12 SEC team schedule - Page 5
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Re: 12 SEC team schedule

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I am not sure the tradition of "historical rivalries" means much any more and will be less meaningful as the younger fans replace all of us. I do think college football as we have known it since the 1950's or 60's or 70's is on the way out to be replaced by something that will not be about tradition but about the "almighty dollar". I am quite sure I will not be around to witness this.
    The only historic rivalries Im aware of that was killed by the almighty dollar (that actually meant something) are aTm/ Texas and OU/ Nebraska. But lets be real, had Florida had an unfair advantage with airing highschool games on an exclusive network then I dont think many here would wanna stay in the SEC.

Point is there was just as much to do about competitive advantages as there was to do with financial advantages when the 4 teams left the Big XII.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

The only advantage college football has over any other sport is rivalries
    Logic gets you from A to Z while curiosity takes you everywhere else.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noah.Dreams View Post
    The only advantage college football has over any other sport is rivalries
    That is not entirely true. They have a built in fan base - students and alumni. No matter where their lives take them, they follow their school's sports programs.

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

Noah dreams...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    That is not entirely true. They have a built in fan base - students and alumni. No matter where their lives take them, they follow their school's sports programs.
    This is the primary advantage and it is powerful. of course, rivalries are very important too.

Other thoughts:

Controversy is not necessarily bad. Also, it would not be removed with automatic qualifiers which are contemptible given the great disparity in conference strength. There will always be real flaws combined with general discontentment in any system. The current one is preferable to any other that I've heard proposed.

I've already lost much interest in regular season MLB, college basketball, NBA and NHL because of the how meaningless it is. I've also lost a good bit of interest in MLB's post season because the best team rarely wins, this season and last being refreshing exceptions. Even the NFL's reg season has lost value. The 4 team CFP has caused a little bit of diminished interest in the reg season because it is the only thing that now matters. The bowl season has been crushed. College football has it as close to perfect as it is likely to get. IMO, the SEC should not add a conf game but add one more P5 game. Thus they would have 10 and with 1 G5 and 1 FCS. But this would be a minor, though welcome, tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    This is the primary advantage and it is powerful. of course, rivalries are very important too.

Other thoughts:

Controversy is not necessarily bad. Also, it would not be removed with automatic qualifiers which are contemptible given the great disparity in conference strength. There will always be real flaws combined with general discontentment in any system. The current one is preferable to any other that I've heard proposed.

I've already lost much interest in regular season MLB, college basketball, NBA and NHL because of the how meaningless it is. I've also lost a good bit of interest in MLB's post season because the best team rarely wins, this season and last being refreshing exceptions. Even the NFL's reg season has lost value. The 4 team CFP has caused a little bit of diminished interest in the reg season because it is the only thing that now matters. The bowl season has been crushed. College football has it as close to perfect as it is likely to get. IMO, the SEC should not add a conf game but add one more P5 game. Thus they would have 10 and with 1 G5 and 1 FCS. But this would be a minor, though welcome, tweak.
    How often do the best 2 teams play in the NC in college football?

The argument that the best team wins more in college than the NFL is not as clear cut as many think. In the 4 years of the playoffs I can say only 1 time have the clear two best teams have met in the NC maybe twice if you count last year.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post

The argument that the best team wins more in college than the NFL is not as clear cut as many think. In the 4 years of the playoffs I can say only 1 time have the clear two best teams have met in the NC maybe twice if you count last year.
    Agreed, but the best 2 teams got a chance to play in that game all four of those years. That is what is unprecedented in this sport. But I agree that it has decreased the "value" of other bowl games.

BamaNation All-American

I think a good case can be made that the 2 best teams have played in each of the past 3 seasons: Bama/Clemson, Clemson/Bama, Bama/UGA. In fact, a good case can be made that OSU and Bama were the two best teams in 2014, though they played in the semifinal. I do strongly believe that the likelihood of having the best team in one of the top 4 is great and that due to the nature of college football that that superiority has a high chance of resulting in 2 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    I think a good case can be made that the 2 best teams have played in each of the past 3 seasons: Bama/Clemson, Clemson/Bama, Bama/UGA. In fact, a good case can be made that OSU and Bama were the two best teams in 2014, though they played in the semifinal. I do strongly believe that the likelihood of having the best team in one of the top 4 is great and that due to the nature of college football that that superiority has a high chance of resulting in 2 wins.
    2014: tOSU and Alabama didnít play in the NC but were the two best teams.

2015: tOSU, Alabama, and Clemson were the best teams, but tOSUís bad day was more costly than our bad day

2016: Clemson and Bama but the best team didnít win.

2017: I still believe Oklahoma was better than UGA, but their coaching staff costed them the game. But if you wanna count it then fine.

My issue is with this common notion that the NFL regular season doesnít mean much or the best teams donít play for the SB. I just donít agree when the 1-3 seeds win and go to the SB far more than the 4-6 seeds. They are seeded by regular season performances, and the very idea of the playoffs is to leave no doubt. So a team canít hide behind being playing in a weak conference like they can in College football. I still maintain that college football doesnít have a true playoff and still suffers from the same things they suffered with in the BCS.

2014: tOSU and Alabama didn’t play in the NC but were the two best teams.

2015: tOSU, Alabama, and Clemson were the best teams, but tOSU’s bad day was more costly than our bad day

2016: Clemson and Bama but the best team didn’t win.

2017: I still believe Oklahoma was better than UGA, but their coaching staff costed them the game. But if you wanna count it then fine.

My issue is with this common notion that the NFL regular season doesn’t mean much or the best teams don’t play for the SB. I just don’t agree when the 1-3 seeds win and go to the SB far more than the 4-6 seeds. They are seeded by regular season performances, and the very idea of the playoffs is to leave no doubt. So a team can’t hide behind being playing in a weak conference like they can in College football. I still maintain that college football doesn’t have a true playoff and still suffers from the same things they suffered with in the BCS.
    The goal is not to get the best teams into the finals - it is to get the best teams into the CFP. What they do when they get there is up to them. And the CFP has put the two best teams in the playoffs every year so far, which is about as much as you can hope for in college football. Try to go much deeper and the water gets too murky because there is not enough cross-play to really know who is the 7th best team, for instance. The top 2 or 3 really stand out, but beyond that - not really.

The goals of the NFL playoff, likewise, is not to get the two best teams into the SB, it is to give the best teams an opportunity to play in the SB. It also accomplishes its goal.

The goal is not to get the best teams into the finals - it is to get the best teams into the CFP. What they do when they get there is up to them. And the CFP has put the two best teams in the playoffs every year so far, which is about as much as you can hope for in college football. Try to go much deeper and the water gets too murky because there is not enough cross-play to really know who is the 7th best team, for instance. The top 2 or 3 really stand out, but beyond that - not really.

The goals of the NFL playoff, likewise, is not to get the two best teams into the SB, it is to give the best teams an opportunity to play in the SB. It also accomplishes its goal.
    Pretty much my point. I just donít get this common argument, ď I donít watch the NFL because the regular season doesnít mean muchĒ. The problem is that the #1 and #2 seeds have a substantial advantage over everyone else, and their seeding is directly decided by the regular season. I mean who really wants to go to Pittsburgh or Foxborough on a cold January night or have to go to the Super Dome amongst a lot of drunk crazy Cajuns to win a playoff game? It is a sizable advantage.

The point of a playoff is to see who can handle the pressure when itís cranked up to 11, not to find the best team.

Pretty much my point. I just don’t get this common argument, “ I don’t watch the NFL because the regular season doesn’t mean much”. The problem is that the #1 and #2 seeds have a substantial advantage over everyone else, and their seeding is directly decided by the regular season. I mean who really wants to go to Pittsburgh or Foxborough on a cold January night or have to go to the Super Dome amongst a lot of drunk crazy Cajuns to win a playoff game? It is a sizable advantage.

The point of a playoff is to see who can handle the pressure when it’s cranked up to 11, not to find the best team.
    The bolded is the main reason that I would love to see the CFP go to 6 teams. The regular season games would mean far more in a scenario in which the top 2 seeds get a bye in the playoffs. It makes every game more important by both making more slots available, and by making the top seeds more valuable. But this, alas, would even further devalue the rest of the bowl season. The harsh reality - bowl games are now just a reward. The players appreciate the reward, but the fans just don't care. Not sure how you fix that.

The bolded is the main reason that I would love to see the CFP go to 6 teams. The regular season games would mean far more in a scenario in which the top 2 seeds get a bye in the playoffs. It makes every game more important by both making more slots available, and by making the top seeds more valuable. But this, alas, would even further devalue the rest of the bowl season. The harsh reality - bowl games are now just a reward. The players appreciate the reward, but the fans just don't care. Not sure how you fix that.
    1) personally I wish we went to a 6 team playoff with 4 Superconferences. 4 seeds being 4 champs and 2 seeds being at large. The NFL has a proven SOS element that decides who is in, above, or out of the playoff seeding so it can be done.

2) I think the bowl season has been irrelevant since the poll era ended, but died fully in 2006. I mean who really cares about a non important Sugar bowl anymore.