12 SEC team schedule

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
It’s a crying shame that Alabama has scheduled Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Miss, Western Carolina in the same season.
Got to admit that the schedule is pretty dead gum mediocre as a spectator. Week 3 will be interesting so will the game at A&M. LSU and @ Auburn are good match-ups but all of these are our conference opponents. I know when Duke was scheduled they were up and coming under Cut and they will give us a good game though 3 quarters. Just hard to get fired up over the offseason starting out with the Blue Devils instead of USC, Michigan, FLA ST and the like. Mexico State, Southern Miss, Western Carolina will be a good chance for our reserves to get some PT but these weekends are prime candidates for honey-do catchup weekends. Just hard to get fired up about games with no chance of competing against us. But that is the nature of the beast I guess. I like Nick's ideas but won't come to fruition in a million years.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Betting he's referencing the injuries sustained in that game.
Nearly ruined Alabama's year (would have if not for a fluke season), and permanently destroyed FSU for many years to come. Injuries can happen any time, but are far more likely in tough games.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
It’s a crying shame that Alabama has scheduled Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Miss, Western Carolina in the same season.
Alabama did not schedule Duke. Gary Stokan, President of Peach Bowl, Inc contracted Duke to play in HIS game. AFTER he had contracted Alabama to play in HIS game.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
In the current college football world, SEC teams play the most difficult schedules in the country. You must want Alabama to lose if you want the schedule even harder.
Bama routinely plays one of the top10 most difficult schedules in the country, yet some want more.

If you're asking for 'better games' you care more about your own entertainment than you care about Alabama winning championships, plain and simple.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Bama routinely plays one of the top10 most difficult schedules in the country, yet some want more.

If you're asking for 'better games' you care more about your own entertainment than you care about Alabama winning championships, plain and simple.
I think Selma proved that even some of our more "weaker" schedules in the past 11 years were far tougher than that nostalgic 1978 schedule everyone talks about. Sure I would love to see Alabama play some teams like Texas, Ohio St, or whoever but not at the expense of winning a national championship. This is probably my favorite schedule in years because it gives us 2 breaks vs two big games, and we don't have a behemoth P5 school for once.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My favorite kind of game is when we win by 40+ and are subbing in 3rd stringers by the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Seeing guys get battered and beat up and worst of all, injured for the season, is not fun in any way.

We've got enough big games in our division alone to carry us.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I have this awesome story of sneaking into the National Championship game vs Georgia, and seeing the game that I will cherish for the rest of my life... that said that game was hell to live through with Dawg fans being Dawg fans and the National Championship on the line. . I often get the "Oh that must of been the greatest game to go to", "Oh you mustve had so much fun watching that game live", and "that must've been such a great atmosphere to be apart of". Well I can honestly say the only part after Tony Brown picked off Fromm that I was not a nervous wreck enough to enjoy was AFTER Tua's walkoff. But I think my biggest emotion going out was RELIEF until it sunk in at the parking lot and went home. I think most fans that want these kinda games either never been to these types of games live or are gluttons for punishment. I remember my Mom always wanting to see an exciting game because we only went to blowouts together, but after we went to Oxford in 2016 she said she had her fill for it.

FTR I still go to the big games in which we have a chance to lose, but I'm done with hoping we stack a schedule with those types of teams after living through enough nailbiters. Ive accepted that close and tight games will and can happen, and I can sit through them. But I don't hope they happen. I've gone to every semifinal game and I remember the Cotton Bowl, an Alabama fan said he wished Michigan St would score once to make a more competitive game... I was like " WTH?!? Did you not have your fill last year with Ohio St?"

Exciting games are to be watched after the fact in some DVD and Blue Ray collection. I think living through them live is overrated after you've done it once.

40 point Alabama wins are the most exciting games to me.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I have this awesome story of sneaking into the National Championship game vs Georgia, and seeing the game that I will cherish for the rest of my life... that said that game was hell to live through with Dawg fans being Dawg fans and the National Championship on the line. . I often get the "Oh that must of been the greatest game to go to", "Oh you mustve had so much fun watching that game live", and "that must've been such a great atmosphere to be apart of". Well I can honestly say the only part after Tony Brown picked off Fromm that I was not a nervous wreck enough to enjoy was AFTER Tua's walkoff. But I think my biggest emotion going out was RELIEF until it sunk in at the parking lot and went home. I think most fans that want these kinda games either never been to these types of games live or are gluttons for punishment. I remember my Mom always wanting to see an exciting game because we only went to blowouts together, but after we went to Oxford in 2016 she said she had her fill for it.

FTR I still go to the big games in which we have a chance to lose, but I'm done with hoping we stack a schedule with those types of teams after living through enough nailbiters. Ive accepted that close and tight games will and can happen, and I can sit through them. But I don't hope they happen. I've gone to every semifinal game and I remember the Cotton Bowl, an Alabama fan said he wished Michigan St would score once to make a more competitive game... I was like " WTH?!? Did you not have your fill last year with Ohio St?"

Exciting games are to be watched after the fact in some DVD and Blue Ray collection. I think living through live is overrated.

I know a lot of people feel this way but I feel the opposite. Crushing OU last year or Washington in 2016 wasn't nearly as memorable and therefore enjoyable for me as Tennessee in 2009 for example. Or @ LSU in 2014.

I also just realized every year I've seen Alabama play since I've left campus we've failed to win the championship...yikes.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I know a lot of people feel this way but I feel the opposite. Crushing OU last year or Washington in 2016 wasn't nearly as memorable and therefore enjoyable for me as Tennessee in 2009 for example. Or @ LSU in 2014.
LSU fans get a bad rap in terms of how bad they are imo. They are nowhere as bad as how UGA, Michigan, and UF fans (Bazza you are one of the good ones) treat Alabama fans. I went to BR in the 2016 game, and they weren't that bad, just loud, whiney, and crazy. Go to an Alabama vs UGA and Florida (when they are good) in Atlanta and on their campuses and youll probably never wish for a close game again. I think close games are more tolerable at home than away, but I still find more enjoyment in lighting up the scoreboard than worrying about if we are going to win.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Cupcake games offer very little in return for the risk while there’s even less incentive to televise a game with a big point spread.
So do you count the 2017 National championship? Because Alabama was rewarded for playing Mercer while Ohio St was punished for playing Oklahoma.

I find this whole idea insane... Lets just for argument's sake say the SEC decrees you to have 1 P5 and 3 FBS teams on the schedule. What's from stopping a 4 year plan like this?

2020: Alabama- Oklahoma, Cincy, USM, and UTEP
Auburn- Kansas, USA, UAB, and Nevada
2021 Alabama- @ Oklahoma, Boise, USM, and New Mexico St
Auburn: Iowa St, Memphis, Bowling Green, and UAB
2022 Alabama: Ohio St, Kent St, Fresno, and Arkansas St
Auburn: Illinois, USA, CSU, and Idaho
2023 Alabama: @ Ohio St, Nevada, San Diego St, and Tulsa
Auburn: Arizona, Toledo, Eastern Michigan, and Georgia St

You know darn well folks in the SEC would be gaming the system like they already are with the p5 stipulation already in place.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
LSU fans get a bad rap in terms of how bad they are imo. They are nowhere as bad as how UGA, Michigan, and UF fans (Bazza you are one of the good ones) treat Alabama fans. I went to BR in the 2016 game, and they weren't that bad, just loud, whiney, and crazy. Go to an Alabama vs UGA and Florida (when they are good) in Atlanta and on their campuses and youll probably never wish for a close game again. I think close games are more tolerable at home than away, but I still find more enjoyment in lighting up the scoreboard than worrying about if we are going to win.
The one thing Alabama and auburn fans agree on is uga fans are the worst.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Exciting games are to be watched after the fact in some DVD and Blue Ray collection. I think living through them live is overrated after you've done it once.

They are not even enjoyable at home on the couch. The last 2 Georgia games were horrible to sit through until the final moments. Sure, the second halves offered glimmers as the comebacks were mounted, but it was still nerve wracking until the end. I don't enjoy that. Now, if the game doesn't involve Alabama, sure I like a good close game with a lot of back and forth. But give me massacres every time my team steps out on the field. I've never understood wanting to be like everyone else. I don't care if general college football fans enjoy Alabama games...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I like a balanced schedule that provides a certain degree of interest level (in the out of conference schedule) AND provides us a chance to win the national title. I do watch for entertainment purposes. If I didn't get any entertainment out of it then why in the heck am I using my weekend time to watch? LOL! I have no interest in watching games against teams that do not provide any degree of competitive push back. Granted, I'm not saying load up the OOC schedule with Clemson's and Ohio St's. But from an entertainment/interest standpoint, at least pick opponents that will give the team enough competitive push back that it helps prepare for future games.

Scheduling games that only serve the purpose of a "bye" can backfire real quick. You get a team out there that simply stepping on the grass of Bryant Denny is considered a win. You end up getting teams like the Citadel who have a "nothing to lose" mentality and begin playing dirty. Which we all know how infuriated and deflating it is to lose key players in these type games.

My .02

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Scheduling games that only serve the purpose of a "bye" can backfire real quick.
2017: Mercer vs Oklahoma.... I think picking Mercer greatly benefited one team over another. You get rid of these types of games and you face more non championship and non playoff years.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
My experience with LSU fans may have been different than most. I went with my sister and her husband. They lived in Baton Rouge at the time and his family are huge LSU fans and a ton of people know them so I felt very welcomed at every tailgate we stopped at.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.