rather be entertained with better games each week of the season."

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

I agree....by the end of the year we have played - A&M, LSU, State, Auburn, UGA, and some combination of OU, Michigan, Clemson, ND, tOSU, UGA again, etc -- plus bowl eligible teams in UT, Mizzou, Ole Miss.....

Sorry -- that's plenty hard enough for me......and this is a "soft" schedule (SMH)
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

The next TV vendor will contract with the top 50 teams and require they only play each other. The vendor will pay each team $150m
    Logic gets you from A to Z while curiosity takes you everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah.Dreams View Post
    The next TV vendor will contract with the top 50 teams and require they only play each other. The vendor will pay each team $150m
    That doesn't work - just ask Texas. No way this happens again.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

Obvious troll is obvious

There will be new bidders with deep pockets that will change the paradigm of college football. The disrupters are amazon, Netflix and google.

There will be new bidders with deep pockets that will change the paradigm of college football. The disrupters are amazon, Netflix and google.
    Even so, they will follow a proven model. The single team model is proven - it is a proven failure.

12 SEC team schedule

It’s not something that I want but entertainment is changing dramatically and college football will chase the money too.

A rift might develop within the Power 5 conferences, between revenue producers and mouths to feed. Existing tensions flare out with the financial pressure. Why do Clemson and Florida State want to support Wake Forest and Syracuse? Ditto for Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State with Rutgers, and Texas with every team in the Big 12 that is not Oklahoma. Ties formed for cable footprint might not endure.

Major schools are open to new possibilities. One that would make a lot of sense is a smaller college football league among the sport’s powers.

A league would maximize revenue, producing the most audience-friendly games. The money would be smaller, but far fewer teams woudl share it. The haves could still be haves. Combining forces would give the conferences better leverage. Instead of undercutting each other, they can create content scarcity the way the NFL does.

A four-conference, 32-team league, for argument’s sake, could look like this. It could be 40. It could be fewer.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/se...-look-like-nfl
    Last edited by spock*; November 14th, 2018 at 05:02 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Bidders, paradigm, disrupters.

You know what that sounds like? The NFL. You what will kill college football? Trying to arrange itself more like the NFL.

Again this isn’t what I want but I don’t want to be blindsided....

Let’s list some things we know to be true.

• The DVR and on-demand services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime have significantly eroded the number of people who watch scripted entertainment live. As this number continues to decline, sports—which most people will only watch live—become more important every year as an advertising delivery vehicle. Sports guarantee a captive audience.

• As states begin to legalize sports wagering in the wake of last week’s Supreme Court ruling, more people will watch live sports because they have action on the games.

• More people will cut the cord. Perhaps they’ll buy a skinny bundle such as Dish Network’s Sling TV or YouTube TV. If they have Sling TV, which has a basic package that costs $20 a month, they now can buy a $120 antenna that will grab broadcast signals from the air and make them available on the Sling apps on every device in a user’s home. Given the price and availability of this technology, it stands to reason that the trend will continue and far more people will have access to broadcast television than cable television—which will continue to appeal to hardcore viewers.

https://amp.si.com/college-football/...ghts-contracts

This would never work, let’s start by playing 9 conference games and 3 power 5 games. Conferences still need OOC games to gauge the strength of conferences year to year. Otherwise, how would we know what teams should be in the playoffs? I am not in favor of putting just four conference champs in the playoffs.
    to 16 and beyond........

Well.....I like things just the way they are.....