The Citadel game should be the blueprint for Auburn game

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
This is a game we need to put the running game front and center. Get the OL to get in a good run blocking mode. That is all we need to do is run with the great backs we have to beat The Citadel and Auburn. Will not be blow outs, but we need to run and run and run. SECCG is where we will have to have Tua to win. We can beat The Citadel and Auburn at home just running. Protect Tua, let him play but, 95% hand offs, then throw when it is safe. No need to pass a lot, our running backs can carry us along with defense the next 2 weeks. In IB Tua may need to pass a few times to keep the run going, but our running backs have and will be the guys who carry us the next 2 weeks. You know if they get 15-20 carries they get better and better. We should rotate 2-3 backs and just pound them and little RB screens to get them in the open field. Do this at the Citadel to get ready for Auburn. NOW, if Tua is good to go in IB let him loose, but keep him healthy for SECCG, UGA will be a game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
JMO, but I think that you need to just run your offense. I don't think that the goal should be the protection of Tua.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1) thinking like this gets you beat and forces very gut wrenching games

2) We aren’t beating Auburn by just running the ball. Maybe you need to rewatch the 2017 ib

3) Auburn matches up better against us than UGA. UGA doesn’t have a good defense, Auburn does.

4) While Auburn is 6-4, they are a team that is fully capable of whipping our tails if we don’t go for the jugular early and often. 3 of the 4 losses they have are to top 25 ( 2 within the top 8). The UGA team that you are most concerned with had 17 snaps within the 5 yard line against them, and couldn’t score on them.

Point is Auburn is a very credible threat if they believe they can win, so strictly running on them is not a good idea seeing that elite running teams had trouble with them. If Gus allows Stidham to throw ,and he is on, it really could be a Prilosec game.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
IMO: We need to play our game, BUT WE MUST PROTECT THE QB.
If Tua can get a couple of scores early, we should eat em up with our run game.
When Auburn sells out to stop the run, we hit em with some screen passes.
The long ball may not be there, but we can get someone open somewhere, if we protect Tua and give him time.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is a game we need to put the running game front and center. Get the OL to get in a good run blocking mode. That is all we need to do is run with the great backs we have to beat The Citadel and Auburn. Will not be blow outs, but we need to run and run and run. SECCG is where we will have to have Tua to win. We can beat The Citadel and Auburn at home just running. Protect Tua, let him play but, 95% hand offs, then throw when it is safe. No need to pass a lot, our running backs can carry us along with defense the next 2 weeks. In IB Tua may need to pass a few times to keep the run going, but our running backs have and will be the guys who carry us the next 2 weeks. You know if they get 15-20 carries they get better and better. We should rotate 2-3 backs and just pound them and little RB screens to get them in the open field. Do this at the Citadel to get ready for Auburn. NOW, if Tua is good to go in IB let him loose, but keep him healthy for SECCG, UGA will be a game.
Just dance with who brought you, as Coach Bryant used to say. If we can't protect Tua against the Citadel, it won't matter. But we will and if we just run our O we'll have a big enough lead before he gets a grass stain on his pants from being hit by the defense.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yeah, UGA's SP+ numbers for run defense are surprisingly bad. I'm not sure why -- lots of talent over there.

They may be in for a very tiresome afternoon with Georgia Tech whose offense has quite respectable numbers. In fact, they'd rank 4th in the SEC on offense.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
IMO: We need to play our game, BUT WE MUST PROTECT THE QB.
If Tua can get a couple of scores early, we should eat em up with our run game.
When Auburn sells out to stop the run, we hit em with some screen passes.
The long ball may not be there, but we can get someone open somewhere, if we protect Tua and give him time.
If we give Tua time in the pocket to go through his progressions, he will pick apart anybody we play.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Dancing with Tua is all great, but he is not able to dance, look at Miss St game. This kid needs to rest his knee. One more hard knee hit and then what? Jalen is not ready and no way mac Jones gets us past Auburn or UGA. If Tua is hurt more this season is over. We would have a punchers chance with Jalen at 100% but he can barely walk. I know it is not the best plan, but really you want to risk Tua taking any hits in Citadel game and tossing the rest for the season out? Everyone knows his leg is messed up and that makes him an easy target. If we cannot beat citadel, and auburn with rushing and Mac then it is all a moot point anyway. Rather try to beat UGA with Mac? bahahahahahhahah not happening unless he gets real good in 1-2 weeks.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is a game we need to put the running game front and center. Get the OL to get in a good run blocking mode. That is all we need to do is run with the great backs we have to beat The Citadel and Auburn.
Nah. Just Let Locksley handle this one. We will have pass/run balanced playcalling.

SECCG is where we will have to have Tua to win. We can beat The Citadel and Auburn at home just running.
Nah..... Just let him play. Pointless to sit him out.
Protect Tua, let him play but, 95% hand offs, then throw when it is safe. No need to pass a lot, our running backs can carry us along with defense the next 2 weeks. In IB Tua may need to pass a few times to keep the run going, but our running backs have and will be the guys who carry us the next 2 weeks.
Nah... Won't work. You are allowing the defense to load up the box. We would not be successful running the ball 95 percent of the time. as I stated before, Let Locksley handle this one.

We should rotate 2-3 backs and just pound them and little RB screens to get them in the open field. Do this at the Citadel to get ready for Auburn. NOW, if Tua is good to go in IB let him loose, but keep him healthy for SECCG, UGA will be a game.
Nah.. You do know we already are rotating 2-3 backs in each game? D.H, J.J and N.H.... Sound familiar to you? We do run RB screens, but we've had trouble with it. The bottom line, OL needs to work on being more consistent blocking for Tua. Tua needs to work on getting the ball out or throw the ball away. RBs needs to work on picking up the blitzes. Do that and Tua won't get hurt.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Dancing with Tua is all great, but he is not able to dance, look at Miss St game. This kid needs to rest his knee. One more hard knee hit and then what? Jalen is not ready and no way mac Jones gets us past Auburn or UGA. If Tua is hurt more this season is over. We would have a punchers chance with Jalen at 100% but he can barely walk. I know it is not the best plan, but really you want to risk Tua taking any hits in Citadel game and tossing the rest for the season out? Everyone knows his leg is messed up and that makes him an easy target. If we cannot beat citadel, and auburn with rushing and Mac then it is all a moot point anyway. Rather try to beat UGA with Mac? bahahahahahhahah not happening unless he gets real good in 1-2 weeks.
You can't play scared. Injuries happen. What kind of message are you sending to every other Alabama player if you protect him at their expense? They are expendable?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think you are over thinking it. If Tua is as delicate as you think he is he wouldn't play at all in this game.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't agree with the OP's game plan thought at all for the reasons many of you have stated. I do know the game plan against The Citadel will be to strike quickly and put the game away and that will be done with a combination of Tua passes and runs by our RB's. We will show nothing new, the plan will be vanilla and that should not present a problem at all. The Barn will see some new things and the overall plan of striking quickly and put the game away early will be the same as any other game.

The typical workload for the 1's in the 11th game under Saban is they play the whole first half and the 1st possession of the 2nd half with us up around 42-0.

Last edited:

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
The best blueprint for the Auburn game would be to go out and open a can of whoop-ass on the Citadel.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The best blueprint for the Auburn game would be to go out and open a can of whoop-ass on the Citadel.
.eh, No need for that, I mean, it is the Citadel. Just play fundamental game with no injuries.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Auburn can barely run the ball, the citadel can barely throw the ball.

Auburn has a legit big boy SEC defense, the citadel gave up 32 points to VMI (1-9).

I don’t think this game means much in terms of scheme prep for Auburn...and I know next to squat about football.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I do wish that Bama would schedule teams that would not be radically different from the Barn.
I was at the Ga Southern ("They ran though our defense like [crap] through a tin horn") game. I'm not sure that game did much to prepare the Bama D for the Barn game, other than maybe humbling the Bama D a bit.
Scheme-wise, preparing for the Citadel won't help the Bama D much in getting ready for the Barn. They are just very different offensive schemes.

Last edited:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I just feel this should be an easy game to win just running,and our RB's have not gotten a lot of carries this year with Tua passing. Time to let them get in a game rhythm so we can just pound aubs with the run and then PASS. Plus a lot of running on Citadel allows Tua to stay healthy and heal up more. I feel we can protect him fine this week, but IB will be more difficult. Aubs do have a good defense, and they will come after Tua no doubt. I want him as close to 100% for IB and SECCG.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.