Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Actually, like Bama you have had 3 coaches winning 100+
Bob Stoops: 190 wins
Barry Switzer: 157 wins
Bud Wilkinson: 145 wins
Bennie Owen: 122 wins

Biggest diff is OU's top three coaches (Stoops, Switzer, Wilkinson) won a combined 7 national titles.

Alabama's top three HC's have won 13 national titles, and the top five won 17 national titles.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Having 100 wins as a head coach just means that you didn't suck enough to get fired. Having 4 coaches do this at one school means that you are a destination program, not a stepping stone. But many schools had coaches just as capable who never reached 100 wins at their school because they just walked away from coaching before they got there. Notre Dame had 2 head coaches with multiple national championships who did not reach that milestone simply because they wanted to do other things.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Interesting little factoid:

The Sooners are the only team since 1936, when the Associated Press poll debuted, to surrender 40 points in three consecutive games and still win all three.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The scuttle is that Golding is bringing in Eric Henderson, DL coach from the L.A. Chargers and DB coach Scott from Alabama. All have Texas recruiting experience. Scott and Golding were together at UTSA. Golding will be given free rein to put the D staff together. From what I've read he is considered the Lincoln Riley of defense. Many think he'll be a HC in 3 years. Of course, talk is cheap and rumors are a dime a dozen. We shall see. All I know is we have wasted a generational O by fielding a D that is embarrassing.
Herein lies the issue of making this hire for OU, if he is that brilliant and may indeed be a HC candidate in 3yrs what has OU really accomplished in hiring? Not all of your defensive issues are exclusively scheme related. Say they recruit well by the time they are ready to make a contribution your DC prodigy is gone off to be a HC. Can your defensive be completely resolved in less than 3yrs? Color me skeptical on that.

I can’t imagine there being any candidate having a more meteoric rise than Jeremy Pruitt and took him 2 bookend stints at Bama and 2 other DC stops over 9 years to translate that into a premier HC position. It’s no coincidence that the NC consistency Bama achieved over the last decade included the 7yrs that Kirby Smart was DC.

Consistently good on defense is the only sure way to win championships. It’s amazing how many coaches fail to embrace this foundational principle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Bob Stoops: 190 wins
Barry Switzer: 157 wins
Bud Wilkinson: 145 wins
Bennie Owen: 122 wins

Biggest diff is OU's top three coaches (Stoops, Switzer, Wilkinson) won a combined 7 national titles.

Alabama's top three HC's have won 13 national titles, and the top five won 17 national titles.
Owen only won 93 at OU. As you pointed out, the national titles and I'll add winning % are the more important "facts".

Edit: I checked his record at sports-reference which has him with 93 but wikipedia has 122. s-r counts only 1909 between 1906-1911 as "major school" seasons. Not that it really matters but it is interesting.

Last edited:

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
"Owen won 93 at OU"...either you are wrong or our SID is a liar and we are not known for putting out misinformation about our program. I am not here to defend our process for improving the D. I'm just saying that we have a problem on D and rumors are we have come up with a solution. I will say this...if the rumors are true, Golding can set a foundation in 3 years that should bode well for the future. By the way, did any of you watch the Rams vs Chiefs last night...a Big 12 shootout on MNF.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I am at a loss to define the 2 different totals for Owen. If you go to Wikipedia on all OU coaches it shows Owen at 122 but in another Wikipedia site its 93. The AP, DMN, OU athletic dept., etc. say 122. Regardless, my point was that we have had success hiring assistants with no HC experience. Riley and Wilkinson are eerily similar...both assistants when HC leaves/retired and were so impressive in their brief roles as assistants that they were elevated.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
How bad is the OU D ? There are no words to describe how bad our D is. If we didn't have Kyler Murray we'd be a .500 team. We have literally wasted a generational offense over the past 3 years because our D is so bad. With just a decent D we would have played in 2-3 championship games. Its embarrassing to watch and has caused boos to rain down at our last 2 home games.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I remember when Mike Stoops and Brent Venables were Co-DC. I always thought that Bob Stoops showed a great deal of nepotism. I guess Venables had all he could handle and bolted to Clemson where he has certainly made a huge difference in getting Clemson to the NC level. Didn't Mike Stoops leave OU for a HC job for a couple of years and Bob Stoops hired him back when he got canned? Arizona comes to mind. Checked it out HC at Arizona 2004-2011.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I'm an Owen - probably not the one you're asking - from the Sand Mountain clan (late 1700's I believe) and before then, north east North Carolina . . . and I think pigs will fly before Stoops finds his way to the cow pasture!

Roll Tide

I agree, but simply wanted someone plugged into the OU program to quash this outrageous rumor that was evidentally started on barn internet boards.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
$1.2 mil I say he’s gone. And he will take Karl Scott with him most likely. I don’t see us paying $1.5 million or more to retain a guy that is unproven. OU is desperate to get a competent DC and they want someone young.
If he does leave, Saban will open the rolodex and get a good one to replace both...........if the rumors were/are true, he probably already has them in mind

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I have no inside info on Stoops but the circumstances surrounding his retirement and his current situation tell me he will never coach again. Now, anything is possible but if his agent let the word out that he was interested in coaching again, there are a boat load of programs way up the coaching pyramid he'd consider before Auburn. He has a son who is on the Sooner squad now and is RS'ing as he recovers from an injury. Remember, Bob was not forced out. He made the decision on his own primarily because he watched his father die coaching. He had been warned about the stress and his family history of heart disease.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I have no inside info on Stoops but the circumstances surrounding his retirement and his current situation tell me he will never coach again. Now, anything is possible but if his agent let the word out that he was interested in coaching again, there are a boat load of programs way up the coaching pyramid he'd consider before Auburn. He has a son who is on the Sooner squad now and is RS'ing as he recovers from an injury. Remember, Bob was not forced out. He made the decision on his own primarily because he watched his father die coaching. He had been warned about the stress and his family history of heart disease.
This is in line with what I was thinking when I first heard this rumor. Bob seems to be enjoying retirement and remains close to the Oklahoma program. He even made the trip up to Miami(OK) a few weeks ago with a bunch of who’s who of OU football to attend the unveiling of a statue of their former heisman winner Steve Owens in his hometown.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.