12 SEC team schedule - Page 6
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 174
  1. #66
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,800

    Re: 12 SEC team schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    1) personally I wish we went to a 6 team playoff with 4 Superconferences. 4 seeds being 4 champs and 2 seeds being at large. The NFL has a proven SOS element that decides who is in, above, or out of the playoff seeding so it can be done.

    2) I think the bowl season has been irrelevant since the poll era ended, but died fully in 2006. I mean who really cares about a non important Sugar bowl anymore.
    College football is not going to realign like that for one reason - $$$. There are too many people sitting at the top of these conferences making huge paychecks, and they are the ones making the call. They are not going to vote themselves out of a job.

    I disagree about the bowl season. It is still as relevant as it was before the BCS. The fact that it does not decide a championship does not make it less relevant to the players, coaches and programs. The games add exposure, they offer a reward for hard work, and they give teams a chance at additional practices. If the fans don't care for the games, it is because fans tend to be selfish, not because the games are irrelevant.

  2. #67
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,485

    Re: 12 SEC team schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    College football is not going to realign like that for one reason - $$$. There are too many people sitting at the top of these conferences making huge paychecks, and they are the ones making the call. They are not going to vote themselves out of a job.

    I disagree about the bowl season. It is still as relevant as it was before the BCS. The fact that it does not decide a championship does not make it less relevant to the players, coaches and programs. The games add exposure, they offer a reward for hard work, and they give teams a chance at additional practices. If the fans don't care for the games, it is because fans tend to be selfish, not because the games are irrelevant.

    1st paragraph: no, Super conferences are probably not going to happen until Texas and Notre Dame change business models, but they would probably end needless controversies about schedules, non P5 teams, and who deserves to be in.

    2nd paragraph: I believe college football in general is declining. Not going away entirely, but fans going to games. I think the advancement in technology has killed the excitement of going to bowl games with no real meaning.

  3. #68
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    15,843

    Re: 12 SEC team schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    1st paragraph: no, Super conferences are probably not going to happen until Texas and Notre Dame change business models, but they would probably end needless controversies about schedules, non P5 teams, and who deserves to be in.

    2nd paragraph: I believe college football in general is declining. Not going away entirely, but fans going to games. I think the advancement in technology has killed the excitement of going to bowl games with no real meaning.
    This^^^ college football is declining for numerous reasons, but I still believe the over exposure on television and the cost to attend a game in person. As I have said before, I like to attend one home game a year simply to see what I am not missing.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

  4. #69
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,213

    Re: 12 SEC team schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    2014: tOSU and Alabama didnít play in the NC but were the two best teams.

    2015: tOSU, Alabama, and Clemson were the best teams, but tOSUís bad day was more costly than our bad day

    2016: Clemson and Bama but the best team didnít win.

    2017: I still believe Oklahoma was better than UGA, but their coaching staff costed them the game. But if you wanna count it then fine.
    Thanks, you confirmed my point - the 2 best teams made the playoff each year.

    My issue is with this common notion that the NFL regular season doesnít mean much or the best teams donít play for the SB. I just donít agree when the 1-3 seeds win and go to the SB far more than the 4-6 seeds. They are seeded by regular season performances, and the very idea of the playoffs is to leave no doubt. So a team canít hide behind being playing in a weak conference like they can in College football. I still maintain that college football doesnít have a true playoff and still suffers from the same things they suffered with in the BCS.
    I never said that the best teams don't play for the SB. Conversely, I believe that they get in the "tournament" 100% of the time, and thus have their shot at the SB. It is all you can ask. As far as my comment that the NFL reg season "has lost value", it was because of the fact that if a team is a genuine contender they are assured to make the postseason. Therefore, it removes much of the suspense of the reg season. Of course, since seeding does matter in the NFL and the better record gets the home field advantage for all games but the SB, some interest is added back to the reg season. But again, if a team has a genuine claim to be the champ, it will make the field, thus having a shot.

    Whether college football has a true playoff depends on one's definition. I prefer that it be more selective because IMO, though they say they are selecting the 4 best teams, they are really balancing "best teams" and "most deserving/best season performance". This keeps most 2 loss teams out of the conversation and maintains a proper balance between eye-test and performance. Of course, we are at the mercy of the integrity and competence of the CFP Committee. To this point, IMO they have done a great job. Almost any undefeated P5 team is going to make it in, which means that only those teams who have a loss will complain. And if you lose in college football, IMO, you've put yourself at the mercy of circumstances beyond your control and have no real basis for complaint. I see college football differently from pro sports and hope it maintains its uniqueness. In CF, I much prefer a committee over automatic qualifiers. I can see the reasoning for others' preferred format, but this is my preference. I don't see it as right vs wrong.

  5. #70
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,485

    Re: 12 SEC team schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    Thanks, you confirmed my point - the 2 best teams made the playoff each year.



    .
    2015. Ohio St was one of the best teams in the nation, Oklahoma and Michigan St werent.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

    Hannibal

  6. #71
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,800

    Re: 12 SEC team schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    2015. Ohio St was one of the best teams in the nation, Oklahoma and Michigan St werent.
    I agree, but how can you call that out when MU beat us head to head. Yeah, stupid play calling cost us that game (Zeke barely touched the ball), but they won. And, given what you guys did to MSU that year, I am not sure that we would have done much better.

  7. #72
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,485

    Re: 12 SEC team schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I agree, but how can you call that out when MU beat us head to head. .
    Thats my point. Alot claim the best teams dont play in the NFL playoffs, but they rarely all play in college as well. I think people get too hung up on a 5-6 loss SB, and that a team with a losing record could win the super bowl. But forget the only important question... "How often does that happen?"
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

    Hannibal

  8. #73
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    17,526

    Re: 12 SEC team schedule

    Irrelevance of bowl games is getting back to an old tradition
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

  9. #74
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,213

    Re: 12 SEC team schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    2015. Ohio St was one of the best teams in the nation, Oklahoma and Michigan St werent.
    I agree that it is debatable but IMO, Alabama and Clemson were the 2 best teams in 2015. OSU had great talent, probably the most talented team in the country, but they slopped around most of the year, somewhat like this year, then were dominated by MSU at home (even though it was a 3 pt game, MSU had approx 21-5 edge in FDs and approx 300-150 edge in total O). Though they were far more talented than MSU, there was no way you could put them in ahead of MSU. That's why I say that the CFPC combines "best teams" with "most deserving teams" even though they say "best team". Though they might counter that MSU was a better team though OSU was the much more talented team. But we all know that in one game the best "team" does not always win. Also, the eye-test is not infallible.

    Anyway, I'm not saying your preference is wrong, it's just not my preference.

  10. #75
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Columbia, SC, Richland
    Posts
    1,718

    Re: 12 SEC team schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    2014: tOSU and Alabama didn’t play in the NC but were the two best teams.

    2015: tOSU, Alabama, and Clemson were the best teams, but tOSU’s bad day was more costly than our bad day

    2016: Clemson and Bama but the best team didn’t win.

    2017: I still believe Oklahoma was better than UGA, but their coaching staff costed them the game. But if you wanna count it then fine.


    My issue is with this common notion that the NFL regular season doesn’t mean much or the best teams don’t play for the SB. I just don’t agree when the 1-3 seeds win and go to the SB far more than the 4-6 seeds. They are seeded by regular season performances, and the very idea of the playoffs is to leave no doubt. So a team can’t hide behind being playing in a weak conference like they can in College football. I still maintain that college football doesn’t have a true playoff and still suffers from the same things they suffered with in the BCS.

    Edit, my bad - I got 2015 & 2016 confused.
    Last edited by USCBAMA; November 17th, 2018 at 10:43 AM.

  11. #76
    BamaNation First Team spock*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Posts
    367
    Thread Starter

    12 SEC team schedule

    Now that college football has a playoff, bowl games are nothing more than a postseason scrimmage. Coaches should embrace it and focus on developing next yearís team or testing new coaches
    Last edited by spock*; December 28th, 2018 at 06:43 PM.
    Logic gets you from A to Z while curiosity takes you everywhere else.

  12. #77
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    15,843

    Re: 12 SEC team schedule

    Realistically there are only 7 SEC teams that can win the SECC in any give year: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, TAMU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee. Let these 7 teams play each other every year and rotate 3 teams annually from: Ole Miss, MSU, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, USCe and Missouri. You could still have division winners and an SECC game, if needed. One Power 5 non conference opponent, one Group of 5 opponent and one FCS opponent.
    Last edited by GrayTide; December 29th, 2018 at 11:36 AM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

  13. #78
    Suspended JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Posts
    41,685

    Re: 12 SEC team schedule

    Just keep it as is.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear