OU hunt for DC

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
ofd - To me, the comments just felt like a bunch of fans having some fun. Maybe at your expense as a fan of a rival, but not personal. They rib all of the rivals in similar fashion, but it is good natured. Folks on this board have a great deal of respect for programs with the kind of tradition that the Sooners bring to the table, and the fans like yourself who come here to talk about the game.

I hope that you fix your defense. It really is the only thing holding you back right now.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
"The recent defenses of the Big 12 are historically bad"...I'd counter that to some degree to say, the recent offenses in the Big 12 are historically good. It's a tough conference to play D in but it can be done...see Gary Patterson. No OU fan expects our D to be top 10 when defending the wide open schemes in the conference but if we are simply a ove average we are with our O a tough out.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
"The recent defenses of the Big 12 are historically bad"...I'd counter that to some degree to say, the recent offenses in the Big 12 are historically good. It's a tough conference to play D in but it can be done...see Gary Patterson. No OU fan expects our D to be top 10 when defending the wide open schemes in the conference but if we are simply a ove average we are with our O a tough out.
Yup - at this point if your D can stop the opposing offense on one or two drive, the game is won. These offenses are REALLY tough to stop - just look at OU-UGA last season, and UGA was no slouch on D last year.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
The Rose Bowl was as painful an experience I've ever had watching OU. Ironically, we had played some decent D last year...see TOSU but our inconsistency was never more obvious than vs Georgia. I thought we would have had a real shot at you guys last year. This year, you have an O to match your D. Not sure we can out score you but boy would I love to see Tua and Kyler on the same field. It would be epic.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The Rose Bowl was as painful an experience I've ever had watching OU. Ironically, we had played some decent D last year...see TOSU but our inconsistency was never more obvious than vs Georgia. I thought we would have had a real shot at you guys last year. This year, you have an O to match your D. Not sure we can out score you but boy would I love to see Tua and Kyler on the same field. It would be epic.
I could easily see a game this year being won by us in some sort of ridiculous shoot out. It would be a ton of fun. I agree last year was a better matchup for you than this year would be.

I can tell you one thing, I'll probably sell a kidney to see it live if we somehow do meet in the playoffs.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Owen, you are always welcome here, and actually wish you would post more often on our board. I see a lot of potential in Golding but as others have said I think the jury is still out. On top of that, I think the culture needs to change a bit there for a DC to be successful. Barry used to say “we do all our passing in the pregame warmups.” In other words, the thought of passing was not engrained in the culture. That’s where your D is now. I know Riley is a mastermind on O, but do you think he understands that?

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
35, we are not a passing dominant O. We are balanced and we rarely use tempo. Riley is a savant in terms of offensive scheming and play calling. It's the most devastating OU offense since the early days of the wishbone. We do worry about Riley's TT background but he has made it clear ( firing Mike Stoops) that he wants equal success on D.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yah, if you watch OU, they run the ball a lot more than you'd think by just looking at the score. It's a REALLY balanced offense, and I agree that Riley is an offensive savant. He not only sets up plays brilliantly but knows how to call plays that leave someone on the D exposed seemingly every snap.

For the numbers guys, OU's offensive snaps in 2018:
Rushing: 377 attempts for 2,574 yards
Passing: 271 attempts for 3,197 yards

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Yup - at this point if your D can stop the opposing offense on one or two drive, the game is won. These offenses are REALLY tough to stop - just look at OU-UGA last season, and UGA was no slouch on D last year.
Yes they can be tough to stop...however the Rose Bowl was with OU having over a month to rest and prepare. Could the OU of 2017 play a tough/emotional home game against a (mostly healthy Alabama) then turn around and play at Jordan-Hare or Death Valley the next week at night?? That offense was legit and Baker was a legit Heisman winner and #1 pick but I wonder if they would survive that grind. The SEC may not always have offenses that average 40-50 ppg but they still play great defense. At least for what the rules allow for these days.

We enjoy your company Owen and respect the storied tradition of OU but some of the comments of OU’s defense are truthful. OU has gotten away from playing good defense and it has cost them dearly over the last 10 years.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yes they can be tough to stop...however the Rose Bowl was with OU having over a month to rest and prepare. Could the OU of 2017 play a tough/emotional home game against a (mostly healthy Alabama) then turn around and play at Jordan-Hare or Death Valley the next week at night?? That offense was legit and Baker was a legit Heisman winner and #1 pick but I wonder if they would survive that grind. The SEC may not always have offenses that average 40-50 ppg but they still play great defense. At least for what the rules allow for these days.
Worth noting that Sagarin has OU playing a tougher schedule than Alabama last year (they played four top 10 teams and one ranked #11). They're not out there playing East Popcorn State every week.

I get what you're saying, but I guess you'd be surprised - OU is littered with elite athletes, more than most SEC schools: https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Let me add - I've several close friends who are OU fans, and I've watched a decent amount of Sooner games over the last few years with them. It was insane how commonly (under Mike Stoops) OU would hold a team on 1st and 2nd down, bringing up something like 3rd and 6. Then you'd see all the secondary - not one or two guys, ALL of them - lined up about 12 yards off the LOS. Ball is snapped, quick read and toss, boom, first down. If the receiver makes the first guy miss, it's off to the races.

Over and over and over I saw this. It was mind boggling. And that's 100% coaching.

It's not about the talent, they just haven't had the coaching, and I firmly believe Bob could not bring himself to fire his brother. Give OU a good DC and they'll be lights out - just watch. They have crazy talent all over the field.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Let me add - I've several close friends who are OU fans, and I've watched a decent amount of Sooner games over the last few years with them. It was insane how commonly (under Mike Stoops) OU would hold a team on 1st and 2nd down, bringing up something like 3rd and 6. Then you'd see all the secondary - not one or two guys, ALL of them - lined up about 12 yards off the LOS. Ball is snapped, quick read and toss, boom, first down. If the receiver makes the first guy miss, it's off to the races.

Over and over and over I saw this. It was mind boggling. And that's 100% coaching.

It's not about the talent, they just haven't had the coaching, and I firmly believe Bob could not bring himself to fire his brother. Give OU a good DC and they'll be lights out - just watch. They have crazy talent all over the field.
If I were OU I make the DC the highest paid DC in the country and go after someone with a track record of coaching elite defenses. You have the offense to win championships with Riley there and who knows how long he'll stick around, so sell out on defense and find a stud coordinator asap. I'd go after all the big guys like Aranda as LSU even if I didn't think it was likely that they'd leave.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
A new DC may be the least of your problems. The Cowbag sunshine pumpers are convinced Son of Jerruh is going after Lincoln Riley, to replace Jason Garrett.

We'll see if he has the clout to tell his dad what they are going to do. That day will eventually come, and if it does, this season..................well, you may find yourself in need an entire coaching staff.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
If you got on our boards you'd quickly realize how totally disgusted the fan base is with our D. I too think it's more coaching than talent but we haven't had a legit D-tackle since Gerald McCoy. Riley knows the natives are restless and as happy everyone is with him as HC it won't last long if something drastic doesn't happen. Firing Mike Stoops was a start. Bob's nepotism ran Venables off and allowed Mike to apply a slow poison to our D. Mike should have been fired after the Rose Bowl. We need another home/home.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
If I were OU I make the DC the highest paid DC in the country and go after someone with a track record of coaching elite defenses. You have the offense to win championships with Riley there and who knows how long he'll stick around, so sell out on defense and find a stud coordinator asap. I'd go after all the big guys like Aranda as LSU even if I didn't think it was likely that they'd leave.
Aranda is in line for a HC job. Don’t see him making a lateral move.

I would love an OU/Bama CG. I really thought it was finally going to happen last season. Thanks to Mike Stoops IMO, it didn’t.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
OK is an Offensive juggernaut.
If OK had a tough SEC type Defense too, they would be a National team to be reckoned with...
BUT... It's gonna mean putting their Money where their mouth is and dropping big bucks on a quality Defensive staff. Even doing that, they will have to recruit some big tough Defensive guys to win... IMO: That would take a couple of years.

Sevenmm

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 16, 2018
Hello Bama Fans, and OU Sooner here, BUT before you pass me off, please know I lived in Alabama as a child, Clanton, Alabama and have fond memories there; I'm much older now, and since I was born in Ark. my blood does run red in every direction. I've always admired the times we've played each other, (I can say that from either side, :) ), the respect and quality of people bespeaks what we put on the field. I've heard we may be interested in Golding from Coach Saban's staff, if so, I hope it works out well. This is crunch time for all and I think Bama has to still be the favorite going into this weekend. I'm sure you all are enjoying the run you are on and its got to be a wonderful feeling as winning and championships are. If you guys are okay, with it I'll check on here from time to time and add or not as a regular guest member. Just a tid bit about me; I rec'd a national athletic award as a Jr. in high school back in the day and was recruited by Oklahoma, Okla. State and others till a medical problem caused me to have to quit playing, broke my heart, so I've lived it every play of every team I enjoy so much; I have a grandson from Miss. who was recruited by Nick's staff a while back and all the other SEC schools, family issues prevailed on him so he stayed home and ran the business....talk about one that got away, wow. Anyway, I wanted to say Hello and say a bit as an intro to myself, former Bama resident......shout out to you, Hello.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.