Charleston Classic Game 1: Alabama - Northeastern (1 pm CT)

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
I can take a loss, even a blowout loss, but the lack of hustle and display of no sense of urgency is hard to handle. This team is not near talented enough to coast. They better be able to play their A Game every night. Shooting comes and goes, but DEFENSE Travels! They better learn how to defend against the 3 point shot. Pitiful performance all the way around.

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
I want so bad for Bama basketball to be good again and fun to watch. But it's just not happening! Another year of watching bad shooting and sub par ball.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Why, though?

The line for the game was 4. ESPN's win probability for Alabama was 68%.

Again, I'm not happy with the loss. Primarily because the way it happened. Why do some just assume Alabama is going to beat a team like Northeastern, though?
Well, I can only speak for myself, but CAJ has been in T-town long enough to recruit a few solid classes, and we have some seasoned vets who should know how to bring consistent effort to the court for each game. I was hoping that we were to the point where we could assume that we will beat a team like this. Unfortunately, it seems that we are not. One game does not a season make, but this is definitely one that leaves a bad taste and makes me think in the back of my mind, "Oh no, here we go again." It's funny because I was just watching the Purdue v. App St. game and was wanting to see how Purdue was doing against them when I saw today's Bama score. I felt a bit deflated.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Agreed.

While I don't want to lose to a team from the Colonial, I can understand losing to one that is very good and has experienced veterans. This game was just bad. It's the type performance that will leave a very bad taste in fans' mouths and is ammo to those that like hot seat talk.
Who likes hot seat talk.....I know I don't. And I'm sure I'm one of the folks you were aiming that at. But -- geez.....this game is about progress.....and I'm not sure how much progress we are seeing. We still have no scorers.....the freshman can, but he's young. MAYBE Ingram -- but he has no touch.....so it's more bull in china shop as he drives the lane.

When Bama has been good is when we have 2-3 people who can score consistently. We just don't have that. I put that on Avery.....

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Bad effort and lack of focus throughout the game. NE could move the ball around. Our offensive movement was way too slow. Donte Hall was invisible. Hopefully, we will improve.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I know this may sound "defeatist" -- but I would almost prefer the Mid-Major approach -- less elite talent, team approach, "George Mason" style -- and have a great team every 3 years..... than what we are doing now.

Sorry for being negative -- just grumpy

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Missed this game but was shocked by the score. I’m a longtime Bama fan and I miss when were relevant like we were in the Wimp days. I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll ever see a truly great basketball team at Bama again in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, I can only speak for myself, but CAJ has been in T-town long enough to recruit a few solid classes, and we have some seasoned vets who should know how to bring consistent effort to the court for each game. I was hoping that we were to the point where we could assume that we will beat a team like this. Unfortunately, it seems that we are not. One game does not a season make, but this is definitely one that leaves a bad taste and makes me think in the back of my mind, "Oh no, here we go again." It's funny because I was just watching the Purdue v. App St. game and was wanting to see how Purdue was doing against them when I saw today's Bama score. I felt a bit deflated.
I can understand this, which is why I asked for an elaboration.

Who likes hot seat talk.....I know I don't. And I'm sure I'm one of the folks you were aiming that at. But -- geez.....this game is about progress.....and I'm not sure how much progress we are seeing. We still have no scorers.....the freshman can, but he's young. MAYBE Ingram -- but he has no touch.....so it's more bull in china shop as he drives the lane.

When Bama has been good is when we have 2-3 people who can score consistently. We just don't have that. I put that on Avery.....
You know what I mean. There are some fans that will never be satisfied and call for a coach’s job the moment things start to look bleak even though they provide zero solutions other than “Fire him! He lost to ______!!”

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
For the guy who mentioned App St and Purdue above, Purdue was in control the entire game by 20+ points in the 2nd half.

It would be pitiful for the entire front court to only score 2 points versus Duke, mich less Northeastern. One of my big wishes when Pelphrey was brought on was to develop solid big men, and that isn't happening.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I know losing Sexton was tough, but I thought we had enough returning players that the drop-off wouldn't be that severe. Seems like we're just trying to out-athlete more fundamentally sound teams. I don't get the sense that many of the players know their roles within the offense or defense, and they lose their composure when the other team dictates tempo as Northeastern did. This looks like the Bama team that lost 5 or 6 in a row going into the SEC tournament and relied on a single transcendent player to get them to the NCAA. The pieces are there for a good team. Hope CAJ knows how to get this turned around. It is early, so let's hope they learn from this loss.

Rolltidegirl205

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2014
Disappointed but I didn't expect this year to be better than last year. We lost a quality guy to the NBA in Collin Sexton.
Basketball is my first love, so going through these years of not having a solid basketball team at Alabama is really frustrating as a fan. I hope in the future, we can establish some sort of program that makes us a championship team.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I know this may sound "defeatist" -- but I would almost prefer the Mid-Major approach -- less elite talent, team approach, "George Mason" style -- and have a great team every 3 years..... than what we are doing now.

Sorry for being negative -- just grumpy
I'd settle for guys looking like they are coached well and that perform because of it.

Sometimes it doesn't even look like we run actual offensive plays.... or if we do and the D makes us reset we just dribble around the perimeter before a last minute bad shot selection is forced.

We can't seem to even handle switching on defense. On Ball.....Off Ball.... doesn't matter. Guys look completely lost at times.

And sweet baby in a manger we are perennially TERRIBLE as Free Throw shooting. I know that wasn't so much an issue for this game but it's an ongoing problem.

I feel like we have a good group of young talented players and we aren't evenly remotely coaxing the best out of them.

We should have seeded higher last year and made the Sweet 16 AT LEAST with a player like Sexton.

I mean I realize we can't just keep firing coaches but if this year goes how it looks like it's going to go then CAJ is probably going to have a worse 4-year resume than CAG.

I apologize for being negative too but it's getting so frustrating. I want our Basketball Program to be at least 'Good' again. To somewhat compete for an SEC Title or Win a SEC Tourney or make a Sweet 16.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
As negative as I'm feeling, I have to remind myself: 1) Coach Johnson seems to struggle with determining player lineups and rotations, especially early in the season; 2) Bama players need to gel and get comfortable as best point guard is new and 3) Northeastern has very experienced players with plenty of time playing together.

Turnovers were down and shot selection wasn't awful; things can change quickly once the shots start to go in. Still a little to much hesitation in getting shots off.

I'll probably watch Ball State game after recording it.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
You can take some solace in the fact that Northeastern is likely going to be a tournament team, but yeah, that can't have been fun.
Now we know how Auburn’s football season must feel. You know one of us couldn’t resist [emoji3].

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
FWIW, Pelphrey was not at the game yesterday. He had a family situation that caused him to miss. He's expected back today.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.