12 SEC team schedule

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
It’s time for the SEC to think outside the box with each team playing 12 SEC games each season. The SEC has a built in monopoly of football rivalry so there’s no need to share the revenue.

When the rest of the power five adopts this strategy then the season becomes a playoff so we eliminate the need to expand the playoff system to more than four teams.

The SEC needs to demonstrate this proof of concept before the current TV contract expires. The next TV vendor ( google, amazon, netflix) will triple revenue by focusing on intra conference games of the top 50 teams

Last edited:

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
It’s time for the SEC to break conventional wisdom and lead the power five by playing 12 SEC games each season. The SEC has a built in monopoly of college rivalry so there’s no need to share the revenue.

When the rest of the power five adopts this strategy then the season becomes a playoff so there’s no need to expand the playoff system to more than four teams.
That means every year, one SEC team wins the lottery as the one who doesn't play Alabama. I can just hear the conspiracies being spun even now....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It’s time for the SEC to think outside the box with each team playing 12 SEC games each season. The SEC has a built in monopoly of football rivalry so there’s no need to share the revenue.

When the rest of the power five adopts this strategy then the season becomes a playoff so we eliminate the need to expand the playoff system to more than four teams.
Baby steps....

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I still like the 3-5 formula. 3 permanent opponents and 5 rotating opponents. That way every SEC team plays every other SEC team at least twice every 4 years. Additionally every SEC team should have to play at least 2 other Power 5 teams.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I still like the 3-5 formula. 3 permanent opponents and 5 rotating opponents. That way every SEC team plays every other SEC team at least twice every 4 years. Additionally every SEC team should have to play at least 2 other Power 5 teams.
Sure about that? I don't think we've played South Carolina twice in the last 4 years, but I could be wrong.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That means every year, one SEC team wins the lottery as the one who doesn't play Alabama. I can just hear the conspiracies being spun even now....
Not that I'm in favor of it, but I guess if we played a round robin schedule we could go to 13 games and not have the SECCG because it wouldn't be needed.

Again, not suggesting this would be a good thing, but in theory, it could be done.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not that I'm in favor of it, but I guess if we played a round robin schedule we could go to 13 games and not have the SECCG because it wouldn't be needed.
Ask the Big 12 how that worked out for them.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Go back to 10 team conferences, play 9 conference games, 3 OOC games. Winner takes all. Let Mizzou and Arkansas join the Big XII. Vanderbilt to the Sunbelt and USCe to the ACC.

1. Alabama
2. Auburn
3. Ole Miss
4. Miss State
5. LSU
6. Tennessee
7. Georgia
8. Florida
9. Kentucky
10.Texas A&M

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It is all about the CFP. Why would we care about anything else in scheduling?
As I said, I'm not arguing for the merits of it, but that, in theory, it could be done. FWIW, I like it the way it is. No Bama fan should be in favor of changing our conference championship set up that has worked pretty good for us.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Go back to 10 team conferences, play 9 conference games, 3 OOC games. Winner takes all. Let Mizzou and Arkansas join the Big XII. Vanderbilt to the Sunbelt and USCe to the ACC.

1. Alabama
2. Auburn
3. Ole Miss
4. Miss State
5. LSU
6. Tennessee
7. Georgia
8. Florida
9. Kentucky
10.Texas A&M
Nah, I'd keep Vandy and give TAMU back under that arrangement.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

1. Alabama
2. Auburn
3. Ole Miss
4. Miss State
5. LSU
6. Tennessee
7. Georgia
8. Florida
9. Kentucky
10.Texas A&M
Big 12 wouldn't take any new teams since they are already at 10 and seem happy with their setup. Don't get rid of Vandy because of other sports.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The SEC should keep the intraconference games at 8 and up the P5 OOC to 2. The fewer conf games the better, otherwise it is less likely that 2 SEC teams will be in contention for a CFP berth. Also, if Bama and UGA played in the regular season one would have the advantage of playing at home, whereas now the 2 best teams play on a neutral field for the title and CFP berth - as it should be.

The primary reason that non-SEC confs have screamed about playing more conf games (Larry Scott admitted this a few years ago in a moment of candor) is because all but the Big 10 have to do it for the revenue because they don't draw well enough for "money" games, e.g., San Jose State, et al. It has nothing to do with having more "integrity" in their scheduling. IMO, the SEC should seek out other P5 games because on balance they will show their superiority. But again money is the main roadblock because most SEC programs can still fill their stadiums for "money" games.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This board is starting to get a number of threads that make me think therapy isn’t working for some folks, a dumping ground for theories that have zero chance of ever happening.

Like Boise winning a national title.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.