OU hunt for DC

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If it's a legitimate opportunity, personally, he has to consider it. OU has got to commit to more defense because the likelihood of following up Mayfield and Murray with another elite prospect next year is a remote possibility. Too much dependency on the QB position spells doom in the long run. A&M, Ole Miss, and Auburn are all proof positive of that.

Golding is a real reach for a program like OU. I think there much better more seasoned candidates out there for a program of their stature. Based on when he came on the staff, we dont even have a good feel for how good of a recruiter he is. The fact that you are targeting before the season is over a guy who is 10 months removed from the FCS who may have gotten credited with bringing in 2 of our defensive recruits doesn't signal to me you are wanting to get better immediately on defense. He may be another Jeremy Pruitt but even he was on our several years between 2 stints.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Candidates aside, I'd have to think twice about going to a place like OU to coach defense since it doesn't seem there is a commitment to excel in that area.
It's been a couple of years, seems like an eternity, but just 15 years ago OU was fielding top5 defenses year in and out. They remained a top20 scoring D until 2008, when they fell off dramatically, but were back in the top10 in 2009 before falling into the 30's for 2010 and 2011 after which Venables left for Clemson. 2012 saw Mike Stoops back at the helm and the decline has been there ever since.

I guess my point is that 15 years ago OU looked a lot like Bama does in 2018 - really good D matched up with a really good O. They have the talent, just need the right coach.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Candidates aside, I'd have to think twice about going to a place like OU to coach defense since it doesn't seem there is a commitment to excel in that area. It might have something to do with the style of play, but we've proven this year you can be elite on both sides of the ball even with a score fast offense. Seems to me there's not enough commitment to recruiting the athletes on the defensive side of the ball.
Yeah, they put their best athletes on Offense...which would work against a DC.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
If it's a legitimate opportunity, personally, he has to consider it. OU has got to commit to more defense because the likelihood of following up Mayfield and Murray with another elite prospect next year is a remote possibility. Too much dependency on the QB position spells doom in the long run. A&M, Ole Miss, and Auburn are all proof positive of that.
It's mostly a system. Most years, OU could put a jug machine in at QB and have it be a 3500yd passer.

That said, their DC is a bad job for a variety of reasons. Not that that really stops guys that could do much better from taking these jobs though.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
It would be an upward move but I think he may stick around to see what other better opportunities open up. 20 yrs ago being DC at a place like OU was a plum job, now it appears to be an ejection seat.

I would think getting Shoop at Miss State might be easier and frankly a better hire.
I was really impressed by Shoop last week! :cool:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
It's been a couple of years, seems like an eternity, but just 15 years ago OU was fielding top5 defenses year in and out. They remained a top20 scoring D until 2008, when they fell off dramatically, but were back in the top10 in 2009 before falling into the 30's for 2010 and 2011 after which Venables left for Clemson. 2012 saw Mike Stoops back at the helm and the decline has been there ever since.

I guess my point is that 15 years ago OU looked a lot like Bama does in 2018 - really good D matched up with a really good O. They have the talent, just need the right coach.
OUs competition fifteen years ago (in conference) wasn't all that...just saying. :cool:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
:rolleye2:

They were really good on D once Bob Stoops arrived - all you had to do was watch the games.

For the record, the SEC wasn't all the impressive in the early 2000's, either.
Big 12 defenses used to be GREAT! The black shirts of Nebraska were just one example of the kind of defense that used to be played down there.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
JMO, but I don't think that Golding is ready to be a DC. He does not understand all of the different aspects of a defense and is still learning. Unlike Tosh, he would not have someone like Saban to continue to learn from at OU. I think that it would be a bad move for all parties involved, if true.
I would agree...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Big 12 defenses used to be GREAT! The black shirts of Nebraska were just one example of the kind of defense that used to be played down there.
"Down there?" Half of Nebraska lies north of Ohio's northern border. It reminds me of my western friends referring to the east as "out there"... :D

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
First, I'm a little surprised at some of the snarky comments. When I first came on this board back when we had our home/home I was impressed with the quality and knowledge and mutual respect of the Tidefans community. My question is an honest one. Golding is considered one of two top candidates for the job along with the TOSU co-DC who's name escapes me. OU has a long and storied history of playing great D but the current product on the field is so bad that it elicited boos from the 87K plus at the OSU game Sat. As a long time season ticket holder and someone who has been a diehard fan for my entire 76 years I have never heard the fans boo the Sooners on Owen Field. We have wasted a generational O with the worst D I've ever seen OU play. Golding is young...see Riley. He has recruited Texas. He has Saban experience. He would be given free rein by Riley to shape the D and the D staff. We are simply a decent D away from potentially winning the NC but if Riley doesn't do something dramatic his early success won't last long. OU fans have the same expectations as Alabama fans. We've had a long and storied tradition of championship football...lots of similarities between the Sooners and the Tide although your recent run is admittedly unprecedented. Thanks for the input.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Owen, I apologize if my reply was snarky, there was no intent on my part. I consider you a respected poster and are welcome any time. My comment was to say working for CNS would be a high recommendation; however Golding has only been on staff less than a year and may not be ready, but you never know. There is really no excuse for a program like OU to not have a solid defense.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
OU is steeped in tradition, no doubt about that!

Yes, a great D is all that you lack to be a regular in the CFP. Your offense has been amazing and Saban probably took note and did same.

Apologies for the snarkiness on the board. Yes, we are better than that...

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
First, I'm a little surprised at some of the snarky comments. When I first came on this board back when we had our home/home I was impressed with the quality and knowledge and mutual respect of the Tidefans community. My question is an honest one. Golding is considered one of two top candidates for the job along with the TOSU co-DC who's name escapes me. OU has a long and storied history of playing great D but the current product on the field is so bad that it elicited boos from the 87K plus at the OSU game Sat. As a long time season ticket holder and someone who has been a diehard fan for my entire 76 years I have never heard the fans boo the Sooners on Owen Field. We have wasted a generational O with the worst D I've ever seen OU play. Golding is young...see Riley. He has recruited Texas. He has Saban experience. He would be given free rein by Riley to shape the D and the D staff. We are simply a decent D away from potentially winning the NC but if Riley doesn't do something dramatic his early success won't last long. OU fans have the same expectations as Alabama fans. We've had a long and storied tradition of championship football...lots of similarities between the Sooners and the Tide although your recent run is admittedly unprecedented. Thanks for the input.
Unfortunately, society as a whole has become more "snarky". I think Golding is a superstar in the making. I hope he stays at Bama for a few more years. That being said, he will be a success where ever he goes and we will win with him or without him.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I have tried to imagine what it must be like to be an Alabama fan during this unprecedented run under Saban. In 1957 62K fans sat in stunned silence when Notre Dame ended our 47 game winning streak and they did it on the hollowed ground of Owen Field. That period of Sooner football, even more so than the Switzer or Stoops tenures is the only time in my personal experience that rivals what you all have experienced. All the more amazing is that it's been accomplished during a period of limited scholarships, the internet, and limited practice time. Saban is in my mind only rivaled by Bill Snyder in my lifetime as the best ever. Snyder's legacy is different for obvious reasons but they are both legendary.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The recent defenses of the Big 12 are historically terrible and Oklahoma's is right there with them. I think a few snarky comments were deserved.

I would hesitate to say Golding has Saban experience. One year isn't really experience. It seems here recently that a light has turned on for the defense, but what if that light was more Tosh and less Golding? What if the simplification Saban mentioned was more his influence and less of our Co-DCs? I think the jury is still out on these two, although they may be beginning to shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I have tried to imagine what it must be like to be an Alabama fan during this unprecedented run under Saban. In 1957 62K fans sat in stunned silence when Notre Dame ended our 47 game winning streak and they did it on the hollowed ground of Owen Field. That period of Sooner football, even more so than the Switzer or Stoops tenures is the only time in my personal experience that rivals what you all have experienced. All the more amazing is that it's been accomplished during a period of limited scholarships, the internet, and limited practice time. Saban is in my mind only rivaled by Bill Snyder in my lifetime as the best ever. Snyder's legacy is different for obvious reasons but they are both legendary.
Real fans cherish every win. I'm only 41 and I've seen much worse football than what I see now. I put a little happiness back from every win and NC because I know winter is coming and the wolves are waiting to pounce when this dynasty stumbles. It will stumble, as all things do.

My ten year old son has absolutely no idea what he's witnessing, but he loves every win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.