12 SEC team schedule

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
You dont think Miller and Lewis being hurt wasnt a huge reason why we lost to Auburn? FSU and Alabama beat the hell out of each other, FSU just got the worse of it. But Bama was hurting all year because of it as well.
Why does everyone read these posts and assign new meaning to them? Injuries certainly impact future games, anyone who said otherwise would be delusional. I never introduced injuries into this conversation, I just asked why someone thought playing FSU in the 2017 opener nearly cost a championship. That's it! Injuries were offered up as the basis of that comment (I have no idea if that was the reason or not) and don't happen to agree with the premise that injuries are a bigger risk against a better opponent. It is okay with me if anyone cares to have a different opinion. IT REALLY IS.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
There's nothing "wrong" with the theory. It simply exposes the problems with college football and it's scheduling and the scheduling "dog and pony show" schools feel like they have to play.

This somewhat touches on a topic Saban was harping on a few years back. We may tend to forget that Coach Saban IS IN FAVOR of a 9 conference game schedule. But he's also an advocate of a multiple loss team being given the chance at a national title. So in essence, it seems he's saying he wants a harder schedule, but if we're going to do this we've got to get away from the unofficial rule of "we can't have a multiple loss team competing for the national title". There's no doubt conference games garner higher attendance, higher revenue and higher viewership than OOC games like the Citadel.

I'll also throw in how idiotic it is that teams "have to" schedule games 11-12 years out. I saw something the other day where Florida and Texas had agreed to a home and home in 2031 and 2032. We can put a man on the moon and an object on mars. But lord knows we have to begin scheduling games a decade out and that's the only way we can do it.
You're absolutely right, there is nothing wrong with your theory. I must have been smoking crack when I said teams couldn't schedule anybody they wanted to.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Why does everyone read these posts and assign new meaning to them? Injuries certainly impact future games, anyone who said otherwise would be delusional. I never introduced injuries into this conversation, I just asked why someone thought playing FSU in the 2017 opener nearly cost a championship. That's it! Injuries were offered up as the basis of that comment (I have no idea if that was the reason or not) and don't happen to agree with the premise that injuries are a bigger risk against a better opponent. It is okay with me if anyone cares to have a different opinion. IT REALLY IS.
Seeing that I was the one who said it then I would assume it’s safe bet that injuries were the reason that I believe It nearly costed us a national championship. Maybe read all of the posts the poster you had a question about rather than getting angry because you believe no one is listening to you because you keep overstating your point and making different arguments altogether.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You dont think Miller and Lewis being hurt wasnt a huge reason why we lost to Auburn? FSU and Alabama beat the hell out of each other, FSU just got the worse of it. But Bama was hurting all year because of it as well.
I hate that game with a passion looking back on it. Just an ugly game all the way around. We were good enough to beat them by 40 but a plodding offense couldn't close the deal on too many drives. And they were good enough physically to make us work, and yeah, we beat the hell out of each other. Nothing good came from that game at all, for either team.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I hate that game with a passion looking back on it. Just an ugly game all the way around. We were good enough to beat them by 40 but a plodding offense couldn't close the deal on too many drives. And they were good enough physically to make us work, and yeah, we beat the hell out of each other. Nothing good came from that game at all, for either team.
I think what was lost in that point was that it was a close game between nearly identical teams and that close games usually lead to more injuries. It was never directly about fcs games not having their share of injuries, it was that close games have them more often so why schedule more than 1 good competition game when you have the sec schedule as well. Hell we lost 3 key guys in FSU and LSU game and couldn’t stop MSU and Auburn to save our life.

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Saban’s point was Alabama wasn’t challenged in 2018 and complacency cost us a championship. There’s something to be said for learning to overcome adversity before it costs you a ring.

If winning every is the goal then take your mickey mouse parade to disneyland and give UCF a championship ring.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Saban’s point was Alabama wasn’t challenged in 2018 and complacency cost us a championship. There’s something to be said for learning to overcome adversity before it costs you a ring.

Well quiet frankly if he is talking about the quality of the opponent then he is wrong because we played one of the toughest schedules in his tenure here. What cost us a championship is losing 2 of our most important defensive players for the season and having two recruiters as coordinators.

If winning every game is the goal then take your mickey mouse parade in disneyland and give UCF a ring.
You must hate the Saban era and love the Shula era with a statement like that. Because winning every game is the goal for championship teams.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Saban’s point was Alabama wasn’t challenged in 2018 and complacency cost us a championship.

There’s something to be said for learning to overcome adversity before it costs you a ring.
1) I must have been on some serious drugs during the Georgia game - because I was SURE I saw a guy basically lose a Heisman Trophy and go out injured and get replaced by another guy who had been injured the previous two months. Apparently, I was just hallucinating.

2) I'll tell Saban to make sure we fall behind 21 points every single game early on - that should satisfy you, no?

If winning every game is the goal
So you're saying we should just tank one....????? Maybe sit out that adversity with UGA, something something???

then take your mickey mouse parade in disneyland and give UCF a ring.

Dear Spock,

Please send back the Scarecrow.

Sincerely,

The Land of Oz

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
We seem to have gotten off topic so let me restate the question.

How many conference games should SEC teams play to avoid conference realignment when we renegotiate tv rights as speculated in the link below?

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...ma-Michigan-SEC-Pac-12-Big-10-ACC--118642101/

When conference TV rights begin to expire in six or seven years, my Amazon source says that Amazon and Netflix could easily be prepared to spend ten times what the networks are projected to have available.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We seem to have gotten off topic so let me restate the question.

How many conference games should SEC teams play to avoid conference realignment when we renegotiate tv rights as speculated in the link below?
My answer - The SEC rules college football. They don't have to change a thing.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...ma-Michigan-SEC-Pac-12-Big-10-ACC--118642101/

1) conference realignment will not happen because of conference games its going to be because Texas or Notre Dame makes a power move that threatens a conference's ability to generate enough money to keep network deals

2) Other than having more opposite division games what purpose does adding more conference games? Seriously do you want to suffer what teams like Ohio St and USC/Washington are suffering just to add to entertainment value. Sure if we had a toddler league like the ACC or Big 12 then I would be all for it, but we don't.

3) Just to humor you... 9 would the most I would be willing to go (But I'm whole heartedly against adding any)

When conference TV rights begin to expire in six or seven years, my Amazon source says that Amazon and Netflix could easily be prepared to spend ten times what the networks are projected to have available.

Netflix may not survive for 6 years with Disney pulling the plug on ALL properties. Amazon is not ready for it, and neither is Hulu. YouTube is probably the only streaming service willing to buy it. I think we are stuck with ESPN and CBS for a long time.

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Netflix generates most of it's own content. Google owns Youtube. The only reason folks still have cable are because of sports.

Netflix may not survive for 6 years with Disney pulling the plug on ALL properties. Amazon is not ready for it, and neither is Hulu. YouTube is probably the only streaming service willing to buy it. I think we are stuck with ESPN and CBS for a long time.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Netflix generates most of it's own content. .
And how much of that content was in some way or fashion linked to the Great Mouse? And speaking of the Great Mouse, who do you wager owns ESPN, SECN, and ABC? You really think someone is going to take the SEC from them? The only multi billion dollar asset that I'm aware of that the Great Mouse has ever lost rights to is Harry Potter, and that is more of an exception due to the weird nature of that situation and not the rule.

And FWIW Disney is launching ITS OWN streaming service to directly compete with Netflix...Gee I wonder who is going to win that

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Netflix will be fine but I'd be beyond surprised if they (or Amazon) somehow got the College Football or the NFL. They may get occasional games like Amazon and yahoo already have.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Netflix will be fine but I'd be beyond surprised if they (or Amazon) somehow got the College Football or the NFL. They may get occasional games like Amazon and yahoo already have.
I just don't think Netflix can afford to get into the sports arena with Disney already there. Plus they probably need to focus on bettering their product with the massive hit that Disney is already delivering them. Amazon I think is satisfied as is. But if a streaming service was to get into the game, then it would be most likely Hulu or YouTube. But even that is doubtful since they profit more from their tv service than their premium packages.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

What does the number of conference games we play have to do with "avoiding" realignment?

If other conferences opt to play regional football, we'll simply do the same.

Well, a lot of us have heard this one in another context that goes something like this:

"Texas can pay Saban more than Alabama can."

Well.....that's true. But it's ONLY true if one assumes Texas was going to pay $200 million PER YEAR for a football coach, which everyone knows they wouldn't.

The question is whether these groups have more money that they ARE WILLING TO ACTUALLY PAY to do this.

I seriously doubt Amazon or anyone else wants this so bad they will make an offer ten times above the networks.

Besides- NASCAR offers a precautionary tale of thinking the growth cycle only goes in one direction. And I would add it's been a bad marriage that they're still making work for the sake of the children all the way around.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, a lot of us have heard this one in another context that goes something like this:

"Texas can pay Saban more than Alabama can."

Well.....that's true. But it's ONLY true if one assumes Texas was going to pay $200 million PER YEAR for a football coach, which everyone knows they wouldn't.

The question is whether these groups have more money that they ARE WILLING TO ACTUALLY PAY to do this.

I seriously doubt Amazon or anyone else wants this so bad they will make an offer ten times above the networks.

Besides- NASCAR offers a precautionary tale of thinking the growth cycle only goes in one direction. And I would add it's been a bad marriage that they're still making work for the sake of the children all the way around.
Disney owns ESPN and ABC, and a share of Fox. If anyone thinks Amazon and Netflix wants to get into a bidding war with Disney then they don't understand business. Even if Amazon, Netflix, or whomever wins the rights, its going to be at a price that they probably don't break even. CBS may very well lose the SEC, but its probably to someone with deep pockets like Disney or NBC, not some steaming service that is in danger of tanking with every big boy decision they make.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.