OU hunt for DC

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Greetings my friends. Long time away from your forum. There's a rumor, although unsubstantiated, that your co-dc is our top choice to become DC in Norman. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter. I'd love to see a Tua/Kyler shoot out in the playoff but I think its doubtful we make it even if we win out. Happy T'giving!!!

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
This will probably get moved to our Coaching Carousel thread, where we discuss all coaching moves. That said, not sure OU can outbid UA for our own assistants to take a lateral move, but we shall see.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This will probably get moved to our Coaching Carousel thread, where we discuss all coaching moves. That said, not sure OU can outbid UA for our own assistants to take a lateral move, but we shall see.
I agree. Golding is good, but he needs one more season under Saban. Tosh/Golding had issue with our defense early in the year, so both were learning on the job. It would make sense for Golding to stay one more year because it's possible Tosh could go after next year... who knows?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
JMO, but I don't think that Golding is ready to be a DC. He does not understand all of the different aspects of a defense and is still learning. Unlike Tosh, he would not have someone like Saban to continue to learn from at OU. I think that it would be a bad move for all parties involved, if true.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Candidates aside, I'd have to think twice about going to a place like OU to coach defense since it doesn't seem there is a commitment to excel in that area. It might have something to do with the style of play, but we've proven this year you can be elite on both sides of the ball even with a score fast offense. Seems to me there's not enough commitment to recruiting the athletes on the defensive side of the ball.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Trying to find defense at any school in the Big 12 is like trying to find Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster. There are a lot of crazy people that claimed to have seen it, but it just doesn’t exist.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Golding is the ILB coach, right?

Ironic that OU is targeting the coach of the group that had the most returning experience, yet has had the most issues......

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Color me not surprised. This has become the MO in hiring coaches at a lot of programs, see who Nick Saban hires and when your team has an opening you have your man. I do agree that only having one year at Alabama does not necessarily make anyone a good hire, but you never know how someone is going to work out. It would definitely be an upgrade for OU.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Ironic that OU is targeting the coach of the group that had the most returning experience, yet has had the most issues......
Haven't really thought about it. Did the ILB have the most returning experience?

You're just talking about two guys in Moses (true sophomore that backed up Mack and Evans) and Mack (true junior that was a backup as a freshman and most of his sophomore year).

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Ain't happening. If Lupoi sticks another year or two, and has continued success on the field and off (recruiting ace), he gets Pac-10 HC nibbles. Golding would be best advised to stick around on that premise alone.

However, our Boomer But Defensive Bust Sooner correspondent may recall a bumper sticker circa early 80s about Barry (Switzer) doing something or other for Larry (Lacewell), and extrapolate that maybe the Chokies should put in a fired Shoop (Bobby) for a fired Stoops (Mike) in hopes of reviving a fundamental tenet of championship college football in Norman.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
It would be an upward move but I think he may stick around to see what other better opportunities open up. 20 yrs ago being DC at a place like OU was a plum job, now it appears to be an ejection seat.

I would think getting Shoop at Miss State might be easier and frankly a better hire.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Haven't really thought about it. Did the ILB have the most returning experience?

You're just talking about two guys in Moses (true sophomore that backed up Mack and Evans) and Mack (true junior that was a backup as a freshman and most of his sophomore year).
Maybe the DL had a little more experience....not sure....but to me that was the one position coming into this year that I was least worried about.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.