12 SEC team schedule

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My experience with LSU fans may have been different than most. I went with my sister and her husband. They lived in Baton Rouge at the time and his family are huge LSU fans and a ton of people know them so I felt very welcomed at every tailgate we stopped at.
To me LSU fans aren't that bad. They generally get a bad rap because of some barner's experience with them, or some Bama fan that just wound up in the wrong group of them. They have been real hospitable to me, and they love their tigahs and aren't afraid to show it. Yeah they will "Tigah bait" you and rib you a little, but if you can take it then you are probably in for some free food and beer. I think they are worse in T-town in terms of shenanigans than they are in Baton Rogue. But all in all they aren't that bad.

I think Florida and Ole Miss can be very bad when they are good, Mississippi St can be funny, Auburn can be very annoying, but good god Georgia and Michigan are the worst year around (notice not a mention of Nebraska from me.. oopps.) I literally was being told who won the Civil War and quality of education amongst states by a Michigan fan at a football game.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
2017: Mercer vs Oklahoma.... I think picking Mercer greatly benefited one team over another. You get rid of these types of games and you face more non championship and non playoff years.
I disagree. You can schedule lower tier Power 5 teams and still basically be getting a guaranteed win, enough competition to get some productive first half work for your first team and a majority second half to get your backups some work. You would more than likely not have to worry about teams coming in with a "nothing to lose" mentality and resorting to some of the trash we've seen from non P5 schools. That's not a guarantee mind you, just not as likely seeing these lower tier P5 teams are used to playing in big time stadiums against nationally recognized P5 schools.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I disagree. You can schedule lower tier Power 5 teams and still basically be getting a guaranteed win, enough competition to get some productive first half work for your first team and a majority second half to get your backups some work. You would more than likely not have to worry about teams coming in with a "nothing to lose" mentality and resorting to some of the trash we've seen from non P5 schools. That's not a guarantee mind you, just not as likely seeing these lower tier P5 teams are used to playing in big time stadiums against nationally recognized P5 schools.
Some of the teams you reference rank lower than some of the FCS teams Alabama has played. Plus, it still comes down to getting the other team to agree to play you. Alabama isn't going to do a home-and-home with Kansas or Kansas State. That's what would be required to put them on the schedule. Then, there's the week before the Iron Bowl game. The SEC leaves that week open because of the rivalry games the following week. No other P5 conference does that. Who is a team supposed to get then?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I will forever be a fan of the super conference idea. I know there are downsides to it but my biggest concern with it would be fixed by paying players. Get rid of the Big 12 or Pac 12 and just make 4 super conferences and teams can only play games against teams in one of those 4 conferences.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Nearly ruined Alabama's year (would have if not for a fluke season), and permanently destroyed FSU for many years to come. Injuries can happen any time, but are far more likely in tough games.
Yet it is the injuries sustained against the Western Carolinas and Louisiana-Lafayettes that always draw the greatest criticism for risking players against weaker competition. Injuries are a part of the game, and can happen in scrimmages and non-contact situations.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yet it is the injuries sustained against the Western Carolinas and Louisiana-Lafayettes that always draw the greatest criticism for risking players against weaker competition. Injuries are a part of the game, and can happen in scrimmages and non-contact situations.
It's not as simple as that. People are more upset that a player got injured in one of those games compared to a big opponent because of why the player got injured. When a FCS team comes in and plays dirty leading to a player(s) getting injured, fans are more apt to be upset. How can a fan be upset about either of the key injuries sustained in the FSU game? Saw plenty of people upset about the injury Dashawn Hand sustained from Dalton Knox caused by going low during the 2017 Ole Miss game. Wasn't because of the opponent but because of how it happened.

We all know injuries are going to happen. When a player is injured because of a dirty play or tactic (which is what has happened in the games you mention), fans are going to be ticked.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You do realize teams like Charleston Southern and Chattanooga rank higher than teams like Oregon St, Kansas, Indiana, and Illinois quiet regularly?

But the point was more to say this, Ohio St without the Oklahoma loss would've likely gotten in over us in 2017. Yes the Iowa game screams at you, but their SOS was FAR SUPERIOR than ours in 2017. And so was USC's for that matter, but neither of them benefited from playing an extra FBS opponent or extra conference game. But we benefited from playing Mercer.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Some of the teams you reference rank lower than some of the FCS teams Alabama has played. Plus, it still comes down to getting the other team to agree to play you. Alabama isn't going to do a home-and-home with Kansas or Kansas State. That's what would be required to put them on the schedule. Then, there's the week before the Iron Bowl game. The SEC leaves that week open because of the rivalry games the following week. No other P5 conference does that. Who is a team supposed to get then?
They do, but it is obvious through national discussion when teams' schedule come into question, that the optics of it mean something. It is also present in our own fanbase who complain about it. FCS Team A is actually better than lower tier P5 Team A. But lower tier P5 Team A is a more recognizable brand and draws more interest. However, let's not pretend all the FCS teams we play are quality teams. I've watched some of the FCS teams we've played over the years that literally almost every rushing play our running backs would get 8 yards down the field before getting touched. There was next to ZERO competitive element to the game.

What's college football or teams "supposed to do"? That's on them to figure out. It's an issue that isn't just limited to "spoiled" Alabama fans either. I live in LSU country and it is becoming an ever increasing complaint with them. People are getting less and less interested in taking up an entire Saturday (and spending the money it takes) on games like Chattanooga, Ga Southern, Northwestern St. These teams are currently on LSU's 2019 schedule and I can guarantee you when these games come up to be played I will see tickets being basically given away in masses by LSU fans on FB, the radio and on local tv promotions.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They do, but it is obvious through national discussion when teams' schedule come into question, that the optics of it mean something. .
where in the playoff era has schedule come into play?

It is also present in our own fanbase who complain about it. FCS Team A is actually better than lower tier P5 Team A. But lower tier P5 Team A is a more recognizable brand and draws more interest.
We also have a fanbase that whines about attendance, and the majority of the whiners haven't been to a game in the last 8 years. We could schedule Texas El Paso or Kansas on the week before Auburn and have the same amount butts in seats as we do against the Citadel

However, let's not pretend all the FCS teams we play are quality teams. I've watched some of the FCS teams we've played over the years that literally almost every rushing play our running backs would get 8 yards down the field before getting touched. There was next to ZERO competitive element to the game.

I have zero interest of seeing NDSU, James Madison, or Georgia Southern on the schedule the week prior to Auburn, nor do I want see any SEC or P5 team there effectively setting up 5 straight weeks of hell to end the season.

What's college football or teams "supposed to do"? That's on them to figure out. It's an issue that isn't just limited to "spoiled" Alabama fans either. I live in LSU country and it is becoming an ever increasing complaint with them. People are getting less and less interested in taking up an entire Saturday (and spending the money it takes) on games like Chattanooga, Ga Southern, Northwestern St. These teams are currently on LSU's 2019 schedule and I can guarantee you when these games come up to be played I will see tickets being basically given away in masses by LSU fans on FB, the radio and on local tv promotions.
College football attendance has been dwindling for years, and scheduling good games isn't the answer. The problem is it is a lazy boy vs a bleacher, am easy trip to a bathroom vs a long line, cheap hotdogs vs expensive ones, great high def tvs vs a fat guy blocking your view, long days vs short ones, and controllable donkeys vs uncontrollable ones. It has very little to do with the games selected.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
where in the playoff era has schedule come into play?
I wasn't coming at it from that standpoint. But the standpoint that when you hear national discussion about schedules (specifically ours and other SEC teams) it keeps coming up that we play a lot of FCS teams compared to other conferences who at least put P5 teams as their OOC games. Whether you care or not doesn't matter. I'm just telling you what's normally discussed and my point being optics and brand recognition matters to some fans and national pundits

I have zero interest of seeing NDSU, James Madison, or Georgia Southern on the schedule the week prior to Auburn, nor do I want see any SEC or P5 team there effectively setting up 5 straight weeks of hell to end the season.
So you're in favor of a permanent bye before the Iron Bowl? For the record, I'd be completely okay with it.

College football attendance has been dwindling for years, and scheduling good games isn't the answer. The problem is it is a lazy boy vs a bleacher, am easy trip to a bathroom vs a long line, cheap hotdogs vs expensive ones, great high def tvs vs a fat guy blocking your view, long days vs short ones, and controllable donkeys vs uncontrollable ones. It has very little to do with the games selected.

I can't speak for the masses, only for myself and those in "my football circle" during football season. Everything you say about game attendance is spot on. But I can tell you that scheduling some of these OOC games with lessor known opponents also impacts those watching at home as well. I try to catch all the Bama games, but it is less of a priority to watch it live, rather than to simply DVR it and may or may not watch it at the first part of the week. I know a lot of other people (LSU fans) who are the same way. Now, that may have a lot to do with our age and where were are in life. Most of those in my circle are in their late 30's early 40's with multiple kids. But I'm pretty confident that A LOT of LSU fans who would watch from home, go do "other stuff" on a Saturday if LSU is playing a FCS team. So it's not only reflected in attendance. But viewership at home as well.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I wasn't coming at it from that standpoint. But the standpoint that when you hear national discussion about schedules (specifically ours and other SEC teams) it keeps coming up that we play a lot of FCS teams compared to other conferences who at least put P5 teams as their OOC games. Whether you care or not doesn't matter. I'm just telling you what's normally discussed and my point being optics and brand recognition matters to some fans and national pundits

So you're in favor of a permanent bye before the Iron Bowl?

I can't speak for the masses, only for myself and those in "my football circle" during football season. Everything you say about game attendance is spot on. But I can tell you that scheduling some of these OOC games with lessor known opponents also impacts those watching at home as well. I try to catch all the Bama games, but it is less of a priority to watch it live, rather than to simply DVR it and may or may not watch it at the first part of the week. I know a lot of other people (LSU fans) who are the same way. Now, that may have a lot to do with our age and where were are in life. Most of those in my circle are in their late 30's early 40's with multiple kids. But I'm pretty confident that A LOT of LSU fans who would watch from home, go do "other stuff" on a Saturday if LSU is playing a FCS team. So it's not only reflected in attendance. But viewership at home as well.
The issue with the week before the Auburn game is this

SEC Game
SEC game
Tennessee
BYE
LSU
MsST
FCS
AUBURN
SECCG

It really needs to be a break considering LSU and MSU are tough games but you can’t sacrifice the bye before LSU. I just don’t think the 5 weeks of hell is a good way to end the season. More or less I believe it serves a purpose and it benefits us to have that understood bye week before Auburn.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
The issue with the week before the Auburn game is this

SEC Game
SEC game
Tennessee
BYE
LSU
MsST
FCS
AUBURN
SECCG

It really needs to be a break considering LSU and MSU are tough games but you can’t sacrifice the bye before LSU. I just don’t think the 5 weeks of hell is a good way to end the season. More or less I believe it serves a purpose and it benefits us to have that understood bye week before Auburn.
I'd like to see the distribution of conference games distributed differently. That may help some. I'd actually like to see the Iron Bowl as the season opener. Get it out of the way, both teams are healthy and we're not playing the biggest rivalry game on the planet at the back end of a season AND after playing a second half schedule that is a meat grinder. It just doesn't line up well for us. We're usually worn completely out and banged up a lot.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'd like to see the distribution of conference games distributed differently. That may help some. I'd actually like to see the Iron Bowl as the season opener. Get it out of the way, both teams are healthy and we're not playing the biggest rivalry game on the planet at the back end of a season AND after playing a second half schedule that is a meat grinder. It just doesn't line up well for us. We're usually worn completely out and banged up a lot.
With the UGA/AU game being moved to October starting in 2020, you can forget that now.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
It's not as simple as that. People are more upset that a player got injured in one of those games compared to a big opponent because of why the player got injured. When a FCS team comes in and plays dirty leading to a player(s) getting injured, fans are more apt to be upset. How can a fan be upset about either of the key injuries sustained in the FSU game? Saw plenty of people upset about the injury Dashawn Hand sustained from Dalton Knox caused by going low during the 2017 Ole Miss game. Wasn't because of the opponent but because of how it happened.

We all know injuries are going to happen. When a player is injured because of a dirty play or tactic (which is what has happened in the games you mention), fans are going to be ticked.
Brodie got hurt against Western Carolina without getting hit and the lament was that he should have been out of the game anyway. Prothro's career was ended on a play in the Florida game when some said Shula should have called off the dogs. When players get hurt, people react how they react. There's not much rhyme or reason to it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Brodie got hurt against Western Carolina without getting hit and the lament was that he should have been out of the game anyway. Prothro's career was ended on a play in the Florida game when some said Shula should have called off the dogs. When players get hurt, people react how they react. There's not much rhyme or reason to it.
Again, those complaints are why the player got injured, not that he did.

Mind showing me the complaints from the 2017 FSU game? Or complaints about Anfernee Jennings' injury against Clemson in the Sugar Bowl? Or where people had issue with Eddie Jackson's injury against TAMU?

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
There are a few things wrong with this theory. For one, Alabama (or any other program) cannot write a schedule all on their own. They need a willing partner. Many of those lower-tier Power 5 schools you reference are also striving to win 6 games and become bowl eligible. They can have a lot better chance of that if they don't take a guaranteed beating from the premier program in football. Those teams who aren't adversely impacted by the loss are FCS programs who have a playoff structure. If you schedule an FBS opponent that is lower-tier and also a real bottom-feeder with no chance of a bowl game, you have the "nothing to lose" mentality all over again.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Again, those complaints are why the player got injured, not that he did.

Mind showing me the complaints from the 2017 FSU game? Or complaints about Anfernee Jennings' injury against Clemson in the Sugar Bowl? Or where people had issue with Eddie Jackson's injury against TAMU?
I never said that injuries were a source of complaints in the FSU game. I asked why someone thought it almost cost us a championship and others opined that it was probably because of the injuries. (Wouldn't dirty play also be a "why" a player got injured? I think your argument has gone circular.)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I never said that injuries were a source of complaints in the FSU game. I asked why someone thought it almost cost us a championship and others opined that it was probably because of the injuries. (Wouldn't dirty play also be a "why" a player got injured? I think your argument has gone circular.)
Good lord... That's exactly what I said as the "why" fans were upset in the WCU and Citadel games.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You dont think Miller and Lewis being hurt wasnt a huge reason why we lost to Auburn? FSU and Alabama beat the hell out of each other, FSU just got the worse of it. But Bama was hurting all year because of it as well.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
There are a few things wrong with this theory. For one, Alabama (or any other program) cannot write a schedule all on their own. They need a willing partner. Many of those lower-tier Power 5 schools you reference are also striving to win 6 games and become bowl eligible. They can have a lot better chance of that if they don't take a guaranteed beating from the premier program in football. Those teams who aren't adversely impacted by the loss are FCS programs who have a playoff structure. If you schedule an FBS opponent that is lower-tier and also a real bottom-feeder with no chance of a bowl game, you have the "nothing to lose" mentality all over again.

There's nothing "wrong" with the theory. It simply exposes the problems with college football and it's scheduling and the scheduling "dog and pony show" schools feel like they have to play.

This somewhat touches on a topic Saban was harping on a few years back. We may tend to forget that Coach Saban IS IN FAVOR of a 9 conference game schedule. But he's also an advocate of a multiple loss team being given the chance at a national title. So in essence, it seems he's saying he wants a harder schedule, but if we're going to do this we've got to get away from the unofficial rule of "we can't have a multiple loss team competing for the national title". There's no doubt conference games garner higher attendance, higher revenue and higher viewership than OOC games like the Citadel.

I'll also throw in how idiotic it is that teams "have to" schedule games 11-12 years out. I saw something the other day where Florida and Texas had agreed to a home and home in 2031 and 2032. We can put a man on the moon and an object on mars. But lord knows we have to begin scheduling games a decade out and that's the only way we can do it.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.