12 SEC team schedule - Page 8
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: 12 SEC team schedule

Quote Originally Posted by spock* View Post
    So is Saban then...
    He is not trolling. He has a different agenda. And he doesn't beat is like a drum.

In the current college football world, SEC teams play the most difficult schedules in the country. You must want Alabama to lose if you want the schedule even harder.

12 SEC team schedule

Iím not afraid of competition especially with Saban as the coach. The SEC has a huge advantage over the rest of college football and itís called content. Everyone wants to play Alabama maybe youíve seen the signs across the nation.

Cupcake games offer very little in return for the risk while thereís even less incentive to televise a game with a big point spread. In the meantime, thereís plenty of tickets available for the Duke game. Attendance is dropping and better competition may stop the slide.

Last edited by spock*; May 12th, 2019 at 08:50 PM.
    Logic gets you from A to Z while curiosity takes you everywhere else.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

After how one game with Florida St nearly costed us a championship in 2017, what sane Alabama fan would want to make the schedule harder than what it already is?

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Iím not afraid of competition especially with Saban as the coach. The SEC has a huge advantage over the rest of college football and itís called content. Everyone wants to play Alabama maybe youíve seen the signs across the nation.

Cupcake games offer very little in return for the risk while thereís little incentive to televise a game with a big point spread. In the meantime, thereís plenty of tickets available for the Duke game. Attendance is dropping and better competition may stop the slide.

Attendance in college football is already down and dwindling due to advancement in entertainment technology. I donít think you wouldíve had a packed house or a very hard ticket even if it was Texas instead of Duke.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Iím not afraid of competition especially with Saban as the coach.
    Of course you aren't. You don't have to play in the games. You just want to be entertained

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

I'm moving this week, so my participation here will be sparse. However, you make a couple of good points here that I have to address.

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    The minimum was six games. From 1954 to 1968 the SEC appointed OOC games to count in the standings so as to avoid violation of the Six Conference Game Minimum Rule. The notation at the bottom of Pg 147 in the following link says there were 16 of these but there were actually 17. FWIW, UGA's record in 1966 (Pg. 149) shows 6-0 because UNC was an appointed conference game for them in that year. Apparently the 5 game minimum was in effect for only three years, 1969-1971. I see no records after that time with fewer than 6 conference games.

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/football/20...ord%20Book.pdf

1) The AP article I quoted from May 1980 (concerning the Alabama-Ole Miss resolution) was apparently incorrect. I had always thought it was six games for the reasons you cite, but it's difficult for me to argue with an article contemporaneous to the time since I didn't know. Further research turned up articles that stated that idea was wrong.

2) I turned up another cache of articles noting that the "only count six conference games" concept passed in 1980 was being debated prior to the 1977 season. It also turned up several articles that folks would smile about nowadays - including Indiana Coach Lee Corson warning the Big Ten that their plan to go round-robin by 1983 was going to cost the conference bowl bids and national championships and that the Big Ten needed to follow the SEC model of six conference games. Also - the SEC was talking about SEC-eding from the NCAA because of the limitations on TV.

3) The Georgia problem was actually the product of Ga Tech leaving the SEC. Pardon my assumption on that, but I was aware that was both Tulane and Tech left, they had to make some temporary modifications because scheduling games in the 60s wasn't anything like today.

But I would note this.....even playing only five games would really hurt a team if that had been the rule - you lose the conference by 1/2 game.

Side note: the ACC declared Duke, UNC, and SCAR ineligible for the conf title prior to the season in 1966 because they had not scheduled six conf games. That was reason for expulsion from the SEC at that time.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I'm moving this week, so my participation here will be sparse. However, you make a couple of good points here that I have to address.

1) The AP article I quoted from May 1980 (concerning the Alabama-Ole Miss resolution) was apparently incorrect. I had always thought it was six games for the reasons you cite, but it's difficult for me to argue with an article contemporaneous to the time since I didn't know. Further research turned up articles that stated that idea was wrong.

2) I turned up another cache of articles noting that the "only count six conference games" concept passed in 1980 was being debated prior to the 1977 season. It also turned up several articles that folks would smile about nowadays - including Indiana Coach Lee Corson warning the Big Ten that their plan to go round-robin by 1983 was going to cost the conference bowl bids and national championships and that the Big Ten needed to follow the SEC model of six conference games. Also - the SEC was talking about SEC-eding from the NCAA because of the limitations on TV.

3) The Georgia problem was actually the product of Ga Tech leaving the SEC. Pardon my assumption on that, but I was aware that was both Tulane and Tech left, they had to make some temporary modifications because scheduling games in the 60s wasn't anything like today.

But I would note this.....even playing only five games would really hurt a team if that had been the rule - you lose the conference by 1/2 game.

Side note: the ACC declared Duke, UNC, and SCAR ineligible for the conf title prior to the season in 1966 because they had not scheduled six conf games. That was reason for expulsion from the SEC at that time.
    The "Appointed Conference Games" were silly and it appears the SEC finally realized that in 1968 and temporarily suspended the six game minimum. I had a HUGE problem with Georgia having UNC as an appointed game in 1966 when, in 1964, Tulane's appointed game was Miami. Georgia played Miami in 1966. If Miami was fair for Tulane in 1964, why was it not fair for UGA in 1966? If Miami had been UGA's appointed game in 1966, then their laughable sharing of the SEC Championship with Alabama would not have occurred. Miami was UGA's lone loss in 1966.

BamaNation Second Team CoachInWaiting's Avatar

Itís a crying shame that Alabama has scheduled Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Miss, Western Carolina in the same season.
    If you think there is such a thing as an unimportant game, just try losing one.
    Gene Stallings
    ​They said Bear Bryant walked on water....Nick Saban swims through land.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Respectfully, you've got this a tiny bit wrong.

The rule prior to 1970 was that to remain in conference you had to schedule A MINIMUM of six SEC games, and the ADs were in charge of this, which is why Alabama did not play Ole Miss for nearly two decades (and vice versa. It was similar with LSU). Of course, the six-game schedule was the relic of the days there was a 12-team SEC that included Tulane and Ga Tech. Obviously once those teams left the SEC, it was much more difficult for teams to schedule six conference games or avoid each other.

In 1966, for example, Alabama and UGA split the SEC title despite UGA (technically) only playing five conference games. They spot UGA a break because they had had the Tech game scheduled for years, and the Yellow Jackets had left the SEC late enough that it was impossible for UGA to find a conference opponent (Ole Miss played 7 SEC games that year, and they couldn't schedule Alabama because of the "cool down" period following the alleged fix).

In 1970, the SEC began exerting a bit more control over the conference schedule (they basically said in 1966 for everyone to get things in order because changes were coming). One of the changes was that since it was now a 10-team conference, they reduced mandatory conference games from six to five.

What eventually happened was a complaint about Alabama "gaming" the system, which - in fact - we did.

In 1972, we won the SEC by 1/2 game over Auburn despite losing the infamous Punt Bama Punt game.
    Why did we win? Because we played eight conference games to their seven.

In 1977, we won the SEC by 1/2 game over Kentucky, but it wouldn't have mattered as UK was ineligible. Both teams were unbeaten.

On May 27, 1980, the SEC, Big Eight, Orange and Sugar Bowls met in Palm Beach, Florida to discuss several related issues. One was a potential swap between the Big Eight and SEC regarding which team went to which bowl. The conferences and the bowl games both realized the potential of repetitive bowl games, so they decided to see if they could reach an agreement on last-minute swaps. Obviously, this never happened.

At the same meeting, the SEC considered two requests by the football folks:
    1) going to an 8-game conference schedule starting in 1988
    2) set the conference champion on the basis of NO MORE THAN six conference games

Just by chance, Alabama and Ole Miss were scheduled to play SEVEN conference games in 1980-81. So the obvious solution was simply to declare those non-conference games because getting an opponent at a late date was next to impossible back then (these games had been scheduled in the mid-70s).

So you're correct that Alabama and Ole Miss played games that didn't count towards the conference - in 80 and 81.

But the mandatory games were only five (not six), and the games DID count in the standings, which is why we won the 1972 SEC title.
    You're probably 100% right on all of the above. I made my comments based on some article I read years ago where Coach Bryant had addressed some criticism from other SEC coaches for scheduling "an extra game". He explained that he and Coach Vaught thought the Alabama-Ole Miss rivalry was a good one and should be scheduled despite the whims of the SEC office. My memory was that he said the extra game didn't give Alabama an advantage, but he may have been referring to the '80-'81 ruling on those games. Either way, the argument was foolish if it was made, because the "extra game" could also be lost and could hurt as much as help.

Neither the facts nor the legend detract from my desire to see a "non-conference SEC game" between Alabama and an East Division team on the schedule. Maybe if Coach Saban agrees to only dress freshmen and walk-ons for the game, somebody will grow a pair and accept the challenge.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Iíd prefer a 9 conference game schedule.

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

Itís a crying shame that Alabama has scheduled Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Miss, Western Carolina in the same season.
    Got to admit that the schedule is pretty dead gum mediocre as a spectator. Week 3 will be interesting so will the game at A&M. LSU and @ Auburn are good match-ups but all of these are our conference opponents. I know when Duke was scheduled they were up and coming under Cut and they will give us a good game though 3 quarters. Just hard to get fired up over the offseason starting out with the Blue Devils instead of USC, Michigan, FLA ST and the like. Mexico State, Southern Miss, Western Carolina will be a good chance for our reserves to get some PT but these weekends are prime candidates for honey-do catchup weekends. Just hard to get fired up about games with no chance of competing against us. But that is the nature of the beast I guess. I like Nick's ideas but won't come to fruition in a million years.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    After how one game with Florida St nearly costed us a championship in 2017, what sane Alabama fan would want to make the schedule harder than what it already is?
    How did beating FSU 24-7 in 2017 nearly cost us a championship?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachInWaiting View Post
    How did beating FSU 24-7 in 2017 nearly cost us a championship?
    Betting he's referencing the injuries sustained in that game.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson