12 SEC team schedule - Page 7
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: 12 SEC team schedule

Quote Originally Posted by spock* View Post
    Now that college football has a playoff, bowl games are nothing more than a postseason scrimmage. Coaches should embrace it and focus on developing next year’s team or testing new coaches
    This isn't new. Bowl games have always been nothing more than postseason scrimmages with the exception of two or three bowls that might influence who is declared the national champion. It is the same way now. I'm not sure why people act like bowl games used to "matter". They are simply a reward for players and a chance for fans to see more football, and the coaches love them because they get extra practices.

Alabama football coach Nick Saban has lobbied for Power Five teams only playing Power Five opponents. The Tide could begin a transition by ending FCS games.

Alabama football coach Nick Saban does not get enough credit for his bold thoughts on improving the college game. There will be plenty of negative chatter in the 2019 and 2020 seasons when the Crimson Tide faces FCS teams, Western Carolina and UT Martin.

Scheduling those games is not Saban's preference. He does it because all the SEC schools do it. Every SEC school but one has one FCS game in the 2019 season. The Florida Gators have two. However, the Gators do not play any Group of Five games in 2019. Florida's two other, out-of-conference games are Miami and Florida State.

What Nick Saban has long proposed is for SEC teams to play 10 conference games, plus two other Power Five teams. The only other SEC head coach ever voicing support was Jim McElwain at Florida. Most of the dissenters are concerned about qualifying for bowl games.

Nick Saban has a plan that changes the six-win threshold for bowl games. Saban believes bowl games should be seeded like the NCAA basketball tournament, without a minimum win requirement. Such a big effort would either require a new committee or an extension of scope for the CFB Playoff Committee. Saban's suggestion has merit but so far he appears to be a lone voice.

https://bamahammer.com/2019/05/08/al...-fcs-contests/

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Itís time for the SEC to think outside the box with each team playing 12 SEC games each season.
    I'm trying to figure out the logic that says "returning our sport to a REGIONAL sport" is considered thinking "outside the box."

That's about as inside the box as one can get.

The SEC has a built in monopoly of football rivalry so thereís no need to share the revenue.

When the rest of the power five adopts this strategy then the season becomes a playoff so we eliminate the need to expand the playoff system to more than four teams.
    The ONLY way that the four-team playoff stays is:
    a) reduction of FBS teams to only four conferences
    b) conference champion is in

I can't wait until we wind up with 8-4 Auburn as the SEC rep? How about you?

The SEC needs to demonstrate this proof of concept before the current TV contract expires. The next TV vendor ( google, amazon, netflix) will triple revenue by focusing on intra conference games of the top 50 teams
    The SEC is loading up on H/H games.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Second Team CoachInWaiting's Avatar

Alabama football coach Nick Saban has lobbied for Power Five teams only playing Power Five opponents. The Tide could begin a transition by ending FCS games.

Alabama football coach Nick Saban does not get enough credit for his bold thoughts on improving the college game. There will be plenty of negative chatter in the 2019 and 2020 seasons when the Crimson Tide faces FCS teams, Western Carolina and UT Martin.

Scheduling those games is not Saban's preference. He does it because all the SEC schools do it. Every SEC school but one has one FCS game in the 2019 season. The Florida Gators have two. However, the Gators do not play any Group of Five games in 2019. Florida's two other, out-of-conference games are Miami and Florida State.

What Nick Saban has long proposed is for SEC teams to play 10 conference games, plus two other Power Five teams. The only other SEC head coach ever voicing support was Jim McElwain at Florida. Most of the dissenters are concerned about qualifying for bowl games.

Nick Saban has a plan that changes the six-win threshold for bowl games. Saban believes bowl games should be seeded like the NCAA basketball tournament, without a minimum win requirement. Such a big effort would either require a new committee or an extension of scope for the CFB Playoff Committee. Saban's suggestion has merit but so far he appears to be a lone voice.

I especially like Saban's bowl-seeding proposal. I'd rather see a team get into a bowl on the strength of a quality loss to a top-5 team than by virtue of a 6th win against an FCS bottom-feeder. It could even help bring about something I have wished for in the past, but no other program in the SEC would entertain. As a prelude to a 9-game SEC schedule (or as an attempt to gain support of it), I would like to see an additional cross-division game that is counted as a non-conference game in the standings. It would be designated at the beginning of the year, so everyone knows what page they are on. Alabama and Ole Miss played a 7th conference game during the 70's when 6 were the standard for the 10-team league. Those games did not help or hurt either team in the SEC standings by rule. It would be hard to get any SEC East team to voluntarily play an extra game against Alabama if it lessened their chances of a title or a bowl game, but it might not hurt as bad if the bowls were seeded.

Maybe it would take some of the luster away from the Tennessee rivalry, but since the viles are often complaining about the unfairness of having to submit to the annual thrashing by Alabama, they might be willing to designate that game as not weighing on the SEC race and take on another permanent West Division opponent. Of course, that would require other schools to get involved as well, so therein lies more issues. If I had my way, I would have the barn and viles playing every year and Alabama and Vanderbilt return to an annual match-up. That one is a selfish game for me because it would give me back the every-other-year game in Nashville that I was able to enjoy before the change to 1 cross-division permanent opponent.
    ​They said Bear Bryant walked on water....Nick Saban swims through land.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoachInWaiting View Post
    I especially like Saban's bowl-seeding proposal. I'd rather see a team get into a bowl on the strength of a quality loss to a top-5 team than by virtue of a 6th win against an FCS bottom-feeder. It could even help bring about something I have wished for in the past, but no other program in the SEC would entertain. As a prelude to a 9-game SEC schedule (or as an attempt to gain support of it), I would like to see an additional cross-division game that is counted as a non-conference game in the standings. It would be designated at the beginning of the year, so everyone knows what page they are on. Alabama and Ole Miss played a 7th conference game during the 70's when 6 were the standard for the 10-team league. Those games did not help or hurt either team in the SEC standings by rule. It would be hard to get any SEC East team to voluntarily play an extra game against Alabama if it lessened their chances of a title or a bowl game, but it might not hurt as bad if the bowls were seeded.

Maybe it would take some of the luster away from the Tennessee rivalry, but since the viles are often complaining about the unfairness of having to submit to the annual thrashing by Alabama, they might be willing to designate that game as not weighing on the SEC race and take on another permanent West Division opponent. Of course, that would require other schools to get involved as well, so therein lies more issues. If I had my way, I would have the barn and viles playing every year and Alabama and Vanderbilt return to an annual match-up. That one is a selfish game for me because it would give me back the every-other-year game in Nashville that I was able to enjoy before the change to 1 cross-division permanent opponent.

You are confused and wrong about the Ole Miss-Bama games played in the 70's when the conference had a a Six Conference Game Minimum rule. All of those games did count in the standings. The only two regular season games in the history of the SEC played by SEC teams against each other that did not count in the standings were those played by Ole Miss and Bama in 1980 and 1981 when, in 1980, the SEC changed the rule to a Six Conference Game Minimum/Maximum Rule. The 80-81 games were already scheduled, of course, and the schools did not want to cancel them so they were played as OOC games.

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/football/20...ord%20Book.pdf
    Last edited by ALA2262; May 9th, 2019 at 04:04 PM.

This would be a valid argument if one ignores that Alabama has BY FAR played more games than any other FBS team in the last six seasons since the playoff began.

Alabama has played 72 games since the start of the 2014 season.
    So has Clemson.

THIRTY-EIGHT of Alabama's foes have been ranked at the time of the game.

THIRTEEN of those teams were ranked in the top four. Two more were ranked #6.

Clemson has faced TWENTY-TWO ranked foes in that same time, only nine ranked in the top five (and four of those were Alabama).

But yes, let's make it even more difficult shall we?

You mean like we hear EVERY SINGLE year?

No matter who we play people complain.
    No matter how bad we stomp them people complain.

He does it because:
    a) other conferences have an extra game that reduces the number of opponents possible
    b) small schools like Boise St make impossible demands of either home/home or forcing million-dollar concessions
    c) nobody is exactly lining up to come to Tuscaloosa

True.

The reason we have losing teams in bowl games is because WE HAVE TOO MANY BOWL GAMES!!!!!
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachInWaiting View Post
    Alabama and Ole Miss played a 7th conference game during the 70's when 6 were the standard for the 10-team league. Those games did not help or hurt either team in the SEC standings by rule. It would be hard to get any SEC East team to voluntarily play an extra game against Alabama if it lessened their chances of a title or a bowl game, but it might not hurt as bad if the bowls were seeded.
    Respectfully, you've got this a tiny bit wrong.

The rule prior to 1970 was that to remain in conference you had to schedule A MINIMUM of six SEC games, and the ADs were in charge of this, which is why Alabama did not play Ole Miss for nearly two decades (and vice versa. It was similar with LSU). Of course, the six-game schedule was the relic of the days there was a 12-team SEC that included Tulane and Ga Tech. Obviously once those teams left the SEC, it was much more difficult for teams to schedule six conference games or avoid each other.

In 1966, for example, Alabama and UGA split the SEC title despite UGA (technically) only playing five conference games. They spot UGA a break because they had had the Tech game scheduled for years, and the Yellow Jackets had left the SEC late enough that it was impossible for UGA to find a conference opponent (Ole Miss played 7 SEC games that year, and they couldn't schedule Alabama because of the "cool down" period following the alleged fix).

In 1970, the SEC began exerting a bit more control over the conference schedule (they basically said in 1966 for everyone to get things in order because changes were coming). One of the changes was that since it was now a 10-team conference, they reduced mandatory conference games from six to five.

What eventually happened was a complaint about Alabama "gaming" the system, which - in fact - we did.

In 1972, we won the SEC by 1/2 game over Auburn despite losing the infamous Punt Bama Punt game.
    Why did we win? Because we played eight conference games to their seven.

In 1977, we won the SEC by 1/2 game over Kentucky, but it wouldn't have mattered as UK was ineligible. Both teams were unbeaten.

On May 27, 1980, the SEC, Big Eight, Orange and Sugar Bowls met in Palm Beach, Florida to discuss several related issues. One was a potential swap between the Big Eight and SEC regarding which team went to which bowl. The conferences and the bowl games both realized the potential of repetitive bowl games, so they decided to see if they could reach an agreement on last-minute swaps. Obviously, this never happened.

At the same meeting, the SEC considered two requests by the football folks:
    1) going to an 8-game conference schedule starting in 1988
    2) set the conference champion on the basis of NO MORE THAN six conference games

Just by chance, Alabama and Ole Miss were scheduled to play SEVEN conference games in 1980-81. So the obvious solution was simply to declare those non-conference games because getting an opponent at a late date was next to impossible back then (these games had been scheduled in the mid-70s).

So you're correct that Alabama and Ole Miss played games that didn't count towards the conference - in 80 and 81.

But the mandatory games were only five (not six), and the games DID count in the standings, which is why we won the 1972 SEC title.

Selma said:

"Alabama has played 72 games since the start of the 2014 season.
    So has Clemson.

THIRTY-EIGHT of Alabama's foes have been ranked at the time of the game.

THIRTEEN of those teams were ranked in the top four. Two more were ranked #6."

Take any 47 of the 72 and compare them to OU's 47 game winning streak. You will be astounded. OU played only EIGHTEEN that even had a winning record. Ten of those won 6 or less. Three of those were 5-4-1!

Edit: Their string ended AT HOME to a 7-3 ND team that had lost 6-34 at Michigan State the previous week!
    Last edited by ALA2262; May 10th, 2019 at 09:08 AM.

12 SEC team schedule

Itís a crying shame that Alabama has scheduled Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Miss, Western Carolina in the same season.
    Last edited by spock*; May 11th, 2019 at 11:30 AM.
    Logic gets you from A to Z while curiosity takes you everywhere else.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Itís a crying shame that Alabama has scheduled Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Miss, Western Carolina in the same season.
    Why? Looks like an awesome schedule no blue font required.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Respectfully, you've got this a tiny bit wrong.

The rule prior to 1970 was that to remain in conference you had to schedule A MINIMUM of six SEC games, and the ADs were in charge of this, which is why Alabama did not play Ole Miss for nearly two decades (and vice versa. It was similar with LSU). Of course, the six-game schedule was the relic of the days there was a 12-team SEC that included Tulane and Ga Tech. Obviously once those teams left the SEC, it was much more difficult for teams to schedule six conference games or avoid each other.

In 1966, for example, Alabama and UGA split the SEC title despite UGA (technically) only playing five conference games. They spot UGA a break because they had had the Tech game scheduled for years, and the Yellow Jackets had left the SEC late enough that it was impossible for UGA to find a conference opponent (Ole Miss played 7 SEC games that year, and they couldn't schedule Alabama because of the "cool down" period following the alleged fix).

In 1970, the SEC began exerting a bit more control over the conference schedule (they basically said in 1966 for everyone to get things in order because changes were coming). One of the changes was that since it was now a 10-team conference, they reduced mandatory conference games from six to five.

What eventually happened was a complaint about Alabama "gaming" the system, which - in fact - we did.

In 1972, we won the SEC by 1/2 game over Auburn despite losing the infamous Punt Bama Punt game.
    Why did we win? Because we played eight conference games to their seven.

In 1977, we won the SEC by 1/2 game over Kentucky, but it wouldn't have mattered as UK was ineligible. Both teams were unbeaten.

On May 27, 1980, the SEC, Big Eight, Orange and Sugar Bowls met in Palm Beach, Florida to discuss several related issues. One was a potential swap between the Big Eight and SEC regarding which team went to which bowl. The conferences and the bowl games both realized the potential of repetitive bowl games, so they decided to see if they could reach an agreement on last-minute swaps. Obviously, this never happened.

At the same meeting, the SEC considered two requests by the football folks:
    1) going to an 8-game conference schedule starting in 1988
    2) set the conference champion on the basis of NO MORE THAN six conference games

Just by chance, Alabama and Ole Miss were scheduled to play SEVEN conference games in 1980-81. So the obvious solution was simply to declare those non-conference games because getting an opponent at a late date was next to impossible back then (these games had been scheduled in the mid-70s).

So you're correct that Alabama and Ole Miss played games that didn't count towards the conference - in 80 and 81.

But the mandatory games were only five (not six), and the games DID count in the standings, which is why we won the 1972 SEC title.
    The minimum was six games. From 1954 to 1968 the SEC appointed OOC games to count in the standings so as to avoid violation of the Six Conference Game Minimum Rule. The notation at the bottom of Pg 147 in the following link says there were 16 of these but there were actually 17. FWIW, UGA's record in 1966 (Pg. 149) shows 6-0 because UNC was an appointed conference game for them in that year. Apparently the 5 game minimum was in effect for only three years, 1969-1971. I see no records after that time with fewer than 6 conference games.

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/football/20...ord%20Book.pdf
    Last edited by ALA2262; May 11th, 2019 at 02:03 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Why? Looks like an awesome schedule no blue font required.
    Spock is trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Spock is trolling.
    So is Saban then...
    Logic gets you from A to Z while curiosity takes you everywhere else.