12 SEC team schedule - Page 4
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: 12 SEC team schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Noah.Dreams View Post
    Itís time for the SEC to think outside the box with each team playing 12 SEC games each season. The SEC has a built in monopoly of football rivalry so thereís no need to share the revenue.

When the rest of the power five adopts this strategy then the season becomes a playoff so we eliminate the need to expand the playoff system to more than four teams.

The SEC needs to demonstrate this proof of concept before the current TV contract expires. The next TV vendor ( google, amazon, netflix) will triple revenue by focusing on intra conference games of the top 50 teams
    Sounds like the PAC 12. I think it is a bad idea.

12 SEC team schedule

Hereís the problem. The changing dynamics will destroy college football as we know if we do nothing. My objective is to strengthen the SEC by leveraging conference rivalries to demonstrate how financially viable 12 conference games would be to a new vendor.
    Logic gets you from A to Z while curiosity takes you everywhere else.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    10 game conference schedule.

1 P-5 game

1 "Really Need the Check" school.
    ^^^this^^^

Move MO to West and *u to East (accommodates DSOR)

6-2-2 format with ut and *u as Bama's permanent crossover opponents (accommodates TSIO and UA-*u)

Remaining five East opponents played twice every 5 years thusly:

1. UGA-Home, UF-Away
    2. UF-Home, UK-Away
    3. UK-Home, SC-Away
    4. SC-Home, VU-Away
    5. VU-Home, UGA-Away
    Last edited by ALA2262; November 15th, 2018 at 10:35 AM.

BamaNation All-American

I like it how it is, we have been in every CFP so why mess with it at all? In the end the best team wins the Title, so far 4 in CFP as is has been spot on getting the title game right.

12 SEC team schedule

Quote Originally Posted by RT27 View Post
    I like it how it is, we have been in every CFP so why mess with it at all? In the end the best team wins the Title, so far 4 in CFP as is has been spot on getting the title game right.
    I like the four team playoff also. The downfall will be expanding to 8 teams.

Declining game attendance will force schools to drop cupcakes altogether. Stadium renovation is moving toward less seats and better amenities
    Last edited by spock*; November 15th, 2018 at 12:11 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

I like the four team playoff also. The downfall will be expanding to 8 teams.

Declining game attendance will force schools to drop cupcakes altogether. Stadium renovation is moving toward less seats and better amenities
    Personally I think the downfall will come when Netflix has the games decided by baking show challenge. Although it may not be as fun as the Amazon Prime top 25 round robin football ninja warrior format.

BamaNation All-American

Itís time for the SEC to think outside the box with each team playing 12 SEC games each season. The SEC has a built in monopoly of football rivalry so thereís no need to share the revenue.
    When the rest of the power five adopts this strategy then the season becomes a playoff so we eliminate the need to expand the playoff system to more than four teams.

The SEC needs to demonstrate this proof of concept before the current TV contract expires. The next TV vendor ( google, amazon, netflix) will triple revenue by focusing on intra conference games of the top 50 teams
    Won't ever happen.

The Big 12 is learning that too many conference games is not healthy. OU faces West Virginia in their last regular season game...and then plays them again the following week in their conference championship game.

Here's to hoping that OU loses one of those.

BamaNation All-SEC

It’s time for the SEC to think outside the box with each team playing 12 SEC games each season. The SEC has a built in monopoly of football rivalry so there’s no need to share the revenue.

So you're going to tell Florida they can't play FSU anymore, Georgia they can't play Georgia Tech anymore, & South Carolina they can't play Clemson anymore. Good luck with that (hint, it won't happen).

As others have pointed out, the proposed model is precisely part of what has rendered the Big 12 a secondary player in the national title race. The decade prior to them switching to round-robin schedule in 2011 they played for title 5 times, winning it once. In the 7 years since they made the switch, they've played for the title zero times and made the cfp only twice. Clearly this is not the only reason for the disfunctional Big 12's regression, but it's naive to think it has not been a factor.
    Last edited by USCBAMA; November 15th, 2018 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    Personally I think the downfall will come when Netflix has the games decided by baking show challenge. Although it may not be as fun as the Amazon Prime top 25 round robin football ninja warrior format.
    Exactly! Now you understand my fear!

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Go back to 10 team conferences, play 9 conference games
    doable, but if that ever happens then I would suspect Alabama and Florida going independent because it would be a huge drop in money with the death of the SECN

Let Mizzou and Arkansas join the Big XII.
    Will never happen. Texas is too much of a cancer.

. Vanderbilt to the Sunbelt
    Possible, but it would hurt the depth of competition in the SEC baseball schedule

USCe to the ACC.
    Will never happen. South Carolina has more animosity vs the ACC than Mizzou and aTm have towards the BIG 12. Plus again you are killing Baseball SOS.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; November 15th, 2018 at 12:30 PM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

We've already lost way too much when you don't have Texas vs. Texas A&M, Oklahoma vs. Nebraska, or Missouri vs. Kansas anymore, among others.

The farther away form tradition you get, when it comes to college sports, the quicker you hasten their demise. You're killing the very thing that made them so popular in the first place. Money certainly talks. But I would hope the various conference leaders and college presidents would refuse such a fracturing of the sport any further than it already is.

There is going to be a market correction, I get that. Things will have to change. But there should never be a need to blow up college football and thus the rest of the sports, for some cookie-cutter NFL style 64 team super league.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

The only way to have no controversy in College football with a 4 team playoff is to have 4 Superconferences 12 game schedules + Conference championships. 10 conference games (7 and 3) and 2 OOC games. Everyone outside of the P4 is not a FBS team.

SEC:

West:
    UA
    AU
    Arkie
    LSU
    aTm
    OM
    MSU
    Mizzou

East:

UF
    UGA
    UT
    Vandy
    USCe
    UK
    NCST
    Duke

BiG 10

East

tOSU
    Mich
    MSU
    PSU
    Rutgers
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Indiana

West

Wisc
    Minn
    Neb
    Iowa
    ISU
    ND
    NW
    Illinois

ACC

Atlantic

BC
    Clemson
    FSU
    Miami
    Wake
    UCF
    USF
    GT

Coastal

WVU
    Cincy
    UNC
    Maryland
    Virginia
    VT
    Louisville
    Temple

West

North

Washington
    WSU
    Oregon
    Stanford
    ORGST
    Colorodo
    Kansas
    Kansas St

South

Texas
    Oklahoma
    Okie lite
    USC
    UCLA
    Arizona
    ASU
    Cal

Will it happen? Probably not, but very few would be able to argue SOS for conference champs since everyone most likely has to go through hell to win a conference, and doesnt have the luxury of FCS or very weak P4 teams.

But a big part of the problem that exists in scheduling is due to the Big XII (Texas) strongly being against current members facing former members. The Big XII does a lot of clapping at the SEC but I dont see Texas proactively pursuing a ATM series
    Last edited by 81usaf92; November 15th, 2018 at 01:15 PM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I am not sure the tradition of "historical rivalries" means much any more and will be less meaningful as the younger fans replace all of us. I do think college football as we have known it since the 1950's or 60's or 70's is on the way out to be replaced by something that will not be about tradition but about the "almighty dollar". I am quite sure I will not be around to witness this.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner