Link: 53 years ago, Nov 14-16, 1965 Ia Drang Valley South Vietnam

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Heroes all. I salute the soldiers who served and damn the politicians who sent them there. Hal Moore's book is a great read.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Heroes all. I salute the soldiers who served and damn the politicians who sent them there. Hal Moore's book is a great read.
We Were Soldiers Once....And Young (the book by Hal Moore), and We Were Soldiers (the movie starring Mel Gibson) are both excellent. Highly instructional on leadership -- Moore in country, and his wife back home, and Sergeant Plumley is one for the ages.

Also about the consequences of stupid decisions -- the idiot leading his platoon off, separating them from the body of troops, and getting most of them killed, all in the quest for medals. And of wise ones born of desperation...you will never, ever, hear the words, "Broken Arrow," the same way again.

In the book, but not the movie, was the subsequent engagement, Landing Zone X-Ray. At least as ferocious and brutal as the Ia Drang, it is nevertheless not as well known.

Invest a few hours reading and watching. You will be well rewarded.

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
We Were Soldiers Once....And Young (the book by Hal Moore), and We Were Soldiers (the movie starring Mel Gibson) are both excellent. Highly instructional on leadership -- Moore in country, and his wife back home, and Sergeant Plumley is one for the ages.

Also about the consequences of stupid decisions -- the idiot leading his platoon off, separating them from the body of troops, and getting most of them killed, all in the quest for medals. And of wise ones born of desperation...you will never, ever, hear the words, "Broken Arrow," the same way again.

In the book, but not the movie, was the subsequent engagement, Landing Zone X-Ray. At least as ferocious and brutal as the Ia Drang, it is nevertheless not as well known.

Invest a few hours reading and watching. You will be well rewarded.
Ken Burns' documentary on the Vietnam War interviews people who were at Landing Zone Xray (American and Vietnamese). Their recount of the battle sent chills up my spine. I cannot imagine being in that situation. They were sitting ducks.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Ken Burns' documentary on the Vietnam War interviews people who were at Landing Zone Xray (American and Vietnamese). Their recount of the battle sent chills up my spine. I cannot imagine being in that situation. They were sitting ducks.
i was able to watch the burns documentary this summer while at home recovering from surgery. it was very well done but also very disturbing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.